White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 PM
WSI Guru

Default Sox Writing News / Thanks WSI...

Folks:

For the past 11 years I’ve been an active part of the White Sox Interactive community. The overwhelming majority of the time I have enjoyed it a lot. I’ve gotten to know some good Sox fans and better people…Brian 26, Torn Labrum, Daver, JB, Foulke You and Tragg immediately come to mind. (If I’ve forgotten anyone I apologize!)

But things change and effective today I have begun writing for the Chicago Baseball Museum, these are the same people who brought me to Chicago last year to co-host the 40th anniversary celebration for the 1972 White Sox. Doctor David Fletcher is the man in charge. Among the other writers whom I’ll be working with are George Castle, who wrote for many years for the mainstream Chicago media and now covers sports for a paper in N.W. Indiana and Paul Ladewski who wrote for a long time at the Daily Southtown. (Just in case anybody is wondering, no I’m not getting paid. I write because the Sox have been one of my passions since I was five years old in 1960. What can I say...I love the White Sox.)

But what about the Sox fans here at WSI?

Thankfully, the mods are going to allow me to post the links to the stories as they appear at the Chicago Baseball Museum website. That way fans can read them (or not…) at their choosing. I appreciate the mods doing me this courtesy. There should be a new story every one to two weeks.

The link included in this note of explanation is from part #1 of my four part series taking a closer look at the White Sox of the 1980’s. This part gives an overview of the franchise and takes a look at the 1981 and 1982 seasons. Part 2, looks at the Western Division championship year of 1983 and 1985. Part 3 examines the Sox G.M.’s in that period…Roland Hemond, Hawk Harrelson and Larry Himes and the final part examines the single biggest issue of the decade…would the Sox move?

At this point we don’t have the capability of including audio links from my library as we were able to do here at WSI but I’m told that is coming.

If at any time, readers have comments, questions, story ideas or just want to talk, they can reach me at mliptak1@msn.com I’ll absolutely respond. Might even give you a call!

I’ll still look over WSI and the message boards from time to time to see what’s going on…might even get a good story idea or two… and who knows it’s possible things change again and I can write again for the site in the future. We’ll just have to wait and see.

But for now, thanks so much gang for everything. It’s been a hell of a ride.

Here is the link to the first part of the Sox 1980’s series:

http://www.chicagobaseballmuseum.org...s-20130924.pdf

Lip
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Congrats Lip! Always enjoy your Sox history stories so I will definitely check out your new home. Just curious, does the new gig not allow you to post here anymore as a fan?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Lip,

Is there a reason why you cant or dont want to post here? I am confused as to why you are basically saying goodbye.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

You write a story about how the Sox went from worse to first without using the word "again."

The backstory to this is a ski trip I took to Alta, Utah in February, 2005. The day after the Super Bowl, I was in line to get lunch on the mountain when I saw a guy wearing a Red Sox hat near me. I congratulated him on the Patriots' victory the night before and commented that they had some good sports mojo in Boston. He agreed. I then told him that the headlines that coming Octobe will say "Sox win the World Series, but won't say 'again'." He looked at me confused (I was wearing a White Sox hat, by the way) and then smiled.

Wish I could have seen his face on October 26th that year.....

All hail The Rick
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Best of luck to you Lip. Really enjoyed your interviews with Sox players from my youth, the 50s and 60s.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Always enjoyed your pieces on White Sox history, thanks for posting and the best of luck!

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good luck in the new gig, Lip! And thanks from me for the history and insights you've brought to the board. Your history with the White Sox parallels mine, and I'm grateful for the interviews and stories about the teams we grew up with.

Don't be a stranger. It's good for us to feel like we know a guy on the inside!

Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Always enjoyed your pieces on White Sox history, thanks for posting and the best of luck!

Ditto.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good luck, Lip. I hope the Chicago Baseball Museum becomes a reality, in Chicago.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Sounds like a good fit for you, Lip. You know you are always welcome here as a poster or writer and hopefully you'll get published on WSI someday again.

Your pieces are one of the reasons this place became as cool and well known as it is.

Thanks.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

Thank You.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Congratulations, Lip. Sounds like this will be a lot of fun for you.

I hope that you'll continue to be able to post here.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

The articles, interviews, audio files and inside info is what made this site special. Message boards are nice but the above made this site as popular as it was. I really hope something can be done so this site can be as it once was. Losing Lip is a huge loss.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Awesome, Lip. I've missed your writing. Glad to have you back.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks Lip - I sent you an e-mail.