White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,930
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Trumbo has a career OBP of .299. I would think that the Sox would see him as a special target, given the way they've operated since 2005.

What we need is guys who can get on base. Not high K guys who hit 30 homers and don't get on base. We're stuck with Dunn - he can do that job.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Amen. If Reed is netting you a solid return, you take it. He's nothing special, and aside from guys like Chapman and Kimbrel, closers are kind of a dime a dozen. See, e.g., Rodeny, Fernando; Henderson, Jim; Grilli, Jason.
Could you see Alexei and Reed for Adams and a minor league pitching prospect?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Could you see Alexei and Reed for Adams and a minor league pitching prospect?
Cards bullpen is solid enough, especially considering they have too much SP and, without a trade, one of them (like Wacha or Kelly) will have to be in the pen. Rosenthal is closer of the future. Reed not really needed.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 PM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Cards bullpen is solid enough, especially considering they have too much SP and, without a trade, one of them (like Wacha or Kelly) will have to be in the pen. Rosenthal is closer of the future. Reed not really needed.
Let's see, the Cardinals' rotation next year should be: Wainwright, Miller, Wacha, Kelly and Lynn. That is pretty strong and if Jaime Garcia comes back, they'll have six starters.

As for the bullpen, I am not sold on Rosenthal. They could have made him the closer this year but didn't. Mujica is probably gone but Jason Motte may be back next year. And the Cards also have Carlos Martinez. You are probably right -- Reed does not help them unless they Motte isn't ready and the Cards don't like their in-house options.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Let's see, the Cardinals' rotation next year should be: Wainwright, Miller, Wacha, Kelly and Lynn. That is pretty strong and if Jaime Garcia comes back, they'll have six starters.

As for the bullpen, I am not sold on Rosenthal. They could have made him the closer this year but didn't. Mujica is probably gone but Jason Motte may be back next year. And the Cards also have Carlos Martinez. You are probably right -- Reed does not help them unless they Motte isn't ready and the Cards don't like their in-house options.
I think Hahn has to explore the FA market before making any trade. We know the biggest holes are C and 3B as well as set-up lefthander and some depth in bullpen. 1B may also be a hole if Paulie is gone. As fans, many think we need to upgrade SS, CF and to a lesser extent 2B. Of the biggest needs, maybe Semien plays 3B. So C is the biggest need at this point. If there is not a FA, then they need to trade for one.
But trading Alexei w/o an in-house replacement only opens another hole. Since the White Sox are pretty much a lousy team, trading may open up more holes than we have now unless Hahn can fleece someone. So free agency is the best method to fill holes or allow us to trade someone if we end up with a better option than we have. For example if you trade Reed and get a 2B, you can then trade Beckham. But now you have a closer opening.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:25 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 2,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
For example if you trade Reed and get a 2B, you can then trade Beckham. But now you have a closer opening.
Honestly, though, the closer spot is probably one of the easier spots to fill from within.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-03-2013, 02:36 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
As for the bullpen, I am not sold on Rosenthal. They could have made him the closer this year but didn't. Mujica is probably gone but Jason Motte may be back next year. And the Cards also have Carlos Martinez. You are probably right -- Reed does not help them unless they Motte isn't ready and the Cards don't like their in-house options.
Rosenthal is the closer right now. They almost left Mujica off the playoff roster.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Would the Sox consider trading Quintana now that his value has never been higher? Would that be enough by itself to pry loose a hitter of Trumbo's caliber?
A better question would be is Trumbo enough to merit Quintana. I'd argue no.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-03-2013, 03:28 PM
eriqjaffe eriqjaffe is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 2,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
A better question would be is Trumbo enough to merit Quintana. I'd argue no.
I agree. Trumbo is basically just Adam Dunn without the OBP. The only benefit he has over Dunn is cost.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 782
Default

A. Garcia and Chris Sale to the Angels for Mike Trout.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 AM
SephClone89 SephClone89 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 5,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
A. Garcia and Chris Sale to the Angels for Mike Trout.
Given the poster I'm really not sure if this is implied-teal or not.
__________________
Attendance Records

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Given the poster I'm really not sure if this is implied-teal or not.
You know, I'm not sure it's the worst idea. The Angels would say no, but it's not a horrible offer. Just a little light.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Boondock Saint Boondock Saint is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Joliet
Posts: 19,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
You know, I'm not sure it's the worst idea. The Angels would say no, but it's not a horrible offer. Just a little light.
I love Chris Sale, but if the Angels made that offer to the Sox and I were the GM, I'd probably die of the world's first simultaneous orgasm-stroke-heart attack as I frantically hit every button on my phone in a panic, hoping that one of them was the "YES DO THIS TRADE NOW BEFORE THEY CAN TAKE IT BACK" button.
__________________
Rock over London. Rock on, Chicago.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Dan H Dan H is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Highland
Posts: 1,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think Hahn has to explore the FA market before making any trade. We know the biggest holes are C and 3B as well as set-up lefthander and some depth in bullpen. 1B may also be a hole if Paulie is gone. As fans, many think we need to upgrade SS, CF and to a lesser extent 2B. Of the biggest needs, maybe Semien plays 3B. So C is the biggest need at this point. If there is not a FA, then they need to trade for one.
But trading Alexei w/o an in-house replacement only opens another hole. Since the White Sox are pretty much a lousy team, trading may open up more holes than we have now unless Hahn can fleece someone. So free agency is the best method to fill holes or allow us to trade someone if we end up with a better option than we have. For example if you trade Reed and get a 2B, you can then trade Beckham. But now you have a closer opening.
I agree with you that trades are not a cure-all for a lousy team. But I don't know if any quality free agents will come to a team that lost 99 games. Players are money-driven but winning is still important to them. And I don't see the White Sox getting into a bidding war at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
I think Hahn has to explore the FA market before making any trade. We know the biggest holes are C and 3B as well as set-up lefthander and some depth in bullpen. 1B may also be a hole if Paulie is gone. As fans, many think we need to upgrade SS, CF and to a lesser extent 2B. Of the biggest needs, maybe Semien plays 3B. So C is the biggest need at this point. If there is not a FA, then they need to trade for one.
But trading Alexei w/o an in-house replacement only opens another hole. Since the White Sox are pretty much a lousy team, trading may open up more holes than we have now unless Hahn can fleece someone. So free agency is the best method to fill holes or allow us to trade someone if we end up with a better option than we have. For example if you trade Reed and get a 2B, you can then trade Beckham. But now you have a closer opening.
Biggest hole is a relative term. This is a team with 21 or more holes, depending on how you view things. The free agent market should only be used for core pieces long term.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.