White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Banned

Default Tony LaRussa Flunks Kirk Gibson

Gibson Out as D-Backs Manager; Trammel to Manage Final Three Games

The thread title seemed appropriate given Gibson's comments a few years ago when his son graduated from high school. As for Trammel, my favorite memory of him as a D-Backs coach involved his getting the **** beaten out of him by Don Mattingly last year during that infamous D-Backs/Dodgers scrum.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Someone posted LaRussa and Stewart finally are getting their revenge for '88. Lol. But why not wait a few days until the end of the season?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Someone posted LaRussa and Stewart finally are getting their revenge for '88. Lol. But why not wait a few days until the end of the season?
My only guess is that the MLB probably wouldn't want them to announce this during the playoffs, that or no one gives a **** what the Dbacks do in the offseason so this was the only way to get some publicity.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

With Stewart coming on as the GM, it looks LaRussa wants to surround himself with people he's worked with before. Of the guys who played for him in Oakland and St. Louis (and the White Sox, of course), who's the most deserving a managerial gig?

Hey! Didn't Ozzie play for LaRussa at the start of his career? Maybe we'll see him out West next season.

LaRussa cited Carney Lansford and Dave Henderson as leaders on his Oakland clubs. Maybe we'll see one of them brought in for an interview.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
My only guess is that the MLB probably wouldn't want them to announce this during the playoffs.
Yeah, that's probably it.

So what about the fact Stewart represents numerous players in MLB? Seems like a bit of a problem.

edit: google's my friend, apparently he's transferring his agency to Dave Henderson. Guess they're keeping it in the family over there. Seems questionable to me, but probably not against the rules?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenhe...ndbacks-as-gm/

Kind of harsh they refer to Dave Henderson as a journeyman. He played six years with two teams in a fourteen year career, a key member of those excellent A's teams...anyway.

Last edited by TheVulture; 09-27-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
LaRussa cited Carney Lansford and Dave Henderson as leaders on his Oakland clubs. Maybe we'll see one of them brought in for an interview.
Strange you should mention that...the agency transfer to Henderson really seems shady in this context.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqhead View Post
My only guess is that the MLB probably wouldn't want them to announce this during the playoffs, that or no one gives a **** what the Dbacks do in the offseason so this was the only way to get some publicity.
A lot of managerial dismissals are announced the day after the season ends. Jerry Manuel's White Sox firing was announced the day after the 2003 regular season ended as the Cubs were beginning their soon-to-be aborted World Series run. I'm sure there were unwanted contrasts drawn in the news conference. Managerial firings generally don't produce the sort of publicity teams want to deal with. If the White Sox had known what would happen to the Cubs in October 2003, they would have waited to announce Manuel's firing until the eve of the suddenly Cubs-less World Series.

If you want to bury a news story to get as little attention as you can, announcing it on a Friday is not a bad idea. It's still out there, but there are generally fewer asking questions teams would rather not be asked. Announcing a manager is being fired on the last Friday of a dismal regular season in a city with an in-season NFL team might be an effort by the Diamondbacks to bury the story as best they can.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Strange you should mention that...the agency transfer to Henderson really seems shady in this context.
Well, it certainly wouldn't be the first time something shady happened on LaRussa's watch.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Gibson was horrible, spent most of his time there having pitchers plunk hitters for hitting home runs.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

So between LaRussa and Stewart who has the most embarassing arrest?

I read that the reason they did it now with Gibson, with Tram taking over as interim manager even though he was let go too, was he had a contractual deadline for renewal for 2015 so it had to be done quickly.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:05 PM
WSI Regular

I'm always amazed whenever I hear Dave Stewart's voice. Never would guess he sounds like he does.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HktV2yGtLv8
Old 09-29-2014, 08:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac38 View Post
I'm always amazed whenever I hear Dave Stewart's voice. Never would guess he sounds like he does.
I'd like to hear him say no one on that team could even carry my jock with that voice.

Anyone else remember the giant jock strap that began to appear in the left field stands back in 1990?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
So between LaRussa and Stewart who has the most embarassing arrest? ...
As someone who used to be a cop reporter who looked for embarrassing arrests because they were so much fun to write about, I have long believed that few arrests anywhere could be more embarrassing than Dave Stewart's.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I'd like to hear him say no one on that team could even carry my jock with that voice.
Kittle, Fisk....Calderon, maybe.