White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #166  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 AM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't think the Sox have had a Spanky on the team since Mike Squires.
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM
MarksBrokenFoot MarksBrokenFoot is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
I don't think the Sox have had a Spanky on the team since Mike Squires.
I hope Mike LaValliere isn't reading this.

*edit beaten. I didn't realize there was another page. Rats.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
And yet upthread there is a vid of him throwing a runner out returning to first on the fly from the CF warninf track, so maybe his arm isn't so bad???
Hopefully Fabian is wrong. That wasn't a Cespedes type cannon throw out though.

There's an article where Hahn is quoted to say that Eaton's arm was plus before rehab.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,754
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroMaster87 View Post
Didn't realize Tank hit that well after the ASB. I just see him being yet another base clogging, no glove guy as Donkey, Flowers, Paulie, Abreu. That's just too many...I actually think that the fact that Tank is 25 years old, an argument could be made that he is more attractive. And he's still under team control, right?
Post all star break? That's cherry picking.

Viciedo had a good month in July, and also in September which is pretty much garbage time for non-contenders.

The rest of the year he was his usual three outcome self. With power output way down, his lone source of value was sapped. That could possibly be due to the injury, but how do you rule out the rest of the year?

He's 25 but he's had 1152 ABs, over 4 years more than enough time to know what to expect from him.

Plus this is his last year before arbitration with Boras, and he's going to make upwards of $3.25m already this year before Boras asks for the moon next winter.

The time to trade him is now, while he still holds some value due to "potential". Actually, a better time would have been last offseason coming off some decent power numbers.

As for Abreu, I sure hope he's not picking up anything about plate patience from Viciedo or Ramirez...
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Over By There's Avatar
Over By There Over By There is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Red Stick
Posts: 3,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
He's perhaps the dumbest player I've seen play for the Sox
He may be up there, but Danny Richar always springs to mind relative to players that just seemed to be lost on the field.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Post all star break? That's cherry picking.

Viciedo had a good month in July, and also in September which is pretty much garbage time for non-contenders.

The rest of the year he was his usual three outcome self. With power output way down, his lone source of value was sapped. That could possibly be due to the injury, but how do you rule out the rest of the year?

He's 25 but he's had 1152 ABs, over 4 years more than enough time to know what to expect from him.

Plus this is his last year before arbitration with Boras, and he's going to make upwards of $3.25m already this year before Boras asks for the moon next winter.

The time to trade him is now, while he still holds some value due to "potential". Actually, a better time would have been last offseason coming off some decent power numbers.

As for Abreu, I sure hope he's not picking up anything about plate patience from Viciedo or Ramirez...
I'm not sure any team is dumb enough to think Viciedo is going to be a good player.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Post all star break? That's cherry picking.

Viciedo had a good month in July, and also in September which is pretty much garbage time for non-contenders.

The rest of the year he was his usual three outcome self. With power output way down, his lone source of value was sapped. That could possibly be due to the injury, but how do you rule out the rest of the year?

He's 25 but he's had 1152 ABs, over 4 years more than enough time to know what to expect from him.

Plus this is his last year before arbitration with Boras, and he's going to make upwards of $3.25m already this year before Boras asks for the moon next winter.

The time to trade him is now, while he still holds some value due to "potential". Actually, a better time would have been last offseason coming off some decent power numbers.

As for Abreu, I sure hope he's not picking up anything about plate patience from Viciedo or Ramirez...
I agree that we have seen enough from Viciedo to know what he is. Hind sight is 20/20.....the Sox could not have traded him last offseason because they still thought he could improve above his 2012 power #'s and they were coming off a season where they led the division for 118 games.

Also, I'm sure that Abreu will not be learning anything about hitting from the Cubans but the value of having people around him that know what he is going through can't be understated either.

I would not mind trading both DeAza and Vicedo if we can bring back another OF.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I agree that we have seen enough from Viciedo to know what he is. Hind sight is 20/20.....the Sox could not have traded him last offseason because they still thought he could improve above his 2012 power #'s and they were coming off a season where they led the division for 118 games.

Also, I'm sure that Abreu will not be learning anything about hitting from the Cubans but the value of having people around him that know what he is going through can't be understated either.

I would not mind trading both DeAza and Vicedo if we can bring back another OF.
Hindsight's a funny thing. It's one thing if it's a surprise to everyone. But that's not the case here. The White Sox seemed to pretty much be the only ones who thought Viciedo was going to be something. So they really couldn't have shipped him out for anything valuable (especially since he also made money). The bigger issue was the amounts of at bats we gave him, and the lack of another option. It's one of the main reasons last year was SO bad.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,261
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Post all star break? That's cherry picking.
A half season is "cherry picking?"

Good god, people
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
The White Sox seemed to pretty much be the only ones who thought Viciedo was going to be something.
This is not the case. Viciedo was considered a top prospect and had a ton of interest after 2012.

Prospect of the Day: Dayan Viciedo, OF, Chicago White Sox
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
This is not the case. Viciedo was considered a top prospect and had a ton of interest after 2012.

Prospect of the Day: Dayan Viciedo, OF, Chicago White Sox
That's from mid-season 2011, before he spent anything but a September in the league...
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
A half season is "cherry picking?"

Good god, people
It is when half the time you're good, and half that time is against call-ups. Judging him based on that time versus the body of evidence is why we spend so much time with these also-rans.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,399
Default

I'll be very interested to see what Logan Morrison brings in a trade for the Marlins. With De Aza and Viciedo being better players that could be available for the right price, we could see what the market is bearing for these corner OF type players.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,754
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
A half season is "cherry picking?"

Good god, people
OK fine, maybe that's not the best term. How about "outlier"?

Only the rarest players are consistent throughout a season, most players have streaks and slumps. I could also say he was hitting under .240 from June 4th to July 7th, which is between his two periods of injury.

The issue is the implication that somehow he "turned a corner" in July. IMO, the real Viciedo is somewhere between his pre-break numbers and post break numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,594
Default

I am not a Tank guy anymore. Very few guys succeed in the big leagues as low OBP guys. He doesn't display the Power Tool to make up for the low average and OBP. Its gotten a big, frustrating. He has a great ARM but is still a well below average LF defensively.

Ultimately, he is a below average contact hitter with a horrid eye who has displayed average power at LF. I don't think he has maxed out yet, but I don't expect much to improve but the power. Maybe he becomes a more consistent 25 homer a year guy, but he will NEVER be a middle of the order hitter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.