White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Anybody else tired of the national media referring to Boston as "the Sox"?

Couldn't see a similar thread, I imagine it's probably come up before--but how many of my fellow fans of the "Right Sox" are tired of hearing the announcers in the playoffs, and now the World Series, constantly referring to Boston as "the Sox"? It's bad enough that under normal circumstances we have to constantly see Boston on the East Coast Sports Programming Network--do we really need the extra dose of Northeastern media myopia?

Grumble, grumble--and yes, Middlebrooks was obstructing on that play...
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
Couldn't see a similar thread, I imagine it's probably come up before--but how many of my fellow fans of the "Right Sox" are tired of hearing the announcers in the playoffs, and now the World Series, constantly referring to Boston as "the Sox"? It's bad enough that under normal circumstances we have to constantly see Boston on the East Coast Sports Programming Network--do we really need the extra dose of Northeastern media myopia?

Grumble, grumble--and yes, Middlebrooks was obstructing on that play...
Yes, me too. I often refer to them as the other Sox, as THE Sox had the term sox first.

I hate on the MLB iOs app that they often use the nicknames for Other Sox players.

I rooted for the Other Sox in the 2004 postseason. Since then I've grown so tired of the Other Sox, their fans and the media coverage of them. Doesn't help how Cubbie clowns glom onto the Other Sox.

And, yes, you're right that was the right call to end the game.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
WSI Regular

What makes it worse is the national media refers to our Sox as the White Sox, as if there is only one Sox team.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:08 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procol Harum View Post
Coach and Sam were referring to them as the "Sox" on Cheers 30 years ago, so it's not a new phenomenon.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

A favorite pet peeve of Ed Farmer. What does it say on the front of Boston's home jersey? "Red Sox." What does it say on the front of Chicago's home jersey? "Sox." Case closed as per Farmio.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Coach and Sam were referring to them as the "Sox" on Cheers 30 years ago, so it's not a new phenomenon.
Well that at least was a TV sitcom about a Boston bar.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Regular

For years I've been seeing headlines on mlb.com that mention the "Sox" and every time it's referring to Boston. That's irritating. Although to be fair, in situations like this year's world series when Boston is the only Sox team playing, I don't see a problem with referring to the Red Sox as the Sox for short. It's the same as Cards or A's or M's or Jays.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

The Red Sox have been simply "the Sox" in Boston and New England, to the fans, announcers and headline writers in the regional media for decades and probably longer. I believe in Babe Ruth's autobiography he talks about playing for "the Sox." I'm guessing the Blue Jays are simply the Jays in Toronto and among Canadian fans. The Devil Rays were probably the Rays to their fans long before they dropped the Devil. In Pittsburg, the Pirates are the "Bucs" because shortening buccaneer sounds better than shortening pirate. In San Diego, fans talk about "the Pads" as silly as that might sound. At Northern Arizona University, the sports teams, the Lumberjacks are often called "the Jacks." The Yuma High School Criminals are the Crims and Arizona Western College Matadors are the Mats. I doubt that the Scottsdale Community College Artichokes are known as the 'Chokes," but I digress.

The national media referring to the Red Sox as "the Sox," though does sound a bit too familiar, as if the national media were calling the Tigers "the Tiges." The White Sox have "Sox" on their jerseys and caps, but with the Red Sox, the abbreviation is your own.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm more worried about our Sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by little nell View Post
i'm more worried about our sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.
+1

Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm more worried about our Sox turning around a 99 loss season in 2013 and becoming contenders in 2014.
Good point. That would be the best way for them to stake their claim as being THE sox.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Good point. I'm sure most, if not all the posters here, are more concerned about the way the team does on the field. This is just a timely point with the Other Sox in the World Series.

The Other Sox turn around from their 69-93 2012 record is a great thing for our Sox to strive for, and I think it's achievable (pardon my rose colored glasses).
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Good point. I'm sure most, if not all the posters here, are more concerned about the way the team does on the field. This is just a timely point with the Other Sox in the World Series.

The Other Sox turn around from their 69-93 2012 record is a great thing for our Sox to strive for, and I think it's achievable (pardon my rose colored glasses).
No need to apologize.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post

In the first 90 years of the game no team had gone from first to last. In the last 24 years it has happened 11 times. With free agency and some smart trades our Sox can do it. We already have good pitching and Hahn came up with a couple nice moves trading for Garcia and signing Abreu. I also think Semien is going to help out. Nothing surprises me in Baseball anymore and I'm looking for Hahn to make a few more moves and for us to contend in 2014.

PS I'm sure someone will bring up that until 1969 we only had 2 pennant races. Things are easier now as we went to 4 races and now 6 races plus now you only have to beat out 4 teams. Another thing to look at is that I don't think there are any great teams in Baseball right now, no Bronx Bombers, No Big Red Machine, no teams that 20 years from now that people will be talking about.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 10-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's just the national media picking up on a regional trait. My dad and I have been lifelong Sox fans and rarely - if ever - do we refer to the Sox as the White Sox.

As much as people nationally love Boston, there will always be just one Sox team for me.