White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...waivers-080813
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If you're trying to win a WS, you need somebody such as Rios if you are the Rangers. If you're trying to be the best team, having one decent OFer isn't going to stack up. They're middle of the pack offensively, even an average producer if you want to call Rios that will improve their offense considerably vs. sending out some who will bat .220/.290/.350 who in addition has lesser defensive and baserunning ability.
They fully believe they can win this year based on strong starting pitching and an outstanding bullpen. As JD said just the other day, there are no "game changers" on the market, including Rios. He's not going to give up anything decent.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM
WSI Regular

Dan Hayes@DanHayesCSN2m
Don't see #WhiteSox dumping Alex Rios to give away salary. No pressure to move him immediately. Who's the No. 3 hitter if they do?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
I'd rather spend his 14M for next season elsewhere.

I hope we can trade Dunn, Konerko, DeAza, Alexei, and Danks as well
1. Giving him up for nothing is a dumb baseball move. If Texas has claimed him and isn't willing to part with any prospects then pull him back and trade him this off-season.

2. Trading Danks would be dumb as they'd be selling low at this point. Guy is coming off major shoulder surgery and won't be back to full strength until ST next year. No point in moving him now or in the off season.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Indeed. The Sox don't have to trade him, but they should if offered fair value.

I'd like to see Rios moved to make room for Garcia, but only an idiot would give Rios away for nothing. He has value. For a player that has no value, see Wells, Casper.
He has value to the Rangers in the sense that he is marginally better than Craig Gentry. He DOES NOT have value to the White Sox that is even close to $17.5M.

The White Sox win this trade by literally giving him away for nothing and freeing themselves of his contract. If they can get rid of him, their financial obligation for next season will be under $50M, and under $30M for 2015. It will give them the opportunity to have the financial flexibility to rebuild in the next 2 years that they have sorely lacked recently because they have had so many bad contracts.

It will be the best day of the year for the Sox if this happens- regardless if they get a filler prospect from the Rangers or not.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
Dan Hayes@DanHayesCSN2m
Don't see #WhiteSox dumping Alex Rios to give away salary. No pressure to move him immediately. Who's the No. 3 hitter if they do?
I am not too concerned with who bats third this year. And he bats third next year, we are trouble anyway.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Muppet of a Man

I have a question: with waiver deals, can another team claim whatever the Rangers trade to the White Sox?
No one's ever gonna take my life from me
I lay it down
A ghost is born

WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
2012 WSI Tourney Pick'em Champion

https://www.facebook.com/ModernHistoryMusic
(my band)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
They fully believe they can win this year based on strong starting pitching and an outstanding bullpen. As JD said just the other day, there are no "game changers" on the market, including Rios. He's not going to give up anything decent.
If that were the case they wouldn't have claimed Rios. I don't think teams just take on 17 million for the hell of it. Look at their lineup, it really isn't that good without Cruz. It's Beltre and a massive fall off. Usually if you want to win with pitching you need the best defense and Rios will help them there as well.

I don't know, I guess it depends how you define "decent prospect". Sickels had the Rangers with 27 prospects rated C or better so I don't think they have completely shot their wad.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Agreed that he's a good player even if he has lost the ability to hit for power. Is he $14M good? Hell no. Does losing him open a needed spot in the lineup? Hell yes. Can the $14M be spent better elsewhere? Hell yes.

Call it a dump, call it nickel squeezing, call it treason if it makes you happy. It. Is. Still. A. Good. Baseball. Move.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
WSI Regular

Rangers top 20 loaded with good infield prospects:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/mlb/pro...2013/#list=tex

Not saying we'll get a top 20, but I can dream, right?
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxjtrain View Post
I have a question: with waiver deals, can another team claim whatever the Rangers trade to the White Sox?
Minor Leaguers do not have to go through waivers to be traded, so probably not. Of course, if the Rangers wanted to deal someone who isn't in the minors, then there are a few options for those guys...
1. The player already could have been put on waivers, and cleared them.
2. I believe the claiming team could declare a PTBNL as part of the deal and then 'award' that player the other team in the off season.

WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck View Post
He has value to the Rangers in the sense that he is marginally better than Craig Gentry.
Marginally?!? He has considerably better value than every OFer currently on the Rangers roster. Rios is a clearly better offensive player than 5 or 6 guys minimum in the TX lineup, arguably better than all but Beltre, maaaayybe Kinsler.

Last edited by TheVulture; 08-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Agreed that he's a good player even if he has lost the ability to hit for power. Is he $14M good? Hell no. Does losing him open a needed spot in the lineup? Hell yes. Can the $14M be spent better elsewhere? Hell yes.

Call it a dump, call it nickel squeezing, call it treason if it makes you happy. It. Is. Still. A. Good. Baseball. Move.
If I'm not mistaken, payroll drops somewhere in the 60-70 million dollar range in 2014 even WITHOUT trading Rios. So we are under no pressure to dump salary just for the sake of dumping it.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Gotta look big picture here.

Either we deal him now or November, he's not going to be here next spring.

We have to get something for him, how does a dump with nothing in return help the rebuild?

Plus it would make Hahn look foolish. Taking offers before the deadline, saying they're not good enough, and he won't give a player away, then dump him for nothing? No way.
Freeing up that salary is hugely important to a rebuild. Salary flexibility helps with so many facets of building, from signing FA to signing latin american prospects, etc. If you can't trade him. Let him go and feel the sweet gains of salary dump!
Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI Regular

Danny KnoblerVerified account
‏@DannyKnoblerCBS
Rios went on waivers on Monday. Means White Sox have until tomorrow to trade him or pull back off waivers and keep for rest of season.

Interesting, looks like we have till tomorrow to do a deal.