White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,537
Default WGN-TV about to lose Cubs games

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2270840.story
Screw that long relationship. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 PM
mrfourni mrfourni is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oak Lawn, Illinois
Posts: 1,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2270840.story
Screw that long relationship. It's all about the Benjamins, baby.
That article implies they are either going to lose the cubs or pony up a lot more $$$ to keep them. It will be interesting to follow. You hear a lot of talk about the cubs splitting and forming their own network when the Comcast deal is done. Should be fun to see how this impacts the sox. Hopefully they'll negotiate a big payday with comcast or their own new network as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
That article implies they are either going to lose the cubs or pony up a lot more $$$ to keep them. It will be interesting to follow. You hear a lot of talk about the cubs splitting and forming their own network when the Comcast deal is done. Should be fun to see how this impacts the sox. Hopefully they'll negotiate a big payday with comcast or their own new network as well.
If this happens and the Cubs leave WGN the Sox need to step in and put as many games they can on WGN. Only good things could come from a move like that. That being said I will believe it when I see it that the Cubs and WGN part ways.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If this happens and the Cubs leave WGN the Sox need to step in and put as many games they can on WGN. Only good things could come from a move like that. That being said I will believe it when I see it that the Cubs and WGN part ways.
I read a few years ago the Cubs made twice as much money per game when they were broadcast on Comcast vs WGN. Local broadcast money is what makes the big boys the big boys. You don't get as much on an over the air station.

I don't know if MLB requires a number of telecasts to be on a over the air channel. I know the NBA requires 30 or 35.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,176
Default

I wonder how losing the Cubs would affect WGN in the cable marketplace. I've been told by cable execs in places where I've lived (which didn't carry WGN, I always seem to end up in such places) that they don't offer WGN because of all the baseball. On the other hand, I have to believe that some cable systems carry WGN because of the baseball. I don't know how many, if any, markets black out WGN baseball.

What WGN has determined they will spend on baseball has to be based on market research showing them they will gain.

In theory, as it would have no effect on me, I would love to see the Cubs limited to their own network. I wouldn't even mind if Cubs executives decided to embrace the pay-per-view future.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM
beasly213 beasly213 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 4,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
If this happens and the Cubs leave WGN the Sox need to step in and put as many games they can on WGN. Only good things could come from a move like that. That being said I will believe it when I see it that the Cubs and WGN part ways.
I get what you're saying here, and I get the idea behind it, that another generation of kids will grow up White Sox fans like they did Cub fans when the Cubs were on the WGN when they were growing up..

But times are different now, kids have way more entertainment options then they used to, and I dont see kids coming home from school and sitting in front of the TV to watch White Sox baseball. With most cable packages carrying the MLB network, kids growing up who are big baseball fans are going to flock to the teams that are actually really good and have big stars. It's much easier to follow an out of market team now than it has ever been.

I wouldn't be against the Sox having more games on WGN simply because I think they have a better production than Comcast does. But as others have said in this thread I believe the Sox get more money from their Comcast deal than they would WGN.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I get what you're saying here, and I get the idea behind it, that another generation of kids will grow up White Sox fans like they did Cub fans when the Cubs were on the WGN when they were growing up..

But times are different now, kids have way more entertainment options then they used to, and I dont see kids coming home from school and sitting in front of the TV to watch White Sox baseball. With most cable packages carrying the MLB network, kids growing up who are big baseball fans are going to flock to the teams that are actually really good and have big stars. It's much easier to follow an out of market team now than it has ever been.

I wouldn't be against the Sox having more games on WGN simply because I think they have a better production than Comcast does. But as others have said in this thread I believe the Sox get more money from their Comcast deal than they would WGN.
WGN production is way better than Comcast. I sometimes wonder if Comcast is ran by a high school AV club. Their production quality is piss poor.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I wonder how losing the Cubs would affect WGN in the cable marketplace. I've been told by cable execs in places where I've lived (which didn't carry WGN, I always seem to end up in such places) that they don't offer WGN because of all the baseball. On the other hand, I have to believe that some cable systems carry WGN because of the baseball. I don't know how many, if any, markets black out WGN baseball.

What WGN has determined they will spend on baseball has to be based on market research showing them they will gain.

In theory, as it would have no effect on me, I would love to see the Cubs limited to their own network. I wouldn't even mind if Cubs executives decided to embrace the pay-per-view future.
WGN is pretty awful if you take away the baseball. I can only watch so many AFV reruns.
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,991
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post
WGN is pretty awful if you take away the baseball. I can only watch so many AFV reruns.
Subjective, of course, but I think their local news is the best in the area.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Huisj Huisj is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 3,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
I read a few years ago the Cubs made twice as much money per game when they were broadcast on Comcast vs WGN. Local broadcast money is what makes the big boys the big boys. You don't get as much on an over the air station.

I don't know if MLB requires a number of telecasts to be on a over the air channel. I know the NBA requires 30 or 35.
Are you sure about this? I don't know of any Pistons games that are broadcast over the air here. Everything is on cable on Fox Sports Detroit. Same with the Tigers. I suspect it is that way in most markets with a big regional sports network. Chicago seems like the rare exception these days.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:08 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
I read a few years ago the Cubs made twice as much money per game when they were broadcast on Comcast vs WGN. Local broadcast money is what makes the big boys the big boys. You don't get as much on an over the air station.

I don't know if MLB requires a number of telecasts to be on a over the air channel. I know the NBA requires 30 or 35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Are you sure about this? I don't know of any Pistons games that are broadcast over the air here. Everything is on cable on Fox Sports Detroit. Same with the Tigers. I suspect it is that way in most markets with a big regional sports network. Chicago seems like the rare exception these days.
Same with Wizards games here. All on cable.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 53,991
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Are you sure about this? I don't know of any Pistons games that are broadcast over the air here. Everything is on cable on Fox Sports Detroit. Same with the Tigers. I suspect it is that way in most markets with a big regional sports network. Chicago seems like the rare exception these days.
Yeah, I don't think it's over the air, I think it's regional; it essentially assure RSN's that they will get a nice size chunk of NBA games, otherwise there'd be little incentive for them if they knew all of a good team's games would be on ESPN or TNT.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
Are you sure about this? I don't know of any Pistons games that are broadcast over the air here. Everything is on cable on Fox Sports Detroit. Same with the Tigers. I suspect it is that way in most markets with a big regional sports network. Chicago seems like the rare exception these days.
I thought I saw that some time ago, but I guess not. The Bulls usually have at least 30 games on WGN and WCIU. 12-15 games are usually on the Superstation.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Subjective, of course, but I think their local news is the best in the area.
Skilling and seeing whatever suit Robert Jordan picked out that day is enough to make them my favorite. Plus, they have easily the least annoying sports anchors.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
I get what you're saying here, and I get the idea behind it, that another generation of kids will grow up White Sox fans like they did Cub fans when the Cubs were on the WGN when they were growing up..

But times are different now, kids have way more entertainment options then they used to, and I dont see kids coming home from school and sitting in front of the TV to watch White Sox baseball. With most cable packages carrying the MLB network, kids growing up who are big baseball fans are going to flock to the teams that are actually really good and have big stars. It's much easier to follow an out of market team now than it has ever been.

I wouldn't be against the Sox having more games on WGN simply because I think they have a better production than Comcast does. But as others have said in this thread I believe the Sox get more money from their Comcast deal than they would WGN.
For me it would be great as I only get to see them when they are on WGN or when they are playing the Rays and watch on SunSports.
The other thing I was thinking is that we might become relevant nationally, I'm not saying we would become America's team but maybe ESPN would realize there are 2 teams in MLB with Sox in their names. I'm tired of people when I meet them and tell them I'm originally from Chicago and the first thing they ask is if I'm a Cub fan.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.