Get well soon, Chris...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't know enough about other teams to really make plausible trades for them, but I would say guys under control for next year I think the Sox might move this off-season, in order or likelihood are:
  1. Alexei
  2. De Aza
  3. Reed
  4. Santiago/Reinzo
  5. Quintana
Agree with this. Although the thought of Reed being dealt doesn't seem that realistic to me mostly because I've no idea who they'd replace him with. He isn't lights out like Kimbrel but he's young and good when he's on. Depends on if they're rebuilding/retooling or whatever, or if they're gonna 'go for it' next year again and think they can make the playoffs, I think.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Agree with this. Although the thought of Reed being dealt doesn't seem that realistic to me mostly because I've no idea who they'd replace him with. He isn't lights out like Kimbrel but he's young and good when he's on. Depends on if they're rebuilding/retooling or whatever, or if they're gonna 'go for it' next year again and think they can make the playoffs, I think.

Agree with you about Reed. Same thing applies to Alexei in my opinion. Who is going to replace him and give you better production?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM
WSI High Priest

I read Markakis for Dunn stuff here and I cant believe anyone can be serious about this. Does anyone truly believe that if Markakis cleared waivers this year he wouldnt be snatched? Well dunn did clear and not a sniff.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I read Markakis for Dunn stuff here and I cant believe anyone can be serious about this. Does anyone truly believe that if Markakis cleared waivers this year he wouldnt be snatched? Well dunn did clear and not a sniff.
No, other than the OP nobody believes that.

Correction: Nobody but the OP and 1 other person believes that.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
No, other than the OP nobody believes that.

Correction: Nobody but the OP and 1 other person believes that.
The OP is trying to figure out exactly when Markakis turned into Al Kaline or maybe Roger Maris circa 1960.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
The OP is trying to figure out exactly when Markakis turned into Al Kaline or maybe Roger Maris circa 1960.
I don't think anyone believes he has. But he is clearly better than Adam Dunn both offensively and defensively, even while experiencing a down year. Markakis doesn't have to be the second coming of Kaline or Maris for it not to be even close.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

OK, with the off season actually here, let me throw out another possible deal that makes sense to me: Alexei Ramirez to St. Louis for Matt Adams.

I suspect that Allen Craig will be the Cards' first baseman going forward. And even if St. Louis does not keep Carlos Beltran, they might try to add Oscar Taveras (22 years old, career .320 hitter in the minors) to the outfield. I don't think that St. Louis has a spot for Adams (in 351 AB's, 17 HR 51 RBI and .284 average in 2013) in the long run. Adams is 25, hits left, throws right and would be a nice compliment to right handed hitters Avisail Garcia and Dayan Viciedo in the middle of the order. And, boy, does St. Louis ever need a SS.

Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
OK, with the off season actually here, let me throw out another possible deal that makes sense to me: Alexei Ramirez to St. Louis for Matt Adams.
Matt Adams is a potential breakout guy who could net the Cards more than a declining Ramirez.

Plus, arguably, while SS was a mess for them this season, they could do just fine continuing with a No. 8 hitting SS as the rest of the lineup is pretty damn good.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Prelate

the best return for Alexei and De Aza is at midyear if they're hitting well. I think the best thing they get us this offseason is their absence.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Dayan Viciedo, Chris Beck, Trayce Thompson and our #3 international FA slot to the Yankees for Gary Sanchez and Mason Williams.

Both prospects are at least partially blocked in New York and the Yankees love to trade their best prospects for immediate help.

The Yankees would get a LF power bat with Gardiner moving to CF and Granderson leaving as an FA, decent mid level pieces and more international FA cap room. The Sox would get two top 50 prospects in our catcher of the future and a toolsy outfielder with better hitting acumen that any of our current OF prospects.

My only misgiving is that the Yankees would likely ask for one of Hawkins or Johnson instead of Beck and Thompson.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Dayan Viciedo, Chris Beck, Trayce Thompson and our #3 international FA slot to the Yankees for Gary Sanchez and Mason Williams.

Both prospects are at least partially blocked in New York and the Yankees love to trade their best prospects for immediate help.

The Yankees would get a LF power bat with Gardiner moving to CF and Granderson leaving as an FA, decent mid level pieces and more international FA cap room. The Sox would get two top 50 prospects in our catcher of the future and a toolsy outfielder with better hitting acumen that any of our current OF prospects.

My only misgiving is that the Yankees would likely ask for one of Hawkins or Johnson instead of Beck and Thompson.
Beck has the most value of those 4. Hawkins has a lot of work to do get his prospect status back. Thompson still has big time talent, but really had a tough year and Johnson is a middle infielder that can't field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley
If somebody wants to overpay for Reed's 39 saves and give up somebody who has a ceiling as an everyday player, I move him without hesitation. In fact, now that it's been brought up, I'm really hoping for a Reed trade to go with an Alexei trade.

Is there anybody who needs a SS and would upgrade at closer if they acquired Reed? Packaging both in the same deal might bring back something really good.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Matt Adams is a potential breakout guy who could net the Cards more than a declining Ramirez.

Plus, arguably, while SS was a mess for them this season, they could do just fine continuing with a No. 8 hitting SS as the rest of the lineup is pretty damn good.
I would think Cards will make a run at FA Stephen Drew. Boston will not re-sign him.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
If somebody wants to overpay for Reed's 39 saves and give up somebody who has a ceiling as an everyday player, I move him without hesitation. In fact, now that it's been brought up, I'm really hoping for a Reed trade to go with an Alexei trade.
Amen. If Reed is netting you a solid return, you take it. He's nothing special, and aside from guys like Chapman and Kimbrel, closers are kind of a dime a dozen. See, e.g., Rodeny, Fernando; Henderson, Jim; Grilli, Jason.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM
WSI High Priest

I could see Mark Trumbo being a realistic trade target for the Sox. The Angels have made it known that they desperately need young pitching and the Sox have a lot of that. It's also no secret that the Sox need a big bat (or four) to insert into their anemic lineup. It would seem like a fit. The question would be just how much of our young pitching would LAA require? Would the Sox consider trading Quintana now that his value has never been higher? Would that be enough by itself to pry loose a hitter of Trumbo's caliber?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin