White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default SOX Make 3 Roster Moves

Prior to today’s split doubleheader vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox purchased the contract of right-handed pitcher Chris Bassitt from Class AA Birmingham and recalled left-hander Eric Surkamp from Class AAA Charlotte to serve as the 26th man for the doubleheader.

To make room for Bassitt on the 25-man roster, the White Sox optioned right-handed pitcher Scott Carroll to Charlotte following last night’s game.
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

I have a feeling that we might have seen Carroll's last start for the Sox. The club pressed him into service as a 5th starter due to injuries but he is, at best, a long reliever.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I have a feeling that we might have seen Carroll's last start for the Sox. The club pressed him into service as a 5th starter due to injuries but he is, at best, a long reliever.
Lots of talk now of going with a six man rotation in September though, which I think is a great idea just to preserve, just a little bit, Sale and Quintana. Noesi's probably just about out of gas too. Wouldn't surprise me to see Carroll get more starts.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Lots of talk now of going with a six man rotation in September though, which I think is a great idea just to preserve, just a little bit, Sale and Quintana. Noesi's probably just about out of gas too. Wouldn't surprise me to see Carroll get more starts.
I have no problem with this or giving someone else from the minors a few starts. No sense in pushing our guys too hard and adding innings that aren't going to help us. Our September focus should be 1.) Younger guys - seeing what we hav and 2.) Honoring PK. I'm fine if he is getting a chunk of Dunn's ABs and also if he spells Abreu for a game or two.

I wonder if they'll consider Ravelo too. Probably not because of Wilkins, Abreu, PK, and Dunn. I really wish we could just move Dunn even for nothing to the Royals.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's been a long time since we've had such terrible left handed relief over the course of a full season. Surkamp is worse than Downs and Veal -- who were horrible too. I know Thornton was a WSI whipping boy, but what we've been trotting out there this season, makes Thornton look like Billy Wagner.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
It's been a long time since we've had such terrible left handed relief over the course of a full season. Surkamp is worse than Downs and Veal -- who were horrible too. I know Thornton was a WSI whipping boy, but what we've been trotting out there this season, makes Thornton look like Billy Wagner.
It says a lot about the current bullpen's failures that I had forgotten Downs and Veal were even on the team this year.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 2m

Snodgress, Wilkins, Sierra up. Bassitt down. Dunn traded. Not sure you could do more before 11 a.m.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Thornton is in an entirely different class of relievers than most of the guys you mentioned. One of the best left-handed relievers of his era. You need to remember that relievers are volatile as a rule.

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform — and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes
#WhiteSox moves since Sat.: trade De Aza, Dunn, option Bassitt to AAA, activate Sierra off DL, purchase contracts of Wilkins, Snodgress.

Andy Wilkins, who is making his major-league debut today, has hit 30 homers, driven in 85 and batted .293 with an .896 OPS with Class AAA Charlotte in 127 games this season. He leads the International League in homers, extra-base hits (69) and total bases (274), ranks second in RBI and slugging percentage (.558) and is fourth in hits and runs scored.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/201...40831_30788886
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 5m

#WhiteSox arb eligible guys: Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers, Hector Noesi, Ronald Belisario, Nate Jones. Javy Guerra could be a Super-Two.