White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Will Konerko return to the Sox in 2014?

Not should he, will he?

Do you think Konerko will want to return? Do you think the Sox will want him back?

For months I thought this season would be it for Konerko. But then last month when he started to hit decently and at least drive in a few runs I was getting the vibe that he'd want to come back in 2014 and go out in a better way both personally and team-wise. However, he's been really bad, almost embarrassingly so, at the plate this month and he's been painful to watch in the field as well. I can't see him thinking it would be a good idea to play in 2014.

As far as the team, I can't see Hahn thinking Konerko has on-field value anymore. But would Reinsdorf like Konerko to return for P.R. purposes?

Personally, I think Konerko is done playing after this weekend.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's the way I see it. The Sox are committed to a rebuild, so paying Konerko anything close to what he made this year is out of the question. But if he decides that he's not done yet, and he values retiring with the Sox so much that he's willing to play for a non-contender at a drastically reduced salary, I don't see why they couldn't come to an agreement on a short retirement tour type of contract.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Banned

Only if he's replacing Ventura.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
Here's the way I see it. The Sox are committed to a rebuild, so paying Konerko anything close to what he made this year is out of the question. But if he decides that he's not done yet, and he values retiring with the Sox so much that he's willing to play for a non-contender at a drastically reduced salary, I don't see why they couldn't come to an agreement on a short retirement tour type of contract.
This. For a hometown discount, I'd welcome him back for a year.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

What the hay, with the type of team they will have it wont matter if hes on the team or not. Why he would want to go out on the field and embarrass himself for a few extra bucks, I wont understand.

Last edited by Noneck; 09-25-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
What the hay, with the type of team they will have it wont matter if hes on the team or not. Why he would want to go out on the field and embarrass himself for a few extra bucks, I wont understand.
He's embarrassed himself this year. He's been atrocious, worse than Adam Dunn. I understand why he gets a pass but I don't see why the Sox would want him back. He doesn't have much to offer anymore.

Thank him for everything he did for the organization and wish him well. I don't think he is planning on retiring because I would have expected he would have told the Sox and they would have made it public to get some fans in the park and give him a nice send off. I think he will hit the FA market and unfortunately for him, will probably find that there is no interest.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think he'll be back with the Sox for one more year on an incentive-laden contract. I don't think anyone else will offer him a better deal, and the Sox are too loyal to just shoo him away. Not saying this is what should happen, but that's how I expect it will play out.

Now, if we miraculously sign Abreu to play 1B full time there may simply be no room for Paulie on the roster unless Dunn is sent packing.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
MMXXIII

I have no idea why the Sox would want Konerko back. I understand if Paul's not ready to call it a career, but the Sox need to move on.

****, take half of the $13 million he's made this season and offer it to AJ to come back. He at least can still hit.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
He's embarrassed himself this year.
He was fulfilling his contract this year. No one walks away from 13.5M. Next year its for chump change.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
He was fulfilling his contract this year. No one walks away from 13.5M. Next year its for chump change.
Not questioning why he's still cashing the checks, just stating the (obvious) that Konerko has been god awful this season, probably one of the 3-4 worst players in the AL.

I get that the Sox are loyal, sometimes to a fault, but they're not outright deranged. They've let other popular players walk before, usually before they completely bottom out. 0% chance Konerko's White Sox playing career extends past this weekend.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI High Priest

He's as good as gone. I don't even think it's a matter of him thinking about it in the offseason. The Sox shouldn't want to bring him back, and the rest of baseball probably doesn't want him anyway. Great career, but it's over in 4 days.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
****, take half of the $13 million he's made this season and offer it to AJ to come back. He at least can still hit.
Yes!!!

Quote:
Not questioning why he's still cashing the checks, just stating the (obvious) that Konerko has been god awful this season, probably one of the 3-4 worst players in the AL.

I get that the Sox are loyal, sometimes to a fault, but they're not outright deranged. They've let other popular players walk before, usually before they completely bottom out. 0% chance Konerko's White Sox playing career extends past this weekend.
I've said it before, if the Sox let Frank Thomas go then they should be ok with letting ANYONE go.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
0% chance Konerko's White Sox playing career extends past this weekend.
Im not so sure about that. His familiar face may exceed his salary in box office return. Its not like he will hurt the horrible club next year. The only way I would say forsure hes gone if the Sox make a splash for a big time first baseman.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post

I've said it before, if the Sox let Frank Thomas go then they should be ok with letting ANYONE go.

Thomas was going to make nice money and they didnt need him to put fans in the seats in 2006. Plus they got Thome.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Im not so sure about that. His familiar face may exceed his salary in box office return. Its not like he will hurt the horrible club next year. The only way I would say forsure hes gone if the Sox make a splash for a big time first baseman.
You don't actually think anyone is showing up to the park to watch Konerko flirt with the Mendoza Line, do you?