White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
What fans? Fans of the other team maybe. I was at two of the Texas games at the Cell this year, and Sox fans overwhelmingly love the guy. Long ovations.
Sox fans didn't like him when he was with Minnesota. So yes, he obviously meant fans of teams he was not a member of.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Sox fans didn't like him when he was with Minnesota. So yes, he obviously meant fans of teams he was not a member of.
I always got the impression that fans didn't like him just because of his reputation as a baseball player. I'll dislike Miguel Cabrera because, in my opinion, he is a piece of **** human being. With AJ, I never felt like it had anything to do with his reputation as a person or teammate. The only bad things ever said about him as a teammate came from one year in San Francisco, and IIRC that turned out to be only one or two players who weren't exactly class acts either.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM
WSI Guru

If Eaton is the kind of guy who stirs it up in the clubhouse, well, frankly, maybe the Sox could use a little more of that.

Of course, what the hell do we know about really goes on in the clubhouse anyway?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
The interesting thing about AJ is that for all the screaming about what a bastard he is on the field, I've never heard anything about him being a bad guy in real life, a la what Domeshot just described. I've met him several times, as a member of the Twins and Sox, and he always seemed like a cool dude.
Yes sorry, I meant that is the image he gets. AJ seems like a great guy.

A long complicated story short, as with my other story, my father in law has some very obvious problems. On top of the Bi Polar and Mental stuff, he also has Parkinson's. He is also a big collector of autographs and such, its been his lifelong hobby. We were at the game where AJ hit a walk off homer in the 13th. Mike asked him at Sox Fest to sign his stub "Lucky 13". One of the Sox Personnel there kind of goes " NO PERSONALIZATIONS" and AJ looks at the Sox guy and goes "Hey, who is signing the autographs... I would be happy to put that on".
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

A long complicated story short, as with my other story, my father in law has some very obvious problems. On top of the Bi Polar and Mental stuff, he also has Parkinson's. He is also a big collector of autographs and such, its been his lifelong hobby. We were at the game where AJ hit a walk off homer in the 13th. Mike asked him at Sox Fest to sign his stub "Lucky 13". One of the Sox Personnel there kind of goes " NO PERSONALIZATIONS" and AJ looks at the Sox guy and goes "Hey, who is signing the autographs... I would be happy to put that on".
Wait, wait, wait - a member of Sox personnel was an ass? I can't believe it.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

I wouldn't blame the Sox employee. He was just doing his job, trying to enforce the rule that was established so that the autograph sessions don't run six hours while the player tries to figure out everyone's special request.

Conversely, its not appropriate to put angel wings on AJ as a human being because of this isolated incident. I've seen and heard stories of him being sensitive about autographing certain things at certain times, even for charitable causes.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 01-03-2014, 05:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses_Scurry View Post

AJ Pierzynski was a guy who was almost universally despised by fans

My impression is AJ was one of the most (if not the most) popular Sox players of recent history.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
WSI Regular

At then end of the day it is all about if that player helps you win. He doesn't have to be a decent human being as long as he isn't detrimental to that hard to define "clubhouse chemistry"

I have been following the Sox since 1969, I have had family work for the organization as well as I have been a season ticket holder for 24 years. I have been fortunate to attend many private signings and special events over the years. Based on several meetings and observations my experience is that Fisk is not a personable person. He can be extremely short and very condescending. Probably the least likeable player I have met. Having said that he was a winner and I did enjoy watching him play.

The absolute best ballplayers from a fan treatment standpoint (IMO) have been Billy Pierce and Mark Buehrle. Absolute gentlemen, just wonderful people who have represented the White Sox organization extremely well. Billy Pierce is just a genuinely nice man, he would spend time talking to my young kids at STH events, going way beyond the call of duty as a rep.

My favorite encounter with a player was running into Mark Buehrle at the Home Depot in Homer Township - I didn't want to bug the guy out running errands but he was the most friendly, down to earth ballplayer I have ever met - and I have met him numerous times - Soxfest, Spring Training etc. What is it about LH pitchers?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

In terms of ballplayers, you'd be hard pressed to find bigger class act than Jim Thome IMO.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:08 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post

My impression is AJ was one of the most (if not the most) popular Sox players of recent history.
I'm referring to fans of all the other teams.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
I have been following the Sox since 1969, I have had family work for the organization as well as I have been a season ticket holder for 24 years. I have been fortunate to attend many private signings and special events over the years. Based on several meetings and observations my experience is that Fisk is not a personable person. He can be extremely short and very condescending. Probably the least likeable player I have met. Having said that he was a winner and I did enjoy watching him play.

The absolute best ballplayers from a fan treatment standpoint (IMO) have been Billy Pierce and Mark Buehrle. Absolute gentlemen, just wonderful people who have represented the White Sox organization extremely well. Billy Pierce is just a genuinely nice man, he would spend time talking to my young kids at STH events, going way beyond the call of duty as a rep.

My favorite encounter with a player was running into Mark Buehrle at the Home Depot in Homer Township - I didn't want to bug the guy out running errands but he was the most friendly, down to earth ballplayer I have ever met - and I have met him numerous times - Soxfest, Spring Training etc. What is it about LH pitchers?
Agreed on all three. Fisk is one of the biggest jerks in baseball that I have met. My great uncle knew him, and he was always a jerk to fans. Have always been impressed with MB. I would love for him to stay involved with the Sox. It will be exciting if he wins his 200th game this year. Although with how he has thrown over his career, he should already be there. He always seems to be a couple games over .500 because he doesn't get much run support even with an ERA averaging under 4.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

My grandpa once shared a hospital room with Fisk for a day. Fisk was super cool with him. He even hung up my grandpa's pants for him.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
My grandpa once shared a hospital room with Fisk for a day. Fisk was super cool with him. He even hung up my grandpa's pants for him.
Was your grandpa wearing them while Fisk was hanging them? That makes a difference between nice guy and jerk.

All hail The Rick
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Anonymous Diamondbacks player says that Eaton is a selfish player and losing him was "addition by subtraction" for Arizona

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...trade/4283937/

Take it for what it's worth
The dude was up for 22 games in 2012 and 66 games in 2013. Ty Cobb was up for 3034 games and was probably the biggest jerk to ever be on a MLB payroll. Mr. Anonymous needs to grip on himself, Eaton wasn't up long enough to make a lasting impression in the clubhouse..
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Was your grandpa wearing them while Fisk was hanging them? That makes a difference between nice guy and jerk.
This is amusing.