White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 05:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Post Did anyone see this coming

Before the season I thought the Sox were going to win about 84 games. With Keppinger our only pick-up and letting AJ walk I didn't see us giving Detroit a run for the division. Never in my worst nightmares did I see a train wreck of massive proportions like we are seeing with this team, did anyone see this coming. I'd like to compare this to the 67-68 seasons when in 67 we led the AL for most of the season and lost 5 games in a row to the 2 worst teams in the last week, much like last years meltdown. In 68 the team fell from one of the best to one of the worst much like this year, same thing then, no one saw it coming. In some respects 68 was a bigger shocker because the White Sox were always contenders with 17 straight winning seasons and some like me had never seen a White Sox losing season.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM
WSI Personality

No, I thought they would probably be around .500. I did not anticipate this train wreck.

I thought with the good pitching they have on paper, along with the decent defense from last year, they would at least be .500. The offense would continue to sputter.

But this nightmare took most by surprise I would think. Several players are going backwards rather than getting better, Viciedo comes to mind, as does Flowers.

The bullpen melting down so many times was a surprise too. They've lost way too many games after leading late, due to the bullpen.

Not a good year at all.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
The bullpen melting down so many times was a surprise too. They've lost way too many games after leading late, due to the bullpen.

Not a good year at all.
Actually the White Sox are tied for 4th with the least blown saves in the AL.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:52 AM
WSI Regular

I was wondering when our offense would fail like this. For far too long, the "home run or nothing" approach has needed to go.

In a way, I'm glad that this has happened. Maybe now this organization will get it's head on straight and start getting players who actually want to play baseball and not home run derby.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
The pen overall has been terrible about putting guys on base. Do that often enough (and we do it plenty) and runs end up on the scoreboard. There have been more than a few games with the score tied late that we've pissed away. 5-11 in extra inning games and 14-24 in one run games (but I think you can blame at least some of the close losses on a pathetic offense.)
Old 08-03-2013, 07:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is the season I expected last year. But I forgot TWTW of AJ. With aging veterans, no real leadership in managing, and a core of undisciplined hitters it has progressed quickly. To be honest, I know it's unpopular but the day we signed Dunn, this is the future I expected. We had way too much money invested in him and Peavy to be that solid across the board. Whether or not it's his fault, a jinx, I just don't see him being on winning teams.
Also, are people finally willing to get off walkers back with finger pointing?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Before the season I thought the Sox were going to win about 84 games. With Keppinger our only pick-up and letting AJ walk I didn't see us giving Detroit a run for the division. Never in my worst nightmares did I see a train wreck of massive proportions like we are seeing with this team, did anyone see this coming. I'd like to compare this to the 67-68 seasons when in 67 we led the AL for most of the season and lost 5 games in a row to the 2 worst teams in the last week, much like last years meltdown. In 68 the team fell from one of the best to one of the worst much like this year, same thing then, no one saw it coming. In some respects 68 was a bigger shocker because the White Sox were always contenders with 17 straight winning seasons and some like me had never seen a White Sox losing season.
I did not see this coming. I didn't expect the Sox to contend but nor did I see them stinking so very, very badly.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Like a lot of you I figured them to be around .500, no more than 5 games above or below. However, due to the makeup of our lineup and the sad situation on the farm I knew this sort of thing was possible. I just didn't see it coming this year. Next year or the year after without a serious upgrade in the roster maybe.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Where do we rank in save opportunities? Since we seem to score only one or two runs a game, I/m thinking there have not been as many as most other teams.

All hail The Rick
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
WSI Personality

Default Baseball History

I sure didn't think this team would be this bad. This White Sox season is unlike one I have ever seen. I've seen some bad White Sox teams in my lifetime but this is a team that is making White Sox baseball history. This is the only last place White Sox team I've seen that has decent pitching. This team is in last place because it can't hit. The base running and defense has been bad but we've had teams like that in the past. We have scored 3 or less runs in 70% of our games this year. Hopefully Hahn will add 2 or 3 hitters in the off season to correct this problem.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

No, I didn't see this either. In May and early June I was angry about the sloppy defense and inability to drive in runs. As they've continued to sink since then I just sort of gape at them. I don't get it.

Like so many others I thought they'd finish around .500 with steady pitching and defense and modest hitting. The pitching has generally held up but the other two legs of the stool have completely fallen off.

I'm hoping this is a weird anomaly that will be resolved for next year. It's like a car that had been reliable then suddenly has a string of failures: bad starter, failed air conditioner, broken fuel pump. You wonder how something that seemed to work so well could have so much trouble at the same time.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Pegged em in the 70's with the thought if everything went right they could be close to a .500 team.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM
WSI High Priest

I expected more out of this team because I foolishly thought Dunn would get it all together and earn his salary along with thinking Alexei would make strides. I expected more out of the bullpen too. Crain being injured after his dominating start and Thornton/Veal's struggles didn't help. Besides them, we're throwing a lot of young arms out of there.

Where I have been greatly disappointed by the Sox is at catcher. We have constantly ignored that position and Flowers was showing before this year that he wasn't the answer. I'm not sure what Phegley will offer us in the future, but I'm hoping if there is a great catching prospect available with our more-than-likely top-3 pick, that we will consider taking him.

I'm not sure what 2014 will bring. My hope may be 75 wins, but moreso I want to get Alex and Dunn off the books and see what we have ready in the minors while getting a good package of FAs to come in for 2015.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I sure didn't think this team would be this bad. This White Sox season is unlike one I have ever seen. I've seen some bad White Sox teams in my lifetime but this is a team that is making White Sox baseball history. This is the only last place White Sox team I've seen that has decent pitching. This team is in last place because it can't hit. The base running and defense has been bad but we've had teams like that in the past. We have scored 3 or less runs in 70% of our games this year. Hopefully Hahn will add 2 or 3 hitters in the off season to correct this problem.
There aren't 3 players available to correct the problem of this team's lineup. Outside of pitching, this team needs a complete rebuild.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Like a lot of you I figured them to be around .500, no more than 5 games above or below. However, due to the makeup of our lineup and the sad situation on the farm I knew this sort of thing was possible. I just didn't see it coming this year. Next year or the year after without a serious upgrade in the roster maybe.
Ditto.