White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Great Read by Olney on PK, JR and Loyalty

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...post/_/id/3836

Nothing new, but very interesting. - ESPN Insider Required -
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bust...post/_/id/3836

Nothing new, but very interesting. - ESPN Insider Required -
Recap for those of us who are not ESPN Insider's?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
Recap for those of us who are not ESPN Insider's?
Not anything we don't already know of; spot's there, Reinsdorf is loyal, and Reinsdorf says he wants to be better than last year. Talked about the difficulty in finding a spot, because of Dunn and Viciedo both likely DH candadites. Basically says they'd have to eat Dunn's deal for there to be a spot. Talks on platoon DH, but says it's pretty unheard of to carry two DH types. Guess he hasn't been watching the White Sox post 2005...

Interesting to note this comment from Olney "In October, the White Sox won the bidding for first baseman Jose Abreu for a whopping $68 million, a significant investment for an organization that, in the eyes of other teams, is thin in talent." Definitely not the attitude on roster talent we have on this site.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

When I first glanced at the title of the thread I thought the article was written by ozwaldos son. That may have been an interesting read.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Interesting to note this comment from Olney "In October, the White Sox won the bidding for first baseman Jose Abreu for a whopping $68 million, a significant investment for an organization that, in the eyes of other teams, is thin in talent." Definitely not the attitude on roster talent we have on this site.
Really? Funny...all I read about here is how thin the minor league system is and the numerous holes that are needed to be filled before this team is competitive again.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Really? Funny...all I read about here is how thin the minor league system is and the numerous holes that are needed to be filled before this team is competitive again.
Maybe it's just a vocal minority that thinks we're competing soon. Every time I hear about one of our young pitchers and rotation depth, I feel like people need a reality check.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
That seems to be the prevailing view.

Quote:
Maybe it's just a vocal minority that thinks we're competing soon. Every time I hear about one of our young pitchers and rotation depth, I feel like people need a reality check.
As someone who thinks the Sox will get better more quickly than people think, let me say this: pitching is the hardest commodity to acquire and/or develop and it is the most important building block of a successful team. Can you think of a world championship team that didn't have three or four top starting pitchers? Actually, most have at least four. While I concede that pitching depth alone won't turn the Sox around, pitching is a very important component of cobbling together a winning team.

Free agency makes it possible to fill holes among the position players much more quickly than in the days before free agency, of that there is no doubt.

In short, Rick Hahn is off to a good start. But the Sox have more work to do.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
People have short memories. I'm with you on this.
2007=72-90, 4th place
2008=89-74 Division champs.

2012=104 days in first place.
2013=still with most of the guys from the 2012 team.

Anything is possible.

All hail The Rick
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Call me an optimist, but I think the Sox can be competitive sooner rather than later. I think that they are going the right way in terms of adding overall talent. They have some pieces worth building around on both sides. There is still work that needs to be done, I've expressed my concerns about properly developing decent hitters numerous times. Injuries can always ruin careers and some guys just don't make it. If they cleaned up their defense and baserunning, they could have won at least 15 more games than they did.
Then there's our competition (for the division at least):
The Tigers are much better than us right now, but how much longer does this current group have? Miguel Cabrera will be on the wrong side of 30 next year, Prince Fielder and Max Scherzer will turn 30. Verlander is starting to be hittable. They have good young outfielders, and Jose Iglesias can hold down shortstop for a while, but are they going to figure out the bullpen?
The Indians might be the next team to dominate the division for several years. They have good young hitters, especially when Francisco Lindor gets there. Danny Salazar broke out last year, but can he keep it up? Will they figure out their bullpen? Can they keep Masterson? Will Bauer figure it out?
Kansas City made a good run last year, but their hitting numbers were not all that impressive, outside of Perez and Hosmer. Who gets the ball after Shields? What do they do after Shields leaves for a bigger offer?
Last year, Birmingham might have had a better rotation than the Twins. Mauer is going to be on the wrong side of 30. Buxton will be a pain to deal with, but outside of him, who else is there? They've really soured on Sano for his attitude. They might have a long way to go.
So to summarize, I think Hahn has a good game plan going forward. If the Sox can continue to add to their talent, develop some good players and get lucky with some breakout years, they can compete. We have our problems, but so does everybody else. Baseball is a very unpredictable sport, and the White Sox have a chance if they put themselves in the right position.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I count one.
Chris Sale is a #1. Jose Quintana is a fine starter and I like the upside of Erik Johnson. In 2014, John Danks will be two years removed from surgery. He is a question mark, sure, but he still has a lot of upside. I am looking forward to see how he pitches in the spring. The Sox have a lot of possibilities for a 5th starter.

I think the starting pitching will be fine.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't think there are many of us who think the Sox will be competitive, as in win the division competitive in the next couple of years.

But we have to be more competitive than last season, for the dual sake of the fans and to make the club more financially viable.

I'd be happy with a younger .500 club with some exciting young talent, i.e. Sale, Quintana, Avisail and Abreu (and a few more like that) than to see the Sox go bonkers to try and win a division and forestall the obvious need to revitalize the minor league pipeline that Kenny (and Schueler before him) neglected and that Jerry underfunded for so many years.

Also, if I read that paraphrase of the article right, if bringing back Konerko pushes the Sox into dumping Dunn, I'm all for it.