White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
You may be right. They stormed the field after the Mets clinched the NL East against the Cubs. Mets fans ripped up chunks of turf, and several of them threw them at the announcers' booth. I think that little display may have put an end to on-field celebrations once and for all.
I was thinking the World Series win over Boston, but I cannot remember for sure. The next year in the Metrodome, there was definitely no field rushing when the Twins beat the Cardinals, and nothing I can remember after that.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I remember seeing Jackson with a helmet sprinting to the safety of the dugout after the last out of the clinching game. But, that was from the '77 or '78 World Series vs. the Dodgers.

I believe Railsplitter is talking about the Chris Chambliss game ending HR to win the pennant where he couldn't even finish circling the bases because of the fans storming onto the field.

That sort of celebration was history by the 1990s, but you'd certainly never see it today in our post- 9/11, post- Boston Marathon bombing world.
You're right, that was a crazy scene. The story goes than Chambliss went back onto the field after it was cleared and touched the area of home plate.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

I watched the clincher on TV and then went to the game the next day. I think "the Bull" was still drunk!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

The '83 Sox simply stopped hitting shortly after they clinched. They were no-hit by an obscure A's pitcher named Mike Warren, then the Orioles pitching completely shut them down.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

After the Game 4 loss, I was in the clubhouse. LaMarr was outside the press area, sitting in what looked to be a barber chair, glaring straight ahead.

Hoyt gets the ball on Sunday, they win. I believe that to this day.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post

I don't know, it's not like he could have pitched any better than Burns did in Game 4.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I don't know, it's not like he could have pitched any better than Burns did in Game 4.
I agree. I remember seeing a photo of him in the Trib the next day; he looked utterly devastated.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
I was there. I was 10 years old, and it was the second year of what became somewhat of an annual tradition to go to a Sox game for my father's birthday, which is also today. He bought tickets in April to take me to the game long before we had any idea that they would win the division. I remember the fans on the field, but we didn't get to do it as we had upper deck seats. We stayed awhile after the game to watch the celebration and listened to the post-game show on the drive home. We ended up getting home around 1 or 2 in the morning since we lived about a hundred miles west of Chicago. I remember being pretty excited for the fireworks after Harold's HR. In 1982 we went to a night double header against the A's, but there were no HRs, so I really wanted to see the fireworks.

He bought tickets in 1984 hoping to predict what day they would clinch it again. That game wasn't nearly as fun.
I was 12 and we went for my Father's birthday too, but decided to go last minute. He ran over to TicketTron at the Sportsmart that afternoon. We were in the RF UD under the roof so we didn't get drenched by the downpour. My rear end was nice and comfy sitting on a Yago Sangria Sox seat cushion!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
I watched the clincher on TV and then went to the game the next day. I think "the Bull" was still drunk!
My wife and I were at the previous game when the Sox clinched a tie. Clinching the division depended on the Royals losing their game, which was still in progress. We were sitting in the left-center lower deck near the bullpen and watched people storm the field after the last out, and were impressed by the cordon formed by the Frain ushers around the infield before the crowd could get there.

Since the Royals game was still going on, the scoreboard crew put the TV feed on the video screen. Most of the celebrants on the field sat down in the grass to watch the Royals game as if they were sitting in front of the TV in an enormous family room.

The Royals won that night and the clincher had to wait another day. It really was a big deal when it happened. I subscribed to The Sporting News at that time and had saved all the issues relating to the Sox' division race along with Chicago newspaper clippings. Sadly, I lost most of that stuff in a 1996 basement flood.

We were able to go the ALCS Game 4 with standing-room tickets and watched the whole game from the scoreboard ramp. Tito Landrum's homer in the 10th cast a chilly pall over the ballpark. Luzinski's three-pitch strikeout in the bottom of the 10th maddens me to this day.

I think too that with Hoyt pitching the next day the Sox would've done it. It wasn't meant to be, but man, what a great ride that was.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Regular

The 1983 team was a terrific ball club. Yes, a little weak at SS and 3B, but the pitching was excellent, especially the starting rotation. They caught fire in the second half of the season when LaRussa inserted Fisk into the #2 spot in the lineup and ran away with the AL West.

I also still believe that if we had gotten to game #5 playing at home with Hoyt on the mound the Sox would have gone to the Series and won it all. Burns pitched the game of his life in #4, but the Dibber's brain fart on the bases cost the Sox the game.

As for the Chairman's remarks about Harry and Jimmy, it was a cheap shot. Reinsdorf still had a hard on for those two, even though they were no longer a part of the organization. I loved Harry and Jimmy, but I also understand that their cavalier attitude and caustic comments about the players and coaches caused a lot of problems. Their time was up and they had to go if the Sox were going to move forward. But there was no need at that time for Reinsdorf to even bring up their names, let alone rip them.

Great memories. Thanks. It doesn't seem like it was 30 years ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
After the Game 4 loss, I was in the clubhouse. LaMarr was outside the press area, sitting in what looked to be a barber chair, glaring straight ahead.

So do I.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

30 years ago today-- Dybzinski, Tito Landrum. Ugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUQAbDn0ps

Dybzinski play- 1:50:20

Landrum- 2:40:30