White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
Those were the good old days, when Knue and other Trib lackeys would post on WSI rationalizing (or more often denying) the obvious editorial bias. What a hoot.
That's the thing, the Cubune Headline threads really just wrote themselves; all you had to do was look at the Tribune coverage that day and add some parody to make it funny.

That said, I will miss Gonzo as I think he is the one Trib writer who has consistently treated the Sox fairly. As a fellow Illini and Western Suburbanite, I'm inclined to cut Colleen Kane some slack as she comes up to speed. Good luck to her.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Never underestimate the far reaching tentacles of WSI.
June, 2003: I joined WSI.
September, 2003: Jerry got dumped.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Now that the paper has divested itself of the Cubs -- or was it the other way around, after all? -- they must think it's safe to have a real reporter cover them instead of Sullivan, who rolled over when Hendry and McPhail reamed him for supposedly critical coverage of their team. I wonder if Sully now gets rewarded for his post-beatdown loyalty or exiled to the on-line Trib with fellow apologist George Knue. Those were the good old days, when Knue and other Trib lackeys would post on WSI rationalizing (or more often denying) the obvious editorial bias. What a hoot.

Good luck, Gonzo.
I think Sully gets Van Dyck's role. He retired a couple of months ago.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
'Nuff said.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
That's the thing, the Cubune Headline threads really just wrote themselves; all you had to do was look at the Tribune coverage that day and add some parody to make it funny.

That said, I will miss Gonzo as I think he is the one Trib writer who has consistently treated the Sox fairly. As a fellow Illini and Western Suburbanite, I'm inclined to cut Colleen Kane some slack as she comes up to speed. Good luck to her.
And bummer for Gonzo to have to cover the Cubs - but that's my Sox bias showing. Good luck to Colleen!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

And I thought you were promoting dumping the #1 Jerry in the Sox organization, oh well at least you werent behind getting Jerry Lewis bumped from the telethon.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

I may be in the minority but I felt that Gonzales' coverage/reporting had slipped in recent years, especially this year. So I'm not upset about this move - maybe a change will be a breath of fresh air.

Colleen Kane has done a great job covering Illinois and high school sports in the past so hopefully she will pick up the ball, that I felt, Gonzo dropped.

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Never leave a question unasked: Why didn't the new reporter get assigned to the Cubs and Gonzalez remained with the Sox?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Sadly, I don't remember any beat writer in town writing any must-read stuff for years. Teams control their message pretty well these days.

I usually hear about breaking news on the Score. I don't have the time and energy to follow a million sports writers on Twitter. I basically let the Score serve as my editor and present to me what it feels is important.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
There were rumors that Jay Mariotti wanted to make a comeback in Chicago as the Tribune beat writer for the White Sox. Guess he'll have to keep looking for another job.
Good Lord! I am thankful that didn't happen!

Quote:
Now that the paper has divested itself of the Cubs -- or was it the other way around, after all? -- they must think it's safe to have a real reporter cover them instead of Sullivan, who rolled over when Hendry and McPhail reamed him for supposedly critical coverage of their team. I wonder if Sully now gets rewarded for his post-beatdown loyalty or exiled to the on-line Trib with fellow apologist George Knue. Those were the good old days, when Knue and other Trib lackeys would post on WSI rationalizing (or more often denying) the obvious editorial bias. What a hoot.
The bias of some Tribune writers (Mark Gonzalez excluded) was, indeed, quite a ridiculous hoot. And is it really gone?

Remember all the Phil Rogers' columns where he bemoaned the trade of John Ely to the Dodgers? How could the Sox deal a local kid with so much promise for Juan Pierre, remember? Rogers seemed to write at least a couple columns annually where he said that. Here are Ely's career stats: a 4-13 record with L.A. and a 5.70 ERA.

When is the last time you heard Rogers, Paul Sullivan or any Cub beat writer talk about the first Matt Garza deal? The initial deal was this: the Cubs dealt OF Sam Fuld and four prospects, pitcher Chris Archer, catcher Hak-Ju Lee, catcher Robinson Chirinos and OF Brandon Guyer for pitcher Matt Garza, OF Fernando Perez and pitcher Zachary Rosscup. Let's review that deal:

Of the players that the Cubs received, only Garza had any impact at the major league level. Let's look at the Tampa side. Fuld has been a good 4th/5th outfielder for the Rays the past two years. Lee was injured but has come back and is playing very well at SS for AAA Durham. Lee is only 22 and is probably the Rays' future SS.

Guyer is still in the Tampa system hitting .300 for Durham. At 27, he is no longer a top prospect. Chirinos played briefly for the Rays and is now in the Texas system.

And what about Chris Archer? Archer, 24, is dominating the American League this year. He is 6-3 with a 2.39 ERA. He will almost certainly be in the mix for the AL Rookie of the Year and is a mainstay in the rotation of what is likely the AL's best and most balanced team.

Ever hear Phil Rogers spend 20 seconds bemoaning the trade of Chris Archer, Hak-Ju Lee or even Sam Fuld?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 AM
WSI Personality

In terms of fairness, Gonzales was that. In terms of understanding the nuances of baseball, I was never impressed with him. He was also an awful writer.

I for one am looking forward to a new byline from the Trib.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
WSI Prelate

I thought Gonzales did a really good job.
But i also like how the Tribune rotates beat writers. It prevents, or should prevent, reporters turning into cheerleaders or haters.

Speaking of Lip - where's he been?
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dump Jerry?!?

Who could think of dumping a talented, multi-faceted, internationally famous genius such as myself?

If you could say a man with a splinter in his finger and a nail in his foot who was then struck by lightning is not hurt, then yes, you could say I'm not hurt.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I thought Gonzales did a really good job.
But i also like how the Tribune rotates beat writers. It prevents, or should prevent, reporters turning into cheerleaders or haters.

Speaking of Lip - where's he been?
Are you referring to the mid-season swap of Cubs/Sox writers that hasn't been done in a generation?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Gonzo on a podcast talking about the switch and the deadline moves. http://midwaymadness.com/2013/08/mid...ay-episode-83/