White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM
WSI Regular

Hoping he goes to OAK and they win it all. Braves can suck em.

Wonder if this'll get done tomorrow so he can pitch Tuesday and stay on his normal schedule? Go get a good haul, Ricky.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM
WSI Regular

Peter Gammons@pgammo1m
A's not in on Peavy price(Gray, Russell & take on bearly $20M), ditto Boston, ditto Atlanta. Time running down
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
If I were a rival GM I would ask the Sox to absorb as much as possible and give them a small return back. It is simple negotiation. Form all reports the offers out there are not that great for him so I doubt its an A propect even with the money. So you are looking at a range from B-C.
Yes, but that negotiation has to help them make the playoffs. Playoffs = job security for most GMs. They can offer nothing, which would mean the Sox decline.

If we're talking small difference, I'm for shedding $$$. If there is a big difference, hopefully ownership realizes that value and is willing to make an investment considering the state of our farm system.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Regular

Is that a fake Peter Gammons account? Cuz now I'm pissed.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
It's legit

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
You don't have to trade Peavy this year, but I don't think the market is getting better in the offseason.
I certainly agree with you. This should be peak value for Peavy. Heck you're getting him for the key part of a year plus another year; in the offseason, he's a rent.
So we may have to drop the asking price some...likely will still be higher than the offseason. We'll see.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
It's the story Sunday night, let's see if it's still the story Wednesday night before we get pissed.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Peter Gammons@pgammo1m
A's not in on Peavy price(Gray, Russell & take on bearly $20M), ditto Boston, ditto Atlanta. Time running down
**** 'em then. We don't need to trade Peavy now. If they don't want him at our price, then they can try and win the World Series without Jake Peavy.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:26 PM
WSI Regular

It seems like a bargain basement year for trades. No one wants to commit anything. Any moves being made are minor ones or ones that involve little salary sans the Cubs moves which are a whole separate category. Worse players have garnered more than this but what are you going to do.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
**** 'em then. We don't need to trade Peavy now. If they don't want him at our price, then they can try and win the World Series without Jake Peavy.
Agree 100 percent. Hahn is the one holding the cards here. Peavy is the best pitcher available on the trade market. You want him? Ante up.

If teams are only offering B and C prospects, to hell with that. I'm not accepting a mediocre package like the one the Cubs got for Garza, especially since Peavy isn't a rental. He's under contract at a reasonable rate for 2014.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Agreed. And FWIW, I love it if Hahn is really asking for Gray and Russell. That would be a hell of a package.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Agree 100 percent. Hahn is the one holding the cards here. Peavy is the best pitcher available on the trade market. You want him? Ante up.

If teams are only offering B and C prospects, to hell with that. I'm not accepting a mediocre package like the one the Cubs got for Garza, especially since Peavy isn't a rental. He's under contract at a reasonable rate for 2014.
Yup, just too bad Jake had yet another freak injury to hurt his stock after the way he was throwing the ball early. I want us to capitalize on the trade deadline as much anybody, but I just as soon let him pitch out the year and try again in the Winter with the way the ball is leaving his hand again, trusting that he will finish strong, if teams are getting cheap.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Yup, just too bad Jake had yet another freak injury to hurt his stock after the way he was throwing the ball early. I want us to capitalize on the trade deadline as much anybody, but I just as soon let him pitch out the year and try again in the Winter with the way the ball is leaving his hand again, trusting that he will finish strong, if teams are getting cheap.
Here's the thing, if the Sox felt remotely ok with holding onto Peavy (and his contract) the rest of the way this season why not eat money at the deadline and get a better prospect(s) in return. To me it makes more sense to eat the money now (if that's what teams are asking for) then to take a risk for the next 2 months.

I just don't see how waiting helps, to me the Sox take more risk that Peavy blows out his arm and whatever team may want him only gets him for 1 possible playoff run then 2.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
Here's the thing, if the Sox felt remotely ok with holding onto Peavy (and his contract) the rest of the way this season why not eat money at the deadline and get a better prospect(s) in return. To me it makes more sense to eat the money now (if that's what teams are asking for) then to take a risk for the next 2 months.

I just don't see how waiting helps, to me the Sox take more risk that Peavy blows out his arm and whatever team may want him only gets him for 1 possible playoff run then 2.
It's not my money, so I have no problem giving it up. Hahn is at the mercy of ownership when it comes to final approval on $, however, and has to manage resources appropriately. If JR says, you can give them X dollars, but that's X dollars you can't use to improve your team for x years, then you have to negotiate appropriately. It ****ing sucks, and I loathe it, but it's the reality of most GM's situations. You have your sell point, and you have your buy point, somewhere in the middle is reality and it takes two to reach that. Regardless, I don't let the other team dictate my demands once I'm sure of the path I want to take with a player and I hope Hahn is the same way, all reasonable negotiations aside.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree. The Sox don't have to trade any of their pitchers as far as I'm concerned. The reality is 4 or 5 pieces the Sox can add via trade of Rios or any other deals are F.A the Sox could contend right away.
Closed Thread