White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Default San Diego's Petco Park to Host 2016 All-Star Game

This will be the first ASG at Petco Park. The Padres last hosted in 1992.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/106508...summer-classic

This also means it'll be 2 years in a row of the NL hosting a game (Cincinnati hosts this year's game). MLB almost always alternates between an NL and AL host. MLB also had the game at NL parks in 2006 and 2007.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Either give up on the ASG winner determining WS home-field advantage or make it truly fair and alternate AL-NL for All-Star Game sites. All-Star Game Home teams are 43-36-2. MLB wants it both ways, picking the optimal site every year AND having it count for Home-Field advantage. With it going CIN in 2015 and SD in 2016, they should at least select two AL teams in a row in '17 and '18.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great ballpark. Great for San Diego!
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 01-16-2015, 05:27 AM
WSI Prelate

Apparently, the leading AL candidate was Baltimore. There really is no contest between San Diego and Baltimore.

The home field advantage isn't a huge deal in the All-Star Game because most players are visitors. It isn't a big deal in the World Series because there are so few Game 7s. Even when the AL won the All-Star Game and the home field advantage in 2014, the Royals lost Game 7 at home.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102605 View Post
Great ballpark. Great for San Diego!
Visually, as seen on TV, I rank Petco as the second best park I haven't been to after AT&T in SF,

Also, if I ever win powerball [ the Big One ] me and Downtown San Diego/Petco Park will become acquainted REAL fast.

I feel like J. Robert Oppenheimer having invented the atomic bomb. I mean, look what Ive unleashed on the world.

-- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball
Old 01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Man, aren't the White Sox due to host an All Star game soon? I mean, IIRC, the last time it was held in Chicago was in the 90s, but still.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 01-16-2015, 03:30 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Man, aren't the White Sox due to host an All Star game soon? I mean, IIRC, the last time it was held in Chicago was in the 90s, but still.
You remember the Sox hosted the All Star Game in 2003, right?

I mean, ****, that is over 10 years ago now. I'm hoping the Sox will get the game again in 2033 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the game.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Apparently, the leading AL candidate was Baltimore. There really is no contest between San Diego and Baltimore.
Why? The game is in July, not January.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
Either give up on the ASG winner determining WS home-field advantage or make it truly fair and alternate AL-NL for All-Star Game sites. All-Star Game Home teams are 43-36-2. MLB wants it both ways, picking the optimal site every year AND having it count for Home-Field advantage. With it going CIN in 2015 and SD in 2016, they should at least select two AL teams in a row in '17 and '18.
Doesn't matter. The White Sox will sweep anyone, anywhere in the World Series.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Why? The game is in July, not January.
I've never been to San Diego... But Baltimore is pretty crappy
Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Been to both. The area around Camden is pretty nice.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Camden Yards is one of my favorite ballparks that I've been to. Always liked a trip up there when I lived in DC. Some of the nicest fans of any park I've been to, as well.

Have yet to get to Petco. I was in the neighborhood one christmastime when the park was being built. Looks nice in pictures and on TV.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
Agreed. MLB wants to have it both ways. First they keep pushing the "this game counts" idea and then they disregard the idea of alternating home field advantage. This will be 7 times the NL hosts in 11 seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

The home field advantage isn't a huge deal in the All-Star Game because most players are visitors. It isn't a big deal in the World Series because there are so few Game 7s. Even when the AL won the All-Star Game and the home field advantage in 2014, the Royals lost Game 7 at home.
What's wrong with Baltimore? Camden Yards is regarded as one of the premier parks in MLB.

Apparently home field advantage does matter if the "home" league is 43-36 all time in the ASG.

Quote:
If Baltimore is too "crappy" to host an ASG, then there are a lot of teams that should never host a game by that standard. Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta...the list could go on and on.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 PM
WSI Personality

Eh, I agree that they really *should* make sure that it alternates if home field advantage is at stake, or at least make it up with two AL teams...but as long as the DH is in effect every year, I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes. Like it was said above, the vast majority of players on both sides are visitors.

Really, they should just get rid of the home field advantage rule.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Agreed. MLB wants to have it both ways. First they keep pushing the "this game counts" idea and then they disregard the idea of alternating home field advantage. This will be 7 times the NL hosts in 11 seasons.

What's wrong with Baltimore? Camden Yards is regarded as one of the premier parks in MLB.

Apparently home field advantage does matter if the "home" league is 43-36 all time in the ASG.

If Baltimore is too "crappy" to host an ASG, then there are a lot of teams that should never host a game by that standard. Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta...the list could go on and on.
I didn't use the word "crappy," but Oriole Park at Camden Yards is overrated. It looks good on television and it has a warehouse beyond the right field wall. San Diego looks better in person and on television, even if it doesn't have the warehouse. But that really isn't the point. The two leading contenders to hold the event were the cities of Baltimore and San Diego. San Diego is better suited to host the event, and it's one of the best cities in the U.S. to visit in the summer, as well as the spring, winter and fall.

At one time there was a rotation for the event, but Chicago was left pretty much left out because Wrigley Field lacked the desired capacity at the time and then it didn't have lights. Old Comiskey was left out after 1950 because it was considered inferior except for the special occasion of the 50th anniversary of the game first played there. Now it's more than a game, of course. It's several days of events.

A .544 winning percentage over 79 games isn't particularly dominant, especially considering that leagues have taken turns running off dominant streaks.

It isn't such a bad thing that the game decides home-field advantage for the World Series because the advantage feels in July like it means a lot more than it actually does. The Giants have won the World Series three times in the last three years and every time they have clinched on the road. This year they won a Game 7 on the road, although they might have been the last franchise to lose a Game 7 at home (1962). There really aren't many Game 7s, so it isn't that important.

I am guessing that if you polled MLB players, AL and NL alike, and asked them if they would prefer to hold the All-Star Game in Baltimore or San Diego, San Diego would win by a landslide.