White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't think the Sox have had a Spanky on the team since Mike Squires.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't think the Sox have had a Spanky on the team since Mike Squires.
I hope Mike LaValliere isn't reading this.

*edit beaten. I didn't realize there was another page. Rats.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
And yet upthread there is a vid of him throwing a runner out returning to first on the fly from the CF warninf track, so maybe his arm isn't so bad???
Hopefully Fabian is wrong. That wasn't a Cespedes type cannon throw out though.

There's an article where Hahn is quoted to say that Eaton's arm was plus before rehab.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroMaster87 View Post
Didn't realize Tank hit that well after the ASB. I just see him being yet another base clogging, no glove guy as Donkey, Flowers, Paulie, Abreu. That's just too many...I actually think that the fact that Tank is 25 years old, an argument could be made that he is more attractive. And he's still under team control, right?
Post all star break? That's cherry picking.

Viciedo had a good month in July, and also in September which is pretty much garbage time for non-contenders.

The rest of the year he was his usual three outcome self. With power output way down, his lone source of value was sapped. That could possibly be due to the injury, but how do you rule out the rest of the year?

He's 25 but he's had 1152 ABs, over 4 years more than enough time to know what to expect from him.

Plus this is his last year before arbitration with Boras, and he's going to make upwards of $3.25m already this year before Boras asks for the moon next winter.

The time to trade him is now, while he still holds some value due to "potential". Actually, a better time would have been last offseason coming off some decent power numbers.

As for Abreu, I sure hope he's not picking up anything about plate patience from Viciedo or Ramirez...
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
He's perhaps the dumbest player I've seen play for the Sox
He may be up there, but Danny Richar always springs to mind relative to players that just seemed to be lost on the field.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Viciedo had a good month in July, and also in September which is pretty much garbage time for non-contenders.

The rest of the year he was his usual three outcome self. With power output way down, his lone source of value was sapped. That could possibly be due to the injury, but how do you rule out the rest of the year?

He's 25 but he's had 1152 ABs, over 4 years more than enough time to know what to expect from him.

Plus this is his last year before arbitration with Boras, and he's going to make upwards of $3.25m already this year before Boras asks for the moon next winter.

The time to trade him is now, while he still holds some value due to "potential". Actually, a better time would have been last offseason coming off some decent power numbers.

As for Abreu, I sure hope he's not picking up anything about plate patience from Viciedo or Ramirez...
I'm not sure any team is dumb enough to think Viciedo is going to be a good player.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I agree that we have seen enough from Viciedo to know what he is. Hind sight is 20/20.....the Sox could not have traded him last offseason because they still thought he could improve above his 2012 power #'s and they were coming off a season where they led the division for 118 games.

Also, I'm sure that Abreu will not be learning anything about hitting from the Cubans but the value of having people around him that know what he is going through can't be understated either.

I would not mind trading both DeAza and Vicedo if we can bring back another OF.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I agree that we have seen enough from Viciedo to know what he is. Hind sight is 20/20.....the Sox could not have traded him last offseason because they still thought he could improve above his 2012 power #'s and they were coming off a season where they led the division for 118 games.

Also, I'm sure that Abreu will not be learning anything about hitting from the Cubans but the value of having people around him that know what he is going through can't be understated either.

I would not mind trading both DeAza and Vicedo if we can bring back another OF.
Hindsight's a funny thing. It's one thing if it's a surprise to everyone. But that's not the case here. The White Sox seemed to pretty much be the only ones who thought Viciedo was going to be something. So they really couldn't have shipped him out for anything valuable (especially since he also made money). The bigger issue was the amounts of at bats we gave him, and the lack of another option. It's one of the main reasons last year was SO bad.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
A half season is "cherry picking?"

Good god, people
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The White Sox seemed to pretty much be the only ones who thought Viciedo was going to be something.
This is not the case. Viciedo was considered a top prospect and had a ton of interest after 2012.

Prospect of the Day: Dayan Viciedo, OF, Chicago White Sox

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
This is not the case. Viciedo was considered a top prospect and had a ton of interest after 2012.

Prospect of the Day: Dayan Viciedo, OF, Chicago White Sox
That's from mid-season 2011, before he spent anything but a September in the league...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Good god, people
It is when half the time you're good, and half that time is against call-ups. Judging him based on that time versus the body of evidence is why we spend so much time with these also-rans.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'll be very interested to see what Logan Morrison brings in a trade for the Marlins. With De Aza and Viciedo being better players that could be available for the right price, we could see what the market is bearing for these corner OF type players.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Good god, people
OK fine, maybe that's not the best term. How about "outlier"?

Only the rarest players are consistent throughout a season, most players have streaks and slumps. I could also say he was hitting under .240 from June 4th to July 7th, which is between his two periods of injury.

The issue is the implication that somehow he "turned a corner" in July. IMO, the real Viciedo is somewhere between his pre-break numbers and post break numbers.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

I am not a Tank guy anymore. Very few guys succeed in the big leagues as low OBP guys. He doesn't display the Power Tool to make up for the low average and OBP. Its gotten a big, frustrating. He has a great ARM but is still a well below average LF defensively.

Ultimately, he is a below average contact hitter with a horrid eye who has displayed average power at LF. I don't think he has maxed out yet, but I don't expect much to improve but the power. Maybe he becomes a more consistent 25 homer a year guy, but he will NEVER be a middle of the order hitter.