White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Last year the Sox won 85 games. This year, Robin came in with experience. The experience argument is stupid. This is baseball.

BTW, 6 dropped flyballs today in the majors. Managers were bad.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM
WSI High Priest

I like Robin. He's likeable. That will buy you near endless amounts of slack.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I like Robin. He's likeable. That will buy you near endless amounts of slack.

Very simple and true. It is a fact of life that a likeable person will get more slack than an unlikeable person.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Last year the Sox won 85 games. This year, Robin came in with experience. The experience argument is stupid. This is baseball.

BTW, 6 dropped flyballs today in the majors. Managers were bad.
Players making mistakes isn't the manager's fault, the same players making the same mistakes is.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Very simple and true. It is a fact of life that a likeable person will get more slack than an unlikeable person.

"I draw... people smiling, dogs running, rainbows. They don't have meetings about rainbows."
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I read about a manager needing or not needing coaching or managerial experience at either the minor or major league level here. I wonder if a manager needs much baseball experience. In the old days there was a manager, 3rd and 1st base coach, pitching coach and I believe a roving hitting coach (roamed the minor league clubs and the big league club). Now in addition there is a hitting coach, assistant hitting coach, bullpen coach, assistant bullpen coach and bench coach on the big league team. The manager has to be a administrator, not a great baseball mind. If he has a good baseball staff, his job is just coordinating their efforts and being a communicator to his staff, players, media, the GM and in the Sox case the president and chairman.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Given the downturn in the play of the White Sox, and so many clamoring for a managerial change, I'd like to suggest replacing Ventura tomorrow with Ken Harrelson - with a twist.

Have Harrelson manage the team, but don't relieve him of his play by play duties. Given today's technology it would be easy to put a microphone on him while he's on the bench. Harrelson's ego is certainly big enough to handle it, and White Sox fans would be getting more of what they evidently crave.

"So like I was tellin' y'all when the last inning ended, Dick Tracewski had such a heavy sinker that.............C'MON UMP THAT WAS A STRIKE.........well anyway................WHAT?...............when he........hold on a second here folks.............NO NOT YOU COOP - THE PEOPLE AT HOME............uh...........hold on.............(walks out to the mound)........LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE OUT OF GAS HECTOR.........LET'S JUST KILL A LITTLE TIME TO LET DONNIE WARM UP..........anyway, Tracewski threw this sinker...............NO HECTOR, I KNOW YOU DON'T THROW A SINKER, I'M TALKING TO THE FOLKS AT HOME.........well now the ump's coming out here to break this up............."

I would pay to watch this.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
Given the downturn in the play of the White Sox, and so many clamoring for a managerial change, I'd like to suggest replacing Ventura tomorrow with Ken Harrelson - with a twist.

Have Harrelson manage the team, but don't relieve him of his play by play duties. Given today's technology it would be easy to put a microphone on him while he's on the bench. Harrelson's ego is certainly big enough to handle it, and White Sox fans would be getting more of what they evidently crave.

"So like I was tellin' y'all when the last inning ended, Dick Tracewski had such a heavy sinker that.............C'MON UMP THAT WAS A STRIKE.........well anyway................WHAT?...............when he........hold on a second here folks.............NO NOT YOU COOP - THE PEOPLE AT HOME............uh...........hold on.............(walks out to the mound)........LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE OUT OF GAS HECTOR.........LET'S JUST KILL A LITTLE TIME TO LET DONNIE WARM UP..........anyway, Tracewski threw this sinker...............NO HECTOR, I KNOW YOU DON'T THROW A SINKER, I'M TALKING TO THE FOLKS AT HOME.........well now the ump's coming out here to break this up............."

I would pay to watch this.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
New At WSI

End of last season: If Sox go only .500 (8-8) for last 16 games, Tigers would have needed to go 12-4 just to tie. Sox go 3-13. Now this. Why is there any discussion? I loved Robin as a player, but as a manager he's an epic failure. The experiment is over.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM
WSI Prelate

People like him and he didn't hire himself.
But he's a dreadful manager in all phases.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsand View Post
End of last season: If Sox go only .500 (8-8) for last 16 games, Tigers would have needed to go 12-4 just to tie. Sox go 3-13. Now this. Why is there any discussion? I loved Robin as a player, but as a manager he's an epic failure. The experiment is over.
Exactly. He had a lot of missteps in his celebrated first year but for whatever reason, people gave him a free pass.

It's amazing how well the Sox plan worked. RV might be the only manager capable of managing this train wreck and not draw the torches and pitchforks. Good job Kenny.

Sure, this team is bad, but it has also quit on him. The proof is in the complete lack of focus which manifests itself in base-running/fielding blunders.

In the meantime, look around the division - Francona, Gardenhire, Leyland, and Yost. Those are baseball lifers who have dedicated themselves to the managerial profession.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Calling Ventura responsible for this train wreck would be like calling a track coach Paulie hired horrible for not showing him how to be Bolt in a race. People need to grow up. Blaming the manager for everything is silly. Alex Rios loafed in Toronto. He loafed for Ozzie. He loafed for Robin. He will loaf for his next manager. Alexei Ramirez makes spectacular plays, but he's made boneheaded plays since he's been here, and doesn't have Paulie at 1B saving him errors anymore. Alejandro De Aza was claimed on WAIVERS. There's a reason for that. He's a boneheaded player and always will be.

Changing the manager solves nothing. Greg Walker used to be responsible for the White Sox offense being inept. They got rid of him, but when did they lose 9 games in a row when their starters had quality starts when he was around? The players need to change.

Joe Maddon is considered a good manager. His first 2 years in TB his teams lost 101 and 96 games. You should go back and look at the talent and individual performances of those teams. You wouldn't trade those teams for the current White Sox.

Last edited by dickallen15; 08-05-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ventura is partly responsible for this season's debacle. The team has taken on his personality and they play like it....which is kinda flat. But when you lose as much as Ventura has, after a while the team tunes the manager out, the media and fans turn on the manager and it's only a matter of time before the manager gets fired. However Ventura is the anti-Ozzie and the press and fans have really eased up on him. Compare that to the way Ozzie was treated when the Sox were actually competitive.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
Calling Ventura responsible for this train wreck would be like calling a track coach Paulie hired horrible for not showing him how to be Bolt in a race. People need to grow up. Blaming the manager for everything is silly.
Who is blaming him for everything? Methinks you are reading too much into what people are saying - that Robin was inexperienced and a bad hire.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Who is blaming him for everything? Methinks you are reading too much into what people are saying - that Robin was inexperienced and a bad hire.
He won 85 games last season with zero experience. This year, he HAS experience, so your experience argument makes zero sense.