White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
WSI Guru

I don't think anybody hates him. He just didn't live up to his billing on the mound. I like him a lot, but I never felt confident in him going in a big game like, say, Freddy Garcia in 2005 or Bartolo Colon in 2003, two of Kenny's other blockbuster pitching acquisitions.

Jake made a ton of money with the Sox to be a good, but not great, pitcher, which unfortunately completely tied their hands in other areas.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I've never understood the Peavy hate here. He's a good pitcher. He just can't stay healthy.

So many Chicago fans want "fire and passion" from ballplayers, and then when they have player who wears his emotions on his sleeve, they complain that he "talks too much." It's ridiculous. I don't give a **** what a player says in the media one way or the other.

Fire and passion are well and good, but you better be able to back it up, and that's why you see all the Peavy hate here. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if he pitched with his mouth, he'd be Cy Mother****ing Young.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Fire and passion are well and good, but you better be able to back it up, and that's why you see all the Peavy hate here. I've said it before and I'll say it again... if he pitched with his mouth, he'd be Cy Mother****ing Young.
I guess we can go back to the Navarro years and you'll be happy, right?

The guy came here, had an unprecendented injury to recover from, and was decent but not great afterwards.

I call it bad luck. I don't think the guy ever tried to fail or attempted to make someone else the goat for his efforts. For the people who chafed at the so called "Country Boy Jake" personality he exhibited, well that's your problem. I care what happens on the bump.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
I guess we can go back to the Navarro years and you'll be happy, right?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
The reason why I posted it wasn't my hatred of Peavy the person. I didn't hate the guy, I just didn't buy his "tough county boy act".

The Sox traded a lot of players for the guy, signed him to a big contract, he told us that he was tough, talked a lot on the mound bringing attention to himself and then when you need him to pitch like an ace, he can't make it out of the third inning.

The last player the Sox had that reminded me of Peavy was Nick Swisher.
Peavy was 4-1 in August and September for Boston in their pennant drive. That is not terrible for their #4 starter. He obviosuly stunk in game 4 against Detroit but pitched very well in game 4 against Tampa. Obviously here in Chicago he was looked on as our #1 then after Sale emerged #2 starter. At this point in his career he is not that. But Boston having him as a 3 or 4 next year is probably a good fit.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
LOL at all the posts earlier in the thread where people said "nobody hates Peavy." If this post isn't Peavy hate, what is?

And BTW, Peavy pitched well for the Sox. He just couldn't stay healthy. This whole "not being able to back it up" thing is a myth. I'm not sure Peavy ever said anything that was all that boastful in the first place. Some of you are acting like Jake guaranteed us a World Series championship or something.

Maybe people had unreasonable expectations. Maybe people thought they were getting 2007 Cy Young Jake Peavy. He was never going to regain that form with all the injuries he had. But he was an effective pitcher for the Sox when healthy, especially in 2012 and this year. He met my expectations. I'm sorry if he didn't meet yours. Be more realistic next time.

Peavy pitched well for the Red Sox in the Tampa Bay series. Nobody started a thread about that. He pitched poorly against Detroit, and here were are with this thread. Wonder why.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I hate when people bring their football fan mentality to baseball. There's a reason I don't follow football.

Peavy's a tough guy. Anybody who comes back from those injuries is tough. Unfortunately, toughness has nothing to do with hanging a slider and watching it travel 410 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 10-19-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wish Peavy nothing but the best! He gave full effort in a White Sox uniform, which is all we can ask for.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Maybe people had unreasonable expectations. Maybe people thought they were getting 2007 Cy Young Jake Peavy. He was never going to regain that form with all the injuries he had. But he was an effective pitcher for the Sox when healthy, especially in 2012 and this year. He met my expectations. I'm sorry if he didn't meet yours. Be more realistic next time.
The problem is that Peavy was making Cy Young money and was acquired to be the #1 starter in the rotation. He made $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012. That's more money than any other Sox starter has been paid. His salary is one of the reasons the Sox let Buehrle go and could not re-sign Pierzynski. On top of that, the Sox gave up at the time a huge haul for him (irregardless if those guys panned out with San Diego). The emergence of Sale was a nice surprise, if not accident, to be #1 starter, but Peavy was acquired to be the guy. When you talk about expectations, what I just spelled out is fairly reasonable. It just did not happen.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

I like Peavy and wish him nothing but the best. He tore his freakin' lat muscle off the bone, and then tried to come back too soon from the injury. Once he fully healed up, he was a decent pitcher. He had a bit of bumpy run in his career with the White Sox, but it was not from lack of effort. And he never said anything that IMHO wasn't just a little competitive jawing, which doesn't bother me in the least.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Has anybody here ever experienced or witnessed real hate? In all its frightening intensity? This is criticism in varying degrees. Other Sox players, even some really good ones have been subject to much worse on this board. If Peavy gets to experience what Keith Foulke did in 2004 I'll be happy for him.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Has anybody here ever experienced or witnessed real hate? In all its frightening intensity? This is criticism in varying degrees. Other Sox players, even some really good ones have been subject to much worse on this board. If Peavy gets to experience what Keith Foulke did in 2004 I'll be happy for him.
This is how I'd characterize it also. "Hate" has become an overused term almost to the extent "great" and "superstar" have. In certain cases, it represents an attempt to silence valid criticism or disagreement.

On the other hand, if the disagreement or criticism includes unnecessarily personal remarks, name calling and overuse of expletives for example, then it invites the application of the term.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The problem is that Peavy was making Cy Young money and was acquired to be the #1 starter in the rotation. He made $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011, and $17 million in 2012. That's more money than any other Sox starter has been paid. His salary is one of the reasons the Sox let Buehrle go and could not re-sign Pierzynski. On top of that, the Sox gave up at the time a huge haul for him (irregardless if those guys panned out with San Diego). The emergence of Sale was a nice surprise, if not accident, to be #1 starter, but Peavy was acquired to be the guy. When you talk about expectations, what I just spelled out is fairly reasonable. It just did not happen.
John Danks gets paid nearly as much. If Peavy was a failure what does that make Danks?!
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
John Danks gets paid nearly as much. If Peavy was a failure what does that make Danks?!
A pitcher 1 year removed from shoulder surgery.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Hopefully we can talk about it positively after the 2016 season.