White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 02:38 PM
WSI Personality

Those of you worrying about catching Minnesota don't have anything to worry about after last night. Especially with that bullpen.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI Guru

Joe Mauer.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Those of you worrying about catching Minnesota don't have anything to worry about after last night. Especially with that bullpen.
Who is worrying about it? I want to catch Minnesota, but I don't expect it to happen, nor am I worried about the consequences if it doesn't.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

What would catching Minnesota do?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
What would catching Minnesota do?
Nothing. But it's something the team could set as a goal to keep themselves motivated and mentally engaged the rest of the year. I don't want guys giving away at-bats and tanking games. I want to see some energy on the field, and that has been lacking at times this year.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Nothing. But it's something the team could set as a goal to keep themselves motivated and mentally engaged the rest of the year. I don't want guys giving away at-bats and tanking games. I want to see some energy on the field, and that has been lacking at times this year.
I want to see what Avisail Garcia does in the last two months. I want to see if Gordon Beckham can stay above .300 the last two months. I want to know if Hector Santiago or Andre Rienzo have a place in the rotation next year.

The idea of wanting to catch the 4th place team in the division just seems really silly and pointless to me.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I want to see what Avisail Garcia does in the last two months. I want to see if Gordon Beckham can stay above .300 the last two months. I want to know if Hector Santiago or Andre Rienzo have a place in the rotation next year.

The idea of wanting to catch the 4th place team in the division just seems really silly and pointless to me.
That's because you've yet to comprehend what I'm saying. I'm not repeating myself again.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Wanting to see the next generation of young players on your favorite baseball team play well and offer hope for next season is silly and pointless?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:44 PM
WSI Guru

And today's game is really an illustration of the point I've been trying to make. Not much energy or intensity out there. The manager and the coaching staff should give these guys a goal for the rest of the year. Maybe it doesn't need to be catching Minnesota. Maybe you just say, "Hey, guys, let's try to go 6-4 on this homestand." Or, "Well, we've got 46 games left. Let's try to go .500 the rest of the year."

Do something, anything, to give these guys some motivation other than personal pursuits. I don't think it's silly and pointless to set goals like that. Something needs to be said or done to prevent lackluster performances like today. Doesn't matter that they lost. I just don't want to see guys going through the motions and giving away at-bats. Use this time to get better. Compete like it matters. Let the wins and losses fall where they may.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
And today's game is really an illustration of the point I've been trying to make. Not much energy or intensity out there. The manager and the coaching staff should give these guys a goal for the rest of the year. Maybe it doesn't need to be catching Minnesota. Maybe you just say, "Hey, guys, let's try to go 6-4 on this homestand." Or, "Well, we've got 46 games left. Let's try to go .500 the rest of the year."

Do something, anything, to give these guys some motivation other than personal pursuits. I don't think it's silly and pointless to set goals like that. Something needs to be said or done to prevent lackluster performances like today. Doesn't matter that they lost. I just don't want to see guys going through the motions and giving away at-bats. Use this time to get better. Compete like it matters. Let the wins and losses fall where they may.
Who knows what happens behind closed doors. Maybe the manager and staff gave this team a goal but the talent level is still pretty bad. Scoring 2 runs in the 9th I guess is a sign the team did not quit. You also have the possiblity that the team gave up on Robin so his goals don't mean much
Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Quote:

I agree. I thought it was pretty telling what Alex Rios tweeted yesterday. Of course, if you're in first place, there's going to be a lot more energy:

Alex Rios ‏@arios51

The energy this team has is off the charts. Wow! #Rangers
Old 08-12-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI Prelate

I'll take the better draft pick. God knows we need to have a better farm system anyway.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
I agree. I thought it was pretty telling what Alex Rios tweeted yesterday. Of course, if you're in first place, there's going to be a lot more energy:

Alex Rios ‏@arios51

The energy this team has is off the charts. Wow! #Rangers
Alex did spend about 100 days in 1st place with the White Sox last year. I wonder if he thinks the energy of the Rangers is off the charts compared to anything he's seen during his time with the Sox. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is yes.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Who knows what happens behind closed doors. Maybe the manager and staff gave this team a goal but the talent level is still pretty bad. Scoring 2 runs in the 9th I guess is a sign the team did not quit. You also have the possiblity that the team gave up on Robin so his goals don't mean much
I doubt it.

And I didn't really see the two solo home runs in the ninth as a sign that the team did not quit. I saw a bunch of guys swinging for the fences to pad their own stats. Two happened to connect. Three others struck out. Whoop-dee-doo. I thought the team had a lot of embarrassing at-bats yesterday, especially against Correia. Sure, the talent level on this team isn't that high. Correia's talent level isn't that high either. He shouldn't be missing that many bats.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I doubt it.

And I didn't really see the two solo home runs in the ninth as a sign that the team did not quit. I saw a bunch of guys for the fences to pad their own stats. Two happened to connect. Three others struck out. Whoop-dee-doo. I thought the team had a lot of embarrassing at-bats yesterday, especially against Correia. Sure, the talent level on this team isn't that high. Correia's talent level isn't that high either. He shouldn't be missing that many bats.
That's basically the sense I got, too. The Sox probably hit 4-5 extra balls to the warning track, but not a lot of quality at bats against a **** pitcher.