White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 05:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Nobody, not even Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, has ever gotten an unanimous vote.
Lou Gehrig got votes for the Hall of Fame while he was still active. I'm not sure if the first Hall of Fame ballot required players to be retired. Obviously they didn't have to be retired for five years because Babe Ruth had not been and he was part of the first class. There were a lot more worthy candidates in those days because they were starting from scratch.

Gehrig was elected the year he played his last game after ALS forced him into retirement. The details of the special election were never announced, and it's irrelevant if it was or wasn't unanimous. For all I know, based upon what I read when I was growing up, t could have been by acclamation, like that obscure method of choosing the pope where the cardinals shout out a name instead of taking a vote.

If you threw the Hall of Fame entirely over to the Veterans Committee, you might see unanimous votes. If you had some other mass voting block, such as former major league players voting, I don't think you would see a unanimous vote for anyone. I don't see how you could have current players voting for the Hall of Fame because as a group, they are notoriously unknowledgeable about baseball history. I heard Ernie Banks tell Jack Brickhouse on WGN long ago that he had never heard of Babe Ruth until he made it to the majors.

Turning the voting over to the fans wouldn't result in any unanimous votes, and it wouldn't be an improvement over the writers.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Problem is, its mostly the realy dumbass ballots that don't get announced until after the vote is announced. I'm not liking the trend, it doesn't bode well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Annoying, though it doesn't seem to be the trend so far. We'll see. There are some dumbass ballots there.
Just checked baseballthinkfactory.com's most recent update. Even with the 17 mlb.com writers' ballots added (presumably, because they write of them) Thomas is at 90.6 percent.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Just checked baseballthinkfactory.com's most recent update. Even with the 17 mlb.com writers' ballots added (presumably, because they write of them) Thomas is at 90.6 percent.
It does indeed include those ballots; Maddux is no longer 100% there.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm not liking the trend, it doesn't bode well.
What trend? Frank's been hovering around 90.2-90.7% for the last week. Actually, he's gone up as far as 92%.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
What trend? Frank's been hovering around 90.2-90.7% for the last week. That's stagnant.
He was in the 92.5 range earlier. He's missed out on a handful today.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
WSI Guru

There is a great round table discussion on MLB Network now with Sherman, Costas, Darling, Rosenthal, Reynolds and Chris Russo from NY.

Next year's class has Randy Johnson, Smoltz and Pedro. 2015 will have Griffey. A lot of guys will fall off the ballot just because of the overcrowding.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 PM
WSI Guru

Of course Costas just lost some credibility because he said Thome's not officially retired yet and may play this year.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
There is a great round table discussion on MLB Network now with Sherman, Costas, Darling, Rosenthal, Reynolds and Chris Russo from NY.

Next year's class has Randy Johnson, Smoltz and Pedro. 2015 will have Griffey. A lot of guys will fall off the ballot just because of the overcrowding.
I thought I'd be tearing my hair out with Reynolds in there and no real sabermetrics guys, but Sherman and Rosenthal are talking sense...and they're not letting Mad Dog off the leash too much.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
300 wins, 500 homers or 3000 hits (unless tainted by steroids) are numbers which punch your ticket to Cooperstown. Adam Dunn may be the first to break that mold.
Dunn could get to 600 and not get in.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 PM
WSI Guru

Costas had some interesting reasoning on McGwire not getting in, ever, versus Bonds and Clemens. McGwire started putting up Babe Ruth/Ted Williams numbers after age 31 after the strike, while Bonds was already a great player before he started experimenting with PEDs.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Of course Costas just lost some credibility because he said Thome's not officially retired yet and may play this year.

He hasnt retired and if for some reason Thome was offered a contract, costas is correct. But I cant see anyone doing that.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
That would be a great class. No need to worry about Maddux. I am wondering why people thought Glavine wouldn't be a lock. He has 305 wins, a 3.54 career ERA, 2 Cy Young Awards, four other top-3 Cy Young finishes (9th all-time in CY shares), 10x All-Star, and throw in a WS MVP award.
Yeah, I always assumed Glavine would be a first ballot choice after he retired, but because of steroids, I have no idea what writers think these days.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I think he's right, I don't think Thome has officially retired yet but you don't have to retire officially to be eligible for the HOF ballot.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

They had that last year and it was great EXCEPT for Russo who was just moronic. I saw bits of it today and it was the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
I thought I'd be tearing my hair out with Reynolds in there and no real sabermetrics guys, but Sherman and Rosenthal are talking sense...and they're not letting Mad Dog off the leash too much.
I thought Sherman was a pretty big Sabermetric guy. I like the mix they have and I think that Reynolds brings a somewhat interesting view to some aspects of the game.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Frank!

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W