White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nope, bide yer time for one more year. I'm not sure what FA class of 14 looks like but it has to be more impactful than this years'.

I think the division will be much more wide open in 15 than in 14.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Unless he euthanizes Dunn, that is about it.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:10 PM
WSI Personality

Disagree

I hope that he takes the same approach that the Red Sox did;enough with all this rebuilding crap. Teams like the Cubs, Royals,Twins,Padres,and ect have been rebuilding for years just to see some of their players get moved just as they start getting good because they don't want to pay the going rate. Hell the White Sox have only been to the World Series 3 times since 1919 so rebuild as you go and start looking at things in a positive way. The Red Sox were supposed to be old and finished and they won it all.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Young on a 1 year deal makes sense. Gives you a chance to be competitive if everything works out right. If not, trade him to a contender at the deadline.
What position would he play and not make our bad defense worse?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I see no one out there that would be considered big that the Sox would consider getting. Trade wise they only have 1 asset that could get anyone "big". So my answer is no.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
What position would he play and not make our bad defense worse?
Its impossible to make our defense worse.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
There will be some more moves, another signing and some trades.
Upgrades at LF, CF, 3B and Catching are needed.
I agree. However, Viciedo is returning to left. He and Ramirez were cited as reasons why Abreu signed with us so he isn't going anywhere in the short term. Viciedo and Ramirez are being counted upon to help Abreu adjust to living in the United States.

I think De Aza is gone because of his stupid play. Maybe we sign Granderson or Choo.

If you read between the lines in Hahn's recent Score interview, it sounded like he's going to do his best to trade Dunn.

I think Saltalamacchia may be pursued. We need a catcher and a lefty bat.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I agree. However, Viciedo is returning to left. He and Ramirez were cited as reasons why Abreu signed with us so he isn't going anywhere in the short term. Viciedo and Ramirez are being counted upon to help Abreu adjust to living in the United States.

I think De Aza is gone because of his stupid play. Maybe we sign Granderson or Choo.

If you read between the lines in Hahn's recent Score interview, it sounded like he's going to do his best to trade Dunn.

If we can unload Dunn then Viciedo can become our DH, we need people who can catch the ball.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There will be some more moves, another signing and some trades.
Upgrades at LF, CF, 3B and Catching are needed.
Agreed that we need upgrades, but I don't think that we'll get them all this year. We may get someone at 3B or C, but I don't see us filling both. We can't expect to get all positions filled next off season. If someone fits into our future plans, we may have to burn a year of a contract to ensure they're here for 2015+. Other positions you will see competitions with guys we have in the minors. I wouldn't have minded exploring Ramirez to the Cards for Freese, as we have more options at SS than 3B for the future. Freese isn't a huge acquisition, but he's a lot better than our current options and frees up a lot more $$$ for the future.

Quote:
If we can unload Dunn then Viciedo can become our DH, we need people who can catch the ball.
I would have loved to dump Dunn, even if it meant covering $5 million for this year. I'd rather have the open $$$ and the open spot to get someone in the line-up.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd still like to see the Sox sign McCann. I don't see them doing any better at the position over the next five years and with the payroll flexibility they have I don't really see how it would get in the way of further rebuilding. He'd be a massive improvement at a key position and help stabilize the team. While the overall FA market is thin, catcher is the exception. It could be more difficult to acquire an impact catcher in the future. We've got the makings of a fine rotation, the sox should bring in a quality catcher to go along with it ASAP.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I agree. Catcher is arguably the #1 need and Saltalamacchia was not given a qualifying offer by Boston which means Hahn's draft pick would be protected. The Sox only have $53 million on the books for 2013. Even after arb raises, it still will be quite low so there is room for one more moderate to big free agent signing. Saltalmacchia seems to fit a need. He is 29 years old so he could still be productive when the team is competitive again and there is literally no catching in the farm system so that position will either be filled via trade or free agency. There are some downsides to Salty though. While he is a switch hitter, he is far better right handed than left handed. Also, some have pegged him as an average defender at best. However, he is light years better than anything we have and would give us some much needed production from that position. I have a feeling Hahn will be kicking the tires on Salty this offseason.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree. Catcher is arguably the #1 need and Saltalamacchia was not given a qualifying offer by Boston which means Hahn's draft pick would be protected. The Sox only have $53 million on the books for 2013. Even after arb raises, it still will be quite low so there is room for one more moderate to big free agent signing. Saltalmacchia seems to fit a need. He is 29 years old so he could still be productive when the team is competitive again and there is literally no catching in the farm system so that position will either be filled via trade or free agency. There are some downsides to Salty though. While he is a switch hitter, he is far better right handed than left handed. Also, some have pegged him as an average defender at best. However, he is light years better than anything we have and would give us some much needed production from that position. I have a feeling Hahn will be kicking the tires on Salty this offseason.
Hope your right about the guy with the longest name in baseball. During the WS I kept thinking "Salty and Ellsbury would look good in the right Sox uni"

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree. Also, some have pegged him as an average defender at best. However, he is light years better than anything we have and would give us some much needed production from that position. I have a feeling Hahn will be kicking the tires on Salty this offseason.
Below average catcher. He ranked 35th out of 40 in AL when you include all the catchers in for throwing out baserunners. He finished behind Flowers and well behind Phegley.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM
WSI High Priest

No.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Its impossible to make our defense worse.
Have you watched Michael Young lately?

I would rather they bring back Juan Uribe for 3B. Yes, he is an undisciplined hitter but would provide great defense, some pop and a good clubhouse presence.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012