White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard6king6 View Post
I used to love Elvis night but now it's just getting old, for the last several years my dad and I went I asked him about this year and he said no. They need to have a Beatles night or some other popular band or new festivities. Hoping for a HOF Thomas item as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Good God, yes. Elvis Night is like the last party guest who doesn't know when to leave. The Beatles Night is a natural considering the mop tops played Comiskey Park. How hard is it to hire a good Beatles tribute band and let them play on a re-created stage by second base?
They actually did a Beatles night quite a few years ago..late 90s maybe. I went with my parents, even gave away a t-shirt with a cartoon Beatles playing on the field or something. I should look for that shirt. There was a tribute band that played after the game as well. I've always wondered why they never did it again.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 PM
WSI Personality

They should have added Dubstep Demolition Night.

In-between games everybody stands up, takes out their phone, deletes one dubstep song off of their playlist and then sits back down. It'll all be over in 15 seconds.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
It's not a whinefest- Boyer started off strong with interesting and unique marketing approaches and tactics- but for a number of years- the marketing and promotions strategy has become incredibly stale.

And you're right- it's just my opinion- Mullett Night is probably the "stalest" to me-
I've said it in another thread before, but if Boyer was in the same position of a finely tuned machine/organization, he'd be great. Unfortunately, the Sox are not a finely tuned machine/organization and could use some work.

He's so full of it too. Just go to B&B today and listen to hour one at about 19:00 to see what I'm talking about. He talks about wanting the fans to leave feeling like they've had a great experience. Having been many other places in MLB to watch games, the Sox aren't even close to providing a great experience at the park.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Banned

If any of us had jobs with the track record Brooks Boyer has, we would've been ****canned a long time ago. He flat out sucks at his job and there is no denying it.

I haven't seen a new or original idea from him in nearly a decade. If you want to keep existing and stale promotions, fine. However, come up with something new and original for once.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM
New At WSI

This franchise needed a complete overhaul after last year; not just on the playing field. The game experience has become old and tarnished. Brooks Boyer wouldn't know what to do with a new or clever idea if it hit him in the head.

Mullet Night...again? Elvis Night...again?? Are you freaking kidding me??? It's 2014 for God's sake! Even the Cubs had some new ideas, like their wrestling masks last year.

Why not start by cleaning the rust stains off the scoreboard? Not to mention, what about an improved current model scoreboard? Maybe even some updated uniforms? I'm not saying these changes would turn everything around, but it would be nice to see some inspired moves (for a change) to improve the image of this stagnant team.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Isn't Elvis Night always one of the best attended games of the season? People tend to vote with their feet and it seems to be a popular promotion. That said, I'm all for some new ideas.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsand View Post
Even the Cubs had some new ideas, like their wrestling masks last year.
Not exactly something I envy.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Good God, yes. Elvis Night is like the last party guest who doesn't know when to leave. The Beatles Night is a natural considering the mop tops played Comiskey Park. How hard is it to hire a good Beatles tribute band and let them play on a re-created stage by second base? A Stones Night would be great as well.

Time to kill the Halfway to St. Patrick's Day promo, too.
I'm definitely on board with the Beatles Night idea...it normally doesn't take too much to get me to go to a game, and that's one I'd make sure I was at. I'd love to see American English re-enact the '65 concert. Kinda tired of the Elvis thing.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
If any of us had jobs with the track record Brooks Boyer has, we would've been ****canned a long time ago. He flat out sucks at his job and there is no denying it.

I haven't seen a new or original idea from him in nearly a decade. If you want to keep existing and stale promotions, fine. However, come up with something new and original for once.

I agree. It seems he's just going through the motions. It's not easy to sell a bad team, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I'd appreciate just a little bit of effort coming out of his office

Old 01-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Winner 2014 WSI PTC Contest

Not a whole lot on that promo schedule. I would hope they'll be adding more later.

To ride the marketing rant: I'm still pissed they got rid of the awesome "Pirates" opening montage last year.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Not a whole lot on that promo schedule. I would hope they'll be adding more later.

To ride the marketing rant: I'm still pissed they got rid of the awesome "Pirates" opening montage last year.
I watched the replay of the Opening Ceremony from Soxfest on my DVR. They had a pretty cool video at the beginning, and I have feeling that will be the 2014 video. Just a guess. It is different and better than last year and more along the lines of the Pirates, but not quite the same.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't collect bobbleheads, and don't really care if it is Elvis Night or Polish Night when I go to games as I really just care about the game. But I do understand a lot of people are really into these things, and I find nothing wrong with that. One question I have though, why is it Elvis Night, Mullet Night...are all stale, Boyer needs new ideas, are on one hand, and on the other hand Boyer has a new idea with the video intro, and considering it gets played 81 times a year, it has to be at least as stale as a once a year promotion, and he gets ripped for changing that? Just like the patch on the sleeve. It seems to me he can't win. If he changes something, it should never be changed, but if he doesn't change some things, he is considered horrible at his job. I do know one promotion last year was those 1983 bomber hats that went over well. I see a lot of those in use these days.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan View Post
I agree. It seems he's just going through the motions. It's not easy to sell a bad team, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I'd appreciate just a little bit of effort coming out of his office
In MLB, you're not selling the team though. The team will mostly sell itself with the play on the field. Instead, you have to sell the experience at the park, giveaways, individual players/guests, etc. And for years, the Sox have been dreadful in coming up with new/fresh/creative ideas in those departments.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
I don't collect bobbleheads, and don't really care if it is Elvis Night or Polish Night when I go to games as I really just care about the game. But I do understand a lot of people are really into these things, and I find nothing wrong with that. One question I have though, why is it Elvis Night, Mullet Night...are all stale, Boyer needs new ideas, are on one hand, and on the other hand Boyer has a new idea with the video intro, and considering it gets played 81 times a year, it has to be at least as stale as a once a year promotion, and he gets ripped for changing that? Just like the patch on the sleeve. It seems to me he can't win. If he changes something, it should never be changed, but if he doesn't change some things, he is considered horrible at his job. I do know one promotion last year was those 1983 bomber hats that went over well. I see a lot of those in use these days.
Well, that's quite the hyperbolic generalization. You're equating gameday promotions and in-house entertainment with the Sox uniforms. OK.

Basically, the Sox had crappy uniforms for about 30 years and were the laughing stock of baseball because of it. In baseball, the team's identity is associated with the uniform, and the really classic franchises through major league history have maintained the same uniforms, generally (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Tigers). It's symbolic. Baseball is about tradition.

Promotions come and go. Major league teams spend millions of dollars on marketing departments and advertising. To keep the same promotions every year shows a lack of effort. Mullet Night is just a completely horrible idea to begin with because it is based off a stereotype. To have this promotion for like ten years in a row shows an incredible amount of laziness and lack of effort. But, notwithstanding that, it seems most people are generally concerned about the lack of fresh ideas coming out of the office.

I won't pick apart everything. I don't think the uniforms should be jacked with at all. I like Elvis Night and Halfway to St. Pat's. I like bobbleheads. I think Dog Day and Mullet Night are tired ideas that should be scrapped.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM
WSI Regular

I agree. It seems like Brooks digs up the same ole' Word document each year on his computer, changes the dates, and submits it for approval. You would think especially after last year, they'd try some fresh ideas. How hard is it to brainstorm?

How 'bout:

Carnival weekend...hire some carny outfit to bring in rides for the kids. Set it up in the parking lot and sell discounted fair food, carny games with Sox prizes, etc.

Space Exploration Day...play spaced themed movie clips and games between innings, hire former astronauts to sign autos and take pics. No offense, but my son would rather meet an astronaut than Ron Kittle.

Olympics Day...same idea as above. One of my son's favorite pictures, is of him holding an Olympic Gold medal, after meeting Matt Grevers.

There, that took 30 seconds of thought. Are they feasible? Who knows? But damn, try something different.