White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Managing in September is a particular strength of Ventura.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM
WSI Prelate

I think maybe he should be taken to a doctor.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

They should fire him and hire Carlton Fisk.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Neither Robin nor Manto walked a single batter. Could sports media in Boston be any dumber than in Chicago? Stay tuned.
I agree but the 19 walks was only part of the problem. Did you see???

Beckham muff 2 tags at second base??

How about Rienzo throwing twice to 1st to hold the runner. It was the catcher and he tried to keep the double play as an option. Well he stole 2nd ( first steal in 2 years) and no one covered the base. Then scored on a single.

The fly ball that fell between 2nd-CF-RF.

Konerko going home on a ground ball to 3rd and not even getting halway down the line.

Then to top it off, they had 2 fans make great catches of foul balls in the upper decks--one barehanded and one with his cap. Then they showed another one, a White Sox fan holding a hot dog in his hand and went for a foul ball. Dropped the dog and the ball. It was that kind of weekend.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I don't understand how you think he came into this season without experience.
I don't think that. Of course he *now* has experience, but that was not the assertion.

Here was the statement to which I responded and with which I agreed:

"I always thought Robin should have got some experience as a bench coach or minor league manager before becoming the Sox manager."

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default What Should Be Done With Ventura?

"I think we should shoot him."
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

Gogol Bordello - "Ultimate"
Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
Ventura's contract is up this season and the Sox aren't discussing a deal with him until the offseason. What would you guys do with him?

Some reports say that the Angels may part ways with Mike Scioscia. Dave Martinez and Sandy Alomar Jr. are both still available. Ryne Sandberg will probably stay with the Phillies now that he has taken over. Also word is that Cal Ripken Jr. is interested in managing. What would be your preference?
I think they'd have to eat $25 million or more on his deal. Their GM's deal is done after 2014. I am guessing money says Scioscia stays.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
Robin may have great baseball smarts, but that doesn't mean he is cut out to be a MLB manager.

I always thought Robin should have got some experience as a bench coach or minor league manager before becoming the Sox manager.

No, no, no! He was the best man for the job despite no experience and track record. Just ask KW and JR!

When the Sox hired Robin before last season, it was a huge signal to me that White Sox management was not serious about fielding a playoff-contending team. Good for them for surprising everyone for 3 months last year, but they folded in the end when it mattered.

Even if Ventura isn't brought back next year, the Sox will probably just replace him with some other unqualified ex-Sox player. Is Ron Karkovice doing anything? I heard he was well liked and a great guy - sounds like a top candidate for the job!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:26 PM
WSI Personality

Default Bunting

Ventura has to be held accountable for some of this bad season. Tonight the Tigers beat the White Sox rather easily. The lack of hitting tonight was typical of whats gone on this 2013 season. The Tigers have one of the great hitters who happens to play third base. As great as he is as a hitter, he has to be one of the worse defensive third baseman in MLB. He has absolutely no mobility defensively. He couldn't come in for a bunt to save his life and I don't think I'm wrong . That being the case, why don't the White Sox try to get on base by bunting down the third base line? Wouldn't a good manager try to exploit Cabreras weakness at third base? Any type of decent bunt isn't going to be fielded by him. Why not bunt a few times every time we play the Tigers?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Ventura has to be held accountable for some of this bad season. Tonight the Tigers beat the White Sox rather easily. The lack of hitting tonight was typical of whats gone on this 2013 season. The Tigers have one of the great hitters who happens to play third base. As great as he is as a hitter, he has to be one of the worse defensive third baseman in MLB. He has absolutely no mobility defensively. He couldn't come in for a bunt to save his life and I don't think I'm wrong . That being the case, why don't the White Sox try to get on base by bunting down the third base line? Wouldn't a good manager try to exploit Cabreras weakness at third base? Any type of decent bunt isn't going to be fielded by him. Why not bunt a few times every time we play the Tigers?
Probably because we have bad players who don't know how to bunt.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
They should fire him and hire Carlton Fisk.
Fisk doesn't want the job, and I'm not sure he would be an improvement.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Perhaps for 2014 home games they could replace the Sox history pre-game video with a series of Ventura press conference snippets, thereby spreading boredom to the visitors' dugout as well as our own, and thus evening things out a bit.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

I love Robin- but there is no evidence from his 2 first seasons that he's a competent major league manager.

He should be fired after the season- from last September to now- the Sox are 71-104, .405 winning percentage- with some of the worst stretches/losing streaks in the history of the club.

It's not all his fault- but there's no evidence that he make the club better in ANY area (defense, overall fundamentals, base running especially).

Time for a change-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Fisk doesn't want the job, and I'm not sure he would be an improvement.
I forgot the teal. I wasn't serious.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
Perhaps for 2014 home games they could replace the Sox history pre-game video with a series of Ventura press conference snippets, thereby spreading boredom to the visitors' dugout as well as our own, and thus evening things out a bit.
No wonder the whole damn team has been sleepwalking through this season---they're bored!

But seriously, I do not believe Ventura is a good leader and we have no players who fill that role either. I wonder what the "chemistry" is like in the Sox clubhouse? It must be excruciating to come to work everyday. That needs to change, whether that means firing Robin or picking up some vocal leaders through free agency, but something drastic needs to happen.