White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
We can't even manage to keep a lead against these guys. 2-16 on the season. Disgusting.
That's putting it mildly. It's almost unfathomable that we are so bad as to only win 2 of 18 against a team that's really mediocre.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post

BTW, has anyone noticed that Rongey hasn't taken calls on the postgame show in weeks? Either he's over dealing with the callers or there aren't any to deal with, so he cuts the show short.

I forgot about him totally. I havent even thought about listening to post game all year. Maybe only his mother listens to the show.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I'm talking about next year. Get 'em tomorrow.
All I can hope for is that they keep dragging him out there because really, who gives a damn.. I cannot imagine Reed the closer with anything on the line, it will be interesting to see how the closer position is addressed in the offseason
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

People who need to be gone for 2014: Ventura and his whole coaching staff (Cooper, too), De Aza, Ramirez, Konerko, Dunn, Viciedo, Keppinger, Axelrod, Flowers and Phegley.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
People who need to be gone for 2014: Ventura and his whole coaching staff (Cooper, too), De Aza, Ramirez, Konerko, Dunn, Viciedo, Keppinger, Axelrod, Flowers and Phegley.
Cooper? Really? For one bad year?

Go Sox!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post

There is only one I pray for every night and that isnt going to happen unless he doesnt awake one night and even I cant hope for that.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
he'll get super defensive on behalf of whoever you just mentioned with a smug "you don't know the whole story so you should even be given the time to finish your call" tone. He's right, the caller is wrong, and him being right also means that whatever the player/coach/manager/GM/owner decided was also right, .
the problem with continually defending management and not really taking the callers opinions at all seriously is that, the player/coach/manager/GM/owner has HAD the whole story, and still, they have gotten it incredibly wrong this year.. there's an awful lot of blame to go around at the management level in a historically bad season, and to not address that is ludricrous.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post

Personally I think Coop and Robin should both stay put. But it shouldn't be a surprise that they people wanting Robin out for one bad year would want Coop out as well.

There's no way Robin doesn't learn from this and become a much better manager next season.

Also, assuming Reed can eek out one more save...40 is pretty impressive. At one point he got either a save or win in the majority of our wins. Which means he's been used and overused. So I agree completely with whoever said his conditioning might need to be addressed. Makes sense to me.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
There's no way Robin doesn't learn from this and become a much better manager next season.
But what are the odds of him getting renewed for 2015? Experience in 2014 is pointless if he's not going to extended past then which is something I would think the brass already know they are going to do or not.

If they come out in 2014 they way they came out this year, he won't even finish the season.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Well at least Dunn gave us a strong contribution tonight....oh wait.

Apparently he's intent on starting his offseason about a week early. Talk about mailing it in.
Quote:
He started his off season a month early. He is 12 for his last 104 ABs with 54 strikeouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Yeah. So much for the slim hopes of trying to sucker someone into trading for him. I was hoping he'd continue to hit at a passable level in the 2nd half, but I knew it was probably a foolish thing to hope for, and sadly he has indeed regressed severely.
Quote:
He had a good couple of months there, the problem is he goes missing for months at a time. As Jim Margalus says, Dunn doesn't go into slumps, he goes into death spirals.
Sigh...4 for 4 night...Wait till Next Next Year, $15 million yet to go.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Yes, Cooper. He's been one of the best pitching coaches for years, but Ventura and his coaching staff obviously need to go. The team needs a completely fresh start so Cooper has to go, too.

I don't view this as throwing out the coaching baby with the bath water. The pitchers, especially the bullpen, have seem to hit a wall. More of the team's pitchers have gotten worse this year than better. Ventura's handling of pitchers has been, at best, bad during his tenure, and Cooper is significantly responsible for that. Part of the poor handling has been pitching some pitchers too much. I'm not sure how anyone can defend Reed pitching, what, six games in a row when we're miles out of the race? Either Cooper was on board with that or he didn't do enough to prevent it. Either way, not good. Then you have Cooper's health problems which have caused him to be away from the team for at least a couple times this year. Finally, you have his weird, moody and mouthy radio appearances. Too many times he's been a jackass, on shows on which he's getting paid to appear no less. His criticism of Ramirez was way out of line. What other pitching coach has become a negative in this regard? He's sort of become too big for his britches, which was Ozzie's problem albeit to a greater extent.

Last, but not least, Sox pitchers have done an extremely poor job at holding runners on under Cooper. We've become a Little League team in this regard. It's obviously not been emphasized because the same BS has been going on for years. I guess it goes along with Cooper's tough-guy, arrogant personality that's he's displayed on radio the past couple years.

Last edited by BainesHOF; 09-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
Personally I think Coop and Robin should both stay put. But it shouldn't be a surprise that they people wanting Robin out for one bad year would want Coop out as well.
One bad year? I guess you're not counting one of the biggest collapses in 2012.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Reed threw one bad pitch the entire inning . . . and Giambi hits it out. It's that kind of year. Fortunately, we have our stopper starting tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Reed cannot close out a game without drama. It's exactly like when Jenks stopped overpowering guys, "became a contact pitcher", and people argued that the fact that he was getting a ****-ton of contact didn't matter because he was still getting saves. 1-2-3 innings are just too rare for him to be relied upon to close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
When he finds the release point on his slider again, he'll be the closer. I'm talking about next year. Get 'em tomorrow.
I am weary of hearing Hawk tell us how bad this team would be without Addison Reed. They are plenty bad, historically bad, with him.

I hate using saves as a metric at all, since they bear no indication of effective pitching. Reed is a hazard every time he is out there. It seems like he ALWAYS has to put a runner or two on base, whether he ends up logging a save in the end or not. And I think this is his 2nd walk-off this week, although I am not paying close enough attention to say for sure.

Reed has 8 blown saves and 39 saves, so he has blown more than 20%, which in my mind is NOT the mark of a premier closer.

And I am WAAAY past complaining about Dunn any more. I am like some other poster here said recently, I expect him to strike out and I am pleasantly surprised when he does not. Another day, another golden sombrero. One more ****ing year of this bust.

SMO
Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
You are aware Jose Quintana has a PED suspension under his belt, right?
Please, he claims it was from medicine he was taking at the time, and he was 17-years-old. Has he had any positive tests since then?

Let's not even compare these two.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
As much as some callers are difficult to deal with in a season like this, Rongey acts like an ass to just about everyone who calls in with a comment about anything. If you suggest a possible change, hint that you are worried about someone's struggles, or second guess any move that the manager, GM, coaching staff, or player has made, he will bite your head off and tell you you are dead wrong and had no business even considering what you said, and he'll get super defensive on behalf of whoever you just mentioned with a smug "you don't know the whole story so you should even be given the time to finish your call" tone. He's right, the caller is wrong, and him being right also means that whatever the player/coach/manager/GM/owner decided was also right, and you had no business calling in and trying to discuss it in the first place. It's the worst model you could possibly have for a call-in post game show.
Rongey has been a tool for awhile now.

Hawk Jr when it comes to company man.

Can't stand him.