White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Jose Abreu's Swing

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jose-abreus-swing/

Interesting article that explores Abreu's mechanics. I think everybody will be happy with the comparisons.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice article thanks for the share
Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Doesn't address the "double toe-tap" I read as a complaint before. People have praised his ability to read the ball and say the bat speed isn't bad. His swing is being categorized as slow - because of his double toe-tap. I guess it's just not a great way to time a major league pitch for some people.

I have read that a toe-tap in general is utilized by some of the best hitters in baseball.

I think this is the kind of signing I like. This guy can hit, period. If he doesn't hit in the MLB, it will be a problem linked to something mechanical. To me that's just a gamble worth taking.

The toughest part would be him identifying pitches and hitting them really far very often. In Cuba - he did that.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Doesn't address the "double toe-tap" I read as a complaint before. People have praised his ability to read the ball and say the bat speed isn't bad. His swing is being categorized as slow - because of his double toe-tap. I guess it's just not a great way to time a major league pitch for some people.

I have read that a toe-tap in general is utilized by some of the best hitters in baseball.

I think this is the kind of signing I like. This guy can hit, period. If he doesn't hit in the MLB, it will be a problem linked to something mechanical. To me that's just a gamble worth taking.

The toughest part would be him identifying pitches and hitting them really far very often. In Cuba - he did that.
Buster Posey, the guy who the article says Abreu's swing resembles, has a delayed stride, similar to a double toe tap.