White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
He doesn't have value.

It's not my opinion- it's the fact that zero MLB teams have any interest in adding Adam Dunn to their roster- if any of them did see value in Dunn- he's be gone by now as part of the rebuilding/retooling of the team.
I don't think this is true. It's more a cat and mouse game. Teams think they can get him for next to nothing, and the White Sox think they can get something out of him. The truth is in between, but both sides are playing the game right now. If Dunn were a free agent, he'd be the best low cost DH option out there.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI Personality

The Trib's Paul Sullivan thinks that the Sox should eat Dunn's $15 million salary AND pay Konerko $8 million!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post
The Trib's Paul Sullivan thinks that the Sox should eat Dunn's $15 million salary AND pay Konerko $8 million!

He can't possibly be that stupid, right? Right?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I don't think this is true. It's more a cat and mouse game. Teams think they can get him for next to nothing, and the White Sox think they can get something out of him. The truth is in between, but both sides are playing the game right now. If Dunn were a free agent, he'd be the best low cost DH option out there.
I hope you're right- but the market is very limited for teams (AL only) who desire a LH DH who has hit <.220 each season for the last 3 years.

Only a contender would even consider the move based on Dunn's age- so you're down to a handful of teams-

I don't think the White Sox expect anything of value in exchange for Dunn- just hoping to not have to eat all of his salary to get him off the roster.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 11-14-2013, 09:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
You're aware the team isn't going to be very good this upcoming season.
I think the issue is that a lot of people here don't think that. I am with you, of course.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 11-14-2013, 10:02 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I
Only a contender would even consider the move based on Dunn's age- so you're down to a handful of teams-
I don't think the age thing will be much of a factor since you only have 1 year left on Dunn's deal, it's not like he's a guy whose been on a steady decline whose still signed for another couple of seasons.

It's simply going to depend on if he can start the season well, the Sox fall out of contention early, and probably, how much of the $15 million they are willing to salt and pepper. Now that the Sox have signed Abreu, I think they may be more open to eating some of that money now that Dunn is actually standing in the way of a young bat. So probably, depending on how MLB-ready Abreu looks will factor in, as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I think the issue is that a lot of people here don't think that. I am with you, of course.
I went through this last off season. Some people are just gonna believe we're in it simply on the principle of the date. They aren't ever going to take into consideration that talent-wise we're one of the five worst organizations, both at the major league level and across the board at all levels.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I went through this last off season. Some people are just gonna believe we're in it simply on the principle of the date. They aren't ever going to take into consideration that talent-wise we're one of the five worst organizations, both at the major league level and across the board at all levels.
I think people are a little more receptive to that reality now that we're coming off a 99-loss season.

Just because someone here or there thinks the Sox can turn this thing around in 1 off-season doesn't mean that the majority of fans aren't anticipating another losing campaign in 2014.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think people are a little more receptive to that reality now that we're coming off a 99-loss season.

Just because someone here or there thinks the Sox can turn this thing around in 1 off-season doesn't mean that the majority of fans aren't anticipating another losing campaign in 2014.
I agree they should expect it...but I'm with Kittle. The vibe I'm getting from a lot of responses seem to be an expectation of a good year. People are going to be in for a rude awakening. This year's team could actually be worse, considering the young pitching is likely (I'm looking squarely at Santiago) to regress (or continue to regress, in his case). Not to mention - Sale and Quintana both had about a good a year as you can expect from them. In general, those things don't duplicate on a consistent basis (although, in Sale's case it might).
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I agree they should expect it...but I'm with Kittle. The vibe I'm getting from a lot of responses seem to be an expectation of a good year. People are going to be in for a rude awakening. This year's team could actually be worse, considering the young pitching is likely (I'm looking squarely at Santiago) to regress (or continue to regress, in his case). Not to mention - Sale and Quintana both had about a good a year as you can expect from them. In general, those things don't duplicate on a consistent basis (although, in Sale's case it might).
Yeah, but you can also flip that and point out the offense was collectively about as awful as possible. Even the worst of teams are usually more offensively proficient than the 2013 Sox, so it's likely there will be some movement toward the middle, there as well.

I also don't see many responses in this thread that seem to be from people who expect the Sox to be very good next year, but that doesn't mean we have to give away at bats to Konerko who was about as awful of a player in the AL last year.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but you can also flip that and point out the offense was collectively about as awful as possible. Even the worst of teams are usually more offensively proficient than the 2013 Sox, so it's likely there will be some movement toward the middle, there as well.

I also don't see many responses in this thread that seem to be from people who expect the Sox to be very good next year, but that doesn't mean we have to give away at bats to Konerko who was about as awful of a player in the AL last year.
Oh no doubt. I just think they'll cancel each other out mostly. And of course this is contingent on no big pickups.

Konerko was terrible last year, but so was Dunn. And there's a lot of different arguments...Dunn's batting average was worse, Paulie's OPS is worse...that's why I'm relying on WAR here. Overall, they were both pretty bad according to WAR (which takes both into account). And Paulie was about a game worse (a little more). But to a team like we're going to field...there's really no difference in the choice. So why not bring back the guy you'd rather have based on other things? He's been here longer, is well liked by the fan base, and is the last remaining player from our World Series title.

IDK...to me, unless you're going out and trading for Billy Butler to DH long term, this seems like an obvious move.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You're aware the team isn't going to be very good this upcoming season.
I am confident that they will improve on 2013. How much remains to be seen.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 PM
WSI Prelate

It will be tough to be worse than last year.

I know people will look at teams that have gone from worst to first and think "Well, it's a crapshoot," but it isn't. If it was really a crapshoot, you wouldn't see too many repeat World Series champs. They are cherrypicking times when that happened while completely ignoring the *huge* number of times it has not.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Oh no doubt. I just think they'll cancel each other out mostly. And of course this is contingent on no big pickups.

Konerko was terrible last year, but so was Dunn. And there's a lot of different arguments...Dunn's batting average was worse, Paulie's OPS is worse...that's why I'm relying on WAR here. Overall, they were both pretty bad according to WAR (which takes both into account). And Paulie was about a game worse (a little more). But to a team like we're going to field...there's really no difference in the choice. So why not bring back the guy you'd rather have based on other things? He's been here longer, is well liked by the fan base, and is the last remaining player from our World Series title.

IDK...to me, unless you're going out and trading for Billy Butler to DH long term, this seems like an obvious move.
Your post pretty much sums up my take on it.

Dunn is horrible vs. LHPs, PK (even in such a bad year) hit LHPs pretty well- so a platoon DH set up while lighting candles and praying that an AL team wil take Dunn off our hands before his contract expires makes sense to me.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleBall View Post

I wouldn't offer PK over $5M-

His comment about Dunn delivering 10 HRs and 26 RBIs in the 2nd half of 2013 was interesting-
Closed Thread