White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Back to the topic, MLB trade rumors was debating who has more trade value between Garza and Peavy. They mentioned that whoever acquires him can keep him for another year and get a draft pick. Which brings up the question, should the Sox keep Peavy and get the draft pick? I think it depends on the offers.
I think it depends on who's making the pick.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
I'm not saying I advocate trading him, but if someone calls and knocks your socks off you listen.

Apparently, the don't trade Sale for anything ever camp doesn't remember the Bartolo Colon to Montreal trade. You know, the one that fetched Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and some left handed starter named Cliff Lee. There are no guarantees, but I'd take a package like that any day.
This is the crucial part of your post.

For the record, I'd listen as well, but wouldn't expect anyone to give anything I'd want for him.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Sale is someone you build around, not use as a building block for a trade.
Mike Trout is perhaps the number one player in baseball to build around.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I'm not saying I advocate trading him, but if someone calls and knocks your socks off you listen.

Apparently, the don't trade Sale for anything ever camp doesn't remember the Bartolo Colon to Montreal trade. You know, the one that fetched Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and some left handed starter named Cliff Lee. There are no guarantees, but I'd take a package like that any day.
True
But if the Cubs where offered Mike Olt, CJ Edwards and Neil Ramirez for Garza.
Then I would think the Sox should take that offer for Peavy and still keep Sale.

Always looking for Game used jerseys
Check out my collection at
http://whitesoxcollectibles.webs.com/
Old 07-22-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
True
But if the Cubs where offered Mike Olt, CJ Edwards and Neil Ramirez for Garza.
Then I would think the Sox should take that offer for Peavy and still keep Sale.
There's not a real top 50 prospect in the bunch. Olt is fading and the other 2 still have work to do.
Not really the package we need, imo.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

This has been beat into the ground already, but.

If I was building a team from the ground up, I'd rather have dominant starting pitching than one great hitter. I think almost anyone would.

If I was offered Mike Trout or Chris Sale as the first piece when building a team, I would take Trout. I think almost anyone would.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI High Priest

The reason you take Mike Trout over Chris sale is impact. Trout has the ability to impact 150 game per year, Sale has a chance to impact 35.

The difference between Trout and say, Miguel Cabrera, Miguel can change the game with 1 swing of the bat.

Trout can change the game with 1 swing, but also with his speed and his defense.

If you were offered Sale or Trout, pick 1, and you picked Sale, you be laughed at.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
The reason you take Mike Trout over Chris sale is impact. Trout has the ability to impact 150 game per year, Sale has a chance to impact 35.

The difference between Trout and say, Miguel Cabrera, Miguel can change the game with 1 swing of the bat.

Trout can change the game with 1 swing, but also with his speed and his defense.

If you were offered Sale or Trout, pick 1, and you picked Sale, you be laughed at.
Pretty much and, not to rehash the tired "will Sale blow his arm out?" argument, but when you're talking about the injury risk of pitchers vs. position players, it is certainly safer to bet on the position player.

It's one thing when people speculate about 5-star blue chip prospects like Jurickson Profar when talking about "Would You Trade Sale for...?" kind of stuff. Giving away a proven #1 type pitcher for the promise of players who will be better tomorrow for no real discernible reason is laughable. Mike Trout is a legitimate MLB superstar. He's a not a "he'll be ready to go in 2014 or 2015" kind of guy. He's a the fundamental dynamics of our entire team just changed for the better kind of guy.

That said, it's never going to happen, so this is all sizzle and no steak.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 07-22-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

Leaving Fantasy Baseball and returning to the real world. I think it is interesting that Yankee rumors have been mostly non-existent. They are fielding an offense that looks as bad as the White Sox except they have Cano. But they played Boston in Boston pretty even this weekend. Maybe Yankee management can now be lured into interest in a Rios/Peavy package. That could increase the Boston offer and maybe the White Sox can get a solid return in young talent.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Leaving Fantasy Baseball and returning to the real world. I think it is interesting that Yankee rumors have been mostly non-existent. They are fielding an offense that looks as bad as the White Sox except they have Cano. But they played Boston in Boston pretty even this weekend. Maybe Yankee management can now be lured into interest in a Rios/Peavy package. That could increase the Boston offer and maybe the White Sox can get a solid return in young talent.
Never underestimate the Yankees trying to get Boston to overpay for something. A couple years ago Cashmans spooked Theo by taking Carl Crawford (a guy the Yankees really weren't interested in, at least anywhere near the asking price) out for dinner.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
The Yanks don't want salary beyond this year. They'd be more likely to be in on Garza.

Might be a fit for Konerko...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI Regular

Nick Cafardo@nickcafardo3m
We hear Red Sox prefer peavy over garza but remain active in talks on both. Much will hinge on buchholz second opinion with dr Andrews
Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Colon was a season away from free agency, was being paid about $5 million and was due for a raise to more than $8 million in his free agent year, which the White Sox ended up being stuck with. The White Sox and their fans expected more out of him, all things considered, and he continued his downhill slide after signing for bigger money with the Angels. Colon with the Indians was not a pitcher they were going to be able to build the team around.

The White Sox control Sale through 2019 and his current contract earns him less than $1 million for this season. Even when he gets his big raise next year, he will be making substantially less than Colon made a decade ago when he was traded.

Of course you listen to offers for everyone. Harry Frazee, who owned the Red Sox almost a century ago, said when asked if his players were for sale, "My hat's for sale. Make me an offer." That's what he was quoted as saying before he sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees, anyway. There are good deals and there are bad deals. When the Indians traded Cliff Lee, whose stock was higher than Colon's when the Indians traded him, they got four prospects, the most impressive of which was Lou Marson. The pitcher they got in the deal never got past Class A, and he's out of baseball.

The White Sox know what they have in Sale. They control him. He is not a drain on their payroll. He is worth more to the Sox than Colon was to the Indians when the Indians traded him 11 summers ago. If you are going to trade Sale, you are going to want more than another team's prospects in return. If you are going to shop Sale, you are going to do it when more teams are buyers than simply the contenders who aren't going to give up components to their contending season.

The deadline deals that result in players trading their stars for multiple stars in return are the exception.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Well, Garza has been dealt to the Rangers. So let's go, Peavy.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
We hear Red Sox prefer peavy over garza but remain active in talks on both. Much will hinge on buchholz second opinion with dr Andrews
Oh well............ bad news for White Sox

Farrell said after receiving good report from dr Andrews buchholz more willing to pitch with discomfort
Closed Thread