White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Sox_Summer View Post
Did you go to SoxFest last year ('13)? The only seminar that was packed was the '05 guys with Hawk. The lines for all of those guys autographs were full right away. Even this year for Jenks. The attention for those ex-players is huge. So yes, I do think that them being at a game Sunday signing for the kids would be a draw.

No promotion(s) will lead to a string of sellouts. Also, if the team is 15 games back by June, no promotion is gonna bring them in. So you have to hope that the team you put on the field will sell on it's own. The extra stuff might attract some fringe folk, especially to games that people don't normally go to.

If they compete this year for the division, some of our new guys make a statement on the field, the team finds a voice, it will carry over to next year. Leave the ticket prices the same, promote the heck out of the 10 year for '05 that might bring a bunch of folks back. Just little things, like maybe take a picture with the trophy for a $5 donation to Sox Charity. They have been building up the ball park experience, just keep it going. Not to mention all the '05 merch they can sell.

As a Fighting Illini fan, '05 was a big year for basketball too. Even a Dee Brown bobblehead would bring some people in, I think. Maybe an '05 reunion of that team too. Bulls made the playoffs that year again for the first time since '98. New opening video. Remind people of that season.

I don't think it's an exact science and a bunch of it depends on how well the team does. The Sox don't have the benefit of a Wrigleyville to distract and attract fans. So they have to win. Maybe start their own "MLB's Largest Tailgate" section in the parking lot.

I've been wrong plenty, I just hope they understand the enormous power that is '05 and harness that to sell some tickets. I think the right marketing campaign could easily win some fans back if the team is halfway decent.
No, I didn't go to Soxfest, and maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect people that go to Soxfest aren't the same as people who go to games.

As for "all the '05 merch" they can sell, again, I dunno. It's the same logo, so right there it loses the whole retro thing. They'll sell some things I'm sure, but I don't recall seeing a ton of Bears Super Bowl Anniversary stuff or Bulls NBA Championship stuff. I mean, there's some, but it's not like 75% of fans are going to run out and buy a t-shirt reminding them of something that happened 10 years ago.

There's also the fact that if they push it too hard, there's going to be a group of people who just use it as an excuse to complain about how little the team has done since.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, 2005 was amazing and I'd love if they really push it and it really does something big, I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I don't think it's an exact science and a bunch of it depends on how well the team does. The Sox don't have the benefit of a Wrigleyville to distract and attract fans. So they have to win. Maybe start their own "MLB's Largest Tailgate" section in the parking lot.
They already do

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
They already do

Pretty sure I am in that picture.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
No, I didn't go to Soxfest, and maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect people that go to Soxfest aren't the same as people who go to games.

As for "all the '05 merch" they can sell, again, I dunno. It's the same logo, so right there it loses the whole retro thing. They'll sell some things I'm sure, but I don't recall seeing a ton of Bears Super Bowl Anniversary stuff or Bulls NBA Championship stuff. I mean, there's some, but it's not like 75% of fans are going to run out and buy a t-shirt reminding them of something that happened 10 years ago.

There's also the fact that if they push it too hard, there's going to be a group of people who just use it as an excuse to complain about how little the team has done since.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, 2005 was amazing and I'd love if they really push it and it really does something big, I just don't see it happening.
People are gonna complain regardless.

I've only been to SoxFest twice, both times I have met several people that attended multiple games during the season. Regardless, we are trying to attract people that don't go to games. Just a question - who do you think goes to SoxFest? I'm curious. As a partial season guy, I get passes from my rep.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's all very dependent on how good we do this year. No promotion can replace winning games when it comes to attendance.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
People are gonna complain regardless.

I've only been to SoxFest twice, both times I have met several people that attended multiple games during the season. Regardless, we are trying to attract people that don't go to games. Just a question - who do you think goes to SoxFest? I'm curious. As a partial season guy, I get passes from my rep.
I think (especially since they moved it away from the Hyatt and jacked the prices way up) that only pretty hardcore fans go to SoxFest - you're not going to spend that much money unless you're really into the team, in which case you probably already go to a bunch of games (or you're getting the passes free for having season tickets, but, again, that pretty much means they've already gotten you).

Pretty much the same thing goes for people who post at WSI - if you post here, you clearly care a lot about the team, which is great, but it means you're not really what the team needs to be marketing to. If they can get each of us to go to an extra game or two, that's not a BAD thing, but what they really need to do is get NEW people to come to a bunch of games and I'm not sure Bobby Jenks or Scott Podsednik or a bobblehead will do it.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I think (especially since they moved it away from the Hyatt and jacked the prices way up) that only pretty hardcore fans go to SoxFest - you're not going to spend that much money unless you're really into the team, in which case you probably already go to a bunch of games (or you're getting the passes free for having season tickets, but, again, that pretty much means they've already gotten you).

Pretty much the same thing goes for people who post at WSI - if you post here, you clearly care a lot about the team, which is great, but it means you're not really what the team needs to be marketing to. If they can get each of us to go to an extra game or two, that's not a BAD thing, but what they really need to do is get NEW people to come to a bunch of games and I'm not sure Bobby Jenks or Scott Podsednik or a bobblehead will do it.
Ok, maybe you wrote that wrong but what you said above is- "I suspect people that go to Soxfest aren't the same as people who go to games". Now you say they go all the time. Ha, it is just confusing to me. No worries. They are going back to the Hyatt next year, don't think they will lower prices though.

I agree that the hardcore folks don't need to be wooed. However, I think that if you watched '05 and started going to more games in '06, a few '05 based promotions will bring ya back a couple of more times. The hardcore folks are gonna go regardless, so no you don't have to cater to them but the promos should be something that does well with all the fans. I think anyone at a Sox game would like something '05 themed.

I think the biggest thing that attracts the new fan is ticket prices. What needs to be figured out is how to get the word out to the fans that you can go to a game for $7. Or $15. Or $5. I think many people would be shocked to learn that. When I talk about it, even fans didn't know they had those cheap seats. More than likely you will get some people that will upgrade their seats, but you got them in the door! It also depends on how decent the team is. If they start strong, more people will get excited, and after the winter we had (or having) people are gonna be itching to get outside.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ok, maybe you wrote that wrong but what you said above is- "I suspect people that go to Soxfest aren't the same as people who go to games". Now you say they go all the time. Ha, it is just confusing to me. No worries. They are going back to the Hyatt next year, don't think they will lower prices though.
Yeah, sorry, I was confusing - what I mean is "the demographics of people who go to SoxFest aren't the same as the demographics of all people that go to games". Like, people at SoxFest (and people here, for that matter) aren't just a randomly selected group of people who go to games, they're generally much more committed. So, just because something goes over really well at SoxFest, it doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to go over as well among less hardcore fans at the actual games. I think things go the other way, too - I suspect the 83 uniforms are probably more popular among the fanbase as a whole than they are with the SoxFest/WSI fanbase.

As for SoxFest, it's actually moving to the Hilton Chicago, but, yes, I'm sure it won't get any cheaper.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM
WSI Regular

They just added a Frank Thomas replica HoF plaque for the Aug. 2 game against Minnesota
Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Sat August 16th is Frank Thomas Bobblehead Day sponsored by Comcast Sports Net
Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
WSI Regular

Someone didn't think things through for last night's game. Making the sports follies rounds today.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/white-...quences-on-tv/

Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keloms View Post
Someone didn't think things through for last night's game. Making the sports follies rounds today.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/white-...quences-on-tv/

Funny, I thought the same thing as I was watching. A rally, not the baseball-kind.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

"Free T-Shirt Mondays" is a new ballpark promotion for the first 20,000 fans who enter U.S. Cellular Field for Monday games.

Adam Eaton-themed t-shirt on July 21, when the White Sox face Kansas City at 7:10 p.m.

Jose Abreu on August 4 vs. Texas
Chris Sale on August 18 vs. Baltimore
Paul Konerko on September 8 vs. Oakland

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...r_cws&c_id=cws
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Also this Monday is Christmas in July. Hope I'm not the only one excited to go to that.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory will have a special traveling exhibit on display at U.S. Cellular Field from August 18-20.
100 Level concourse near the Scoreboard Gift Shop, and Section 157 to see bats being made by hand.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...r_cws&c_id=cws
Old 08-31-2014, 11:59 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 1m

.@Joba_44 snuck his way into the #FamilySunday Chris Sale autograph line today. And yes, Chris signed the ball.