White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
A lot of people do, mainly older people. Actually the same age of people that watch tv news here. These people arent going on the computer to watch the news though.
Bingo. I don't think i'd spend much time myself watching local Chicago news if I permanently moved out of state, but my parents watch it all the time.

It sounds like they're still going to be airing the noon newscast on WGN America. So that might work for ex-Chicagoans who still watch the news on WGN - especially if they have DVRs
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm one old guy who has been in Florida over 20 years and since we moved here have never watched WGN news at 9pm.
A couple times a week I check out the Tribune's App on my I Pad if I'm curious about what's happening up there, besides that I talk to my sister every Sunday and she always lets me know what's going on. As far as not caring about the place where one lived at one time, it's hard to make a complete break. I spent the first 48 years of my life in Chicago and it will always be my hometown and the White Sox and Blackhawks will always be my teams.
Maybe Im in touch with the less active old codgers, actually the ones that watch hrtv, tvg, wgn news and then hit the hay then go for another day of the same.
btw: Hope you had a good one and many more to come.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

It is a shame that they stopped showing the news (I used to sometimes watch it myself when I was out of town for a while), but it was really just a strange quirk of broadcasting that Chicagoans even had the option, nobody from any other city even has the choice of watching their news on tv.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

I grew up in/around Chicago and didn't move out of the midwest until I was in my 40s so old habits are hard to break.

Plus, my local news (Tampa) comes on after the WGN News at 9 (which is at 10PM Eastern) so I got to watch both if I wanted to.

As mentioned on my first post, it was a daily reminder of the home town I group up in and it was nice considering there were no other big city local news broadcasts so it was unique.

I can understand the change in direction. For every guy like me who enjoyed the broadcast, there were probably about 99 other guys from other parts of the country who could care less. Plus it was fun guessing what kind of suit & tie combo Robert Jordan was going to wear. He has a wild wardrobe and there were nights for some reason, he could not read the teleprompter and Jackie Bang had to correct him.

Plus I will miss Dan Rohn's snide comments about the White Sox as he tries to hide his biased, Cub-loving opinions.

But living near the Tampa market, I get to enjoy Love Smith Mach II this upcoming football season. I was so p!ssed off when the Bears-Bucs game was played in Europe a few years ago. The Bears only make it down here as the visiting team about once every 3-4 seasons and that was the game.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
I was so p!ssed off when the Bears-Bucs game was played in Europe a few years ago. The Bears only make it down here as the visiting team about once every 3-4 seasons and that was the game.
Yeah, unfortunately Tampa sports fans are terrible.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The news is streamed live online, but I honestly cannot figure out why someone who willingly moves from one place would still want to watch their local news anyway.
Lots of reasons.

1. You lived there a long time, or all or most of your life if younger.
2. You have lots of close friends and family who still live there. You talk to them often, so you like to know what's up.
3. You visit often and/or have extended stays in your old home town.
4. You "willingly" moved to your new place because your work required it, for family reasons, etc., not because you no longer love your hometown.
5. You are loyal-to-fanatic about your home town teams.
6. In your new town (also a big city), you know quite a few people who also came from your home town. Items 1,2, 3, 4 and/or 5 apply to them in varying degrees as well.
7. You love Chicago.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Tampa sports fans are terrible.
I agree. They're pretty loyal to the Lightening but the Rays and Bucs fans are pretty finicky. I attend more Rays games each season than the average Rays fan just because I like to watch MLB. I usually make most, if not all, of the SOX games and then I pick about 10-15 other games throughout the season.

As to the Bucs, it's an embarrassment to the franchise that they can't sell out games on a 70 degree beautiful day when teams like the Bears, Packers, Giants, Patriots and Bills can sell out during a freezing snowstorm.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I grew up in/around Chicago and didn't move out of the midwest until I was in my 40s so old habits are hard to break.

Plus, my local news (Tampa) comes on after the WGN News at 9 (which is at 10PM Eastern) so I got to watch both if I wanted to.

As mentioned on my first post, it was a daily reminder of the home town I group up in and it was nice considering there were no other big city local news broadcasts so it was unique.

I can understand the change in direction. For every guy like me who enjoyed the broadcast, there were probably about 99 other guys from other parts of the country who could care less. Plus it was fun guessing what kind of suit & tie combo Robert Jordan was going to wear. He has a wild wardrobe and there were nights for some reason, he could not read the teleprompter and Jackie Bang had to correct him.

Plus I will miss Dan Rohn's snide comments about the White Sox as he tries to hide his biased, Cub-loving opinions.

But living near the Tampa market, I get to enjoy Love Smith Mach II this upcoming football season. I was so p!ssed off when the Bears-Bucs game was played in Europe a few years ago. The Bears only make it down here as the visiting team about once every 3-4 seasons and that was the game.
To be honest, I never felt that Roan's sports coverage was anti-Sox or pro-Cubs.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
To be honest, I never felt that Roan's sports coverage was anti-Sox or pro-Cubs.
Funny, because I think he's been pretty obvious about it over the years. I especially noticed it during the 2005 season but a large part of it was the apparent cold feelings with Ozzie. The WS clinching post-game celebration is one obvious example as he really didn't share the same enthusiasm that Cory McPherson and other local sports announcers had.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Lots of reasons.

1. You lived there a long time, or all or most of your life if younger.
2. You have lots of close friends and family who still live there. You talk to them often, so you like to know what's up.
3. You visit often and/or have extended stays in your old home town.
4. You "willingly" moved to your new place because your work required it, for family reasons, etc., not because you no longer love your hometown.
5. You are loyal-to-fanatic about your home town teams.
6. In your new town (also a big city), you know quite a few people who also came from your home town. Items 1,2, 3, 4 and/or 5 apply to them in varying degrees as well.
7. You love Chicago.
Yep- not really a very hard concept to grasp.

I grew up in Chicago- but then lived in different places for work (Ann Arbor, Milwaukee, Richmond, San Francisco)- I liked having access to Channel 9 news, always bought a Tribune when I could in Ann Arbor & Milwaukee, liked picking up AM 670 at night, etc.

Not quite as big of a deal with the internet-but if I still lived away from Chicago- I'd probably record the Channel 9 news on my DVR-
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-14-2014, 02:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I agree. They're pretty loyal to the Lightening but the Rays and Bucs fans are pretty finicky. I attend more Rays games each season than the average Rays fan just because I like to watch MLB. I usually make most, if not all, of the SOX games and then I pick about 10-15 other games throughout the season.

As to the Bucs, it's an embarrassment to the franchise that they can't sell out games on a 70 degree beautiful day when teams like the Bears, Packers, Giants, Patriots and Bills can sell out during a freezing snowstorm.
I'm not sure Sox fans should be judging fans by their attendance. Attending sporting events is pretty expensive, especially NFL. And Tampa's economy isn't so great. I think a lot of people just don't have the disposable income.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
I'm not sure Sox fans should be judging fans by their attendance. Attending sporting events is pretty expensive, especially NFL. And Tampa's economy isn't so great. I think a lot of people just don't have the disposable income.
I agree, but if the SOX played as well as the Rays have over the past five seasons, I think they would draw more than 17,000 fans per game. The Rays play in arguably the worst ball park (dome) in MLB and in probably one of the worst locations from a demographic standpoint.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 AM
WSI Regular

Thank you for the information!

I'll live without the news, which I enjoyed. But I was hoping to still see the Sox and Bulls games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Just wanted to provide some information on this. I contacted Dan Roan and he told me that unfortunately it's true, WGN will no longer be showing "The 9 O' Clock News" nationally.

He said WGN America is going to "go off into original programming." (Don't know what type shows he's talking about...)

However from a sports standpoint he said nothing has changed regarding programming nationally for the Sox, Cubs or Bulls.

Lip
Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw8052 View Post
With the loss of WGN News at Nine on the WGN Superstation, will this also kill seeing the Sox games that WGN airs? I sure hope not as we already cannot see most of the WCIU games out here in Sterling/Rock Falls.
I have Comcast here in LaSalle/Peru so I can see every game whether it's on WGN, WCIU, or CSN Chicago.
Having lived in Moline, I feel your pain. The local newscasts often didn't even bother to show Sox highlights.