White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Is Tyler Flowers the Worst White Sox Starting Catcher of the Modern Era?

I think Flowers may be the worst starting catcher of the modern era for the White Sox- I took a look at some of the seasons of some of the other "bad" catchers we've had (Ben Davis, Mark Johnson, Bruce Kimm, etc.)- but just quickly scanning their stats vs. the stats of those catchers- I think Tyler "wins the prize"- and his first half stats include a very strong April- so his full season stats could get even worse. Starting in April- his batting average by month: .354, 208, .129, .091-

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/pos.shtml
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."

Last edited by TomBradley72; 07-14-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Has no one heard of Ron Karkovice?

Great defensively,could not hit his weight.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 PM
WSI Personality

I remember "Officer" Karkovice.

Miguel Olivo deserves some strong consideration, as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
Has no one heard of Ron Karkovice?

Great defensively,could not hit his weight.
That's the difference. Karko was a very good catcher. Flowers is much worse hitter, and he's a terrible catcher to boot.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM
WSI Regular

Exactly, Karko was superb defensively, Olivo had a cannon for a throwing arm, A.J. couldn't throw out runners but he hit well. Meanwhile Flowers can't hit, throw, catch the ball, anything, so my answer to the thread question is yes.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
That's the difference. Karko was a very good catcher. Flowers is much worse hitter, and he's a terrible catcher to boot.
Exactly. I'd take Karkovice over Flowers without a doubt.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Throwing out runners is the one thing that Flowers does reasonably well.
I'd like to see him improve his ball-catching skills or at least blocking skills.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Exactly. I'd take Karkovice over Flowers without a doubt.
Not even a contest, Karko wins hands down.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM
WSI Regular

I remember hating Mark Johnson a lot in the early 2000s, but he was only a backup. And yes, Tyler Flowers is awful. I was willing to cut him some slack with his injury last year, but he seems worse when healthy.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Karkovice was a first-round draft pick. He was actually a pretty good catcher on some pretty good teams, although not a big offensive threat. The Angels announcers used to talk about him being an Angels killer, and he hit a couple of home runs in games I attended in Anaheim. He never lived up to his offensive promise, though. When he was coming up, he was supposed to replace Fisk behind the plate, sending Fisk to left, but that didn't work out. I recall reading that putting Fisk in left to make room for Karkovice was the idea of GM Ken Harrelson.

Offensively, Flowers is better than Chuck Brinkman, who was simply a very weak hitter but a good defensive catcher after Ed Herrmann left. Brinkman hit one major league home run, surrendered by Rudy May. J.C. Martin was as bad in 1967 as he was an announcer in the 1970s, but pretty much all the hitters on the 1967 White Sox were bad.

I had a friend back in late 1970s who believed Bill Nahorodny was the worst regular catcher in White Sox history. My friend believed that Nahorodny (who the Sox picked up off of waivers from the Phillies organization) was so bad because it was so painful to hear Harry Caray say the White Sox pitcher was looking into Nahorodny for the sign, not because he hit less than .240 in 1978. The White Sox eventually traded him to the Braves who years later returned the favor with Flowers.

Flowers is certainly no Posey, but he probably isn't the worst regular catcher in White Sox history.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Karkovice was a first-round draft pick. He was actually a pretty good catcher on some pretty good teams, although not a big offensive threat. The Angels announcers used to talk about him being an Angels killer, and he hit a couple of home runs in games I attended in Anaheim. He never lived up to his offensive promise, though. When he was coming up, he was supposed to replace Fisk behind the plate, sending Fisk to left, but that didn't work out. I recall reading that putting Fisk in left to make room for Karkovice was the idea of GM Ken Harrelson.

Offensively, Flowers is better than Chuck Brinkman, who was simply a very weak hitter but a good defensive catcher after Ed Herrmann left. Brinkman hit one major league home run, surrendered by Rudy May. J.C. Martin was as bad in 1967 as he was an announcer in the 1970s, but pretty much all the hitters on the 1967 White Sox were bad.

I had a friend back in late 1970s who believed Bill Nahorodny was the worst regular catcher in White Sox history. My friend believed that Nahorodny (who the Sox picked up off of waivers from the Phillies organization) was so bad because it was so painful to hear Harry Caray say the White Sox pitcher was looking into Nahorodny for the sign, not because he hit less than .240 in 1978. The White Sox eventually traded him to the Braves who years later returned the favor with Flowers.

Flowers is certainly no Posey, but he probably isn't the worst regular catcher in White Sox history.
I used to love to hear Caray say "Nahaorodny". By the way, I'd take him over Flowers too.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:03 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
When he was coming up, he was supposed to replace Fisk behind the plate, sending Fisk to left, but that didn't work out. I recall reading that putting Fisk in left to make room for Karkovice was the idea of GM Ken Harrelson
Wasn't that Joel Skinner? I thought he was the catcher that Hawk was so enamored with and thought would be a huge star for the Sox.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_the_wolf View Post
Wasn't that Joel Skinner? I thought he was the catcher that Hawk was so enamored with and thought would be a huge star for the Sox.
Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure but didn't Fisk spend some time in the outfield so Skinner could be the catcher. Wasn't that a Hawk as GM brainstorm?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure but didn't Fisk spend some time in the outfield so Skinner could be the catcher. Wasn't that a Hawk as GM brainstorm?
Yes Fisk did spend some time in LF in Hawk's one year reign as GM. I have one better, the Yankees had Yogi Berra in LF for awhile. Google Mazerowski's walk off HR in game 7 of the 1960 WS and you will get a nice video of Yogi watching the ball sail over the wall.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
This is correct. The move was designed to save Fisk's knees and make room for Skinner.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-3, 0.500