White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Waiting for the "going cheap" posters here to beat up Illich. Got to say I'm as surprised as I've ever been. The guy must be a dynamite interview. Plus they must be figuring that the opposite choice, Leyland, couldn't get them to Point C.
I've been thinking something similar. Did Detroit want someone else because Leyland could not get them to point C, a la Doug Collins and the Bulls? Or did Leyland realize he had a team who couldn't get to point C, and, considering his age, etc. decided to leave?

It's becoming apparent that Detroit only has two players who excel in the playoffs - Peralta and Verlander. Cabrera becomes merely mortal, and Scherzer, well, Leyland would have had to let him pitch more to tell.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
You don't think your point of view is insulting to people who work on the internet?

Let me tell you, I have lots of friends who are journalists. Most work on the internet now, and almost all of them have blogs. The one that still works in print for a Chicago newspaper is EMBARRASSED that it's the only work he can find. I know that in your time things were different, but today working in print is not something to aspire to. Print is dying, and it's not only because the internet exists. It's because of who controls the print.
I shouldn't respond, but I was responsible for posting Internet stories at two newspapers and subordinate in the task at another. I hold the Internet to the same standards I hold newspapers, radio and television. My views are offensive only to people who lack ethical standards.

If you want to get into a discussion about why print is dying and who is killing it and who is benefitting from the death of serious journalism, there are political aspect that would require such a discussion be held elsewhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
You were saying???
Well, Ausmus did serve two tours of duty as the Tigers catcher!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

There's no conspiracy. For the last few years Leyland's operated under a 1 year contract, he says it was his choice, who knows... but this isn't a big surprise to me. He's very straightforward.

As for Ausmus... who else are you going to get? I like it as a Tiger fan. There's no other obvious candidate. If this happened a year ago then Francona would be the manager. All you have to do is look at the World Series teams.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
There's no conspiracy. For the last few years Leyland's operated under a 1 year contract, he says it was his choice, who knows... but this isn't a big surprise to me. He's very straightforward.

As for Ausmus... who else are you going to get? I like it as a Tiger fan. There's no other obvious candidate. If this happened a year ago then Francona would be the manager. All you have to do is look at the World Series teams.
Catchers do make good coaches, usually.