Soxogram: 
WOOT! BASEBALL! GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2016, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Sox Swoons-A Brief History

For those who also post on WSI's Facebook page, I posted this yesterday. It is a brief, by no means comprehensive history of past Sox teams that have built up a good record (as well as the faith and hope of the fans) only to collapse and go into a freefall that dashed all hopes of the team winning anything that year. This doesn't include "near miss" years like 1955, 1964, 1967, etc. These are years that the team did what I just wrote-build up a good head of steam, crash and burn. This is slightly altered from my Facebook post:

Swooning Sox

Anybody familiar with White Sox history knows that this isn't the first season that the team has piled up a bunch of wins, whether through smoke and mirrors or the pieces the team does have clicking all at once, only to catch nosedive fever and collapse into a quivering mass of mediocre, .500 or lower contender fodder. It has happened many a time throughout the team's history. Most don't know of Sox swoons because they never caused the literary lights of Chicago's media to moan, groan, visit the Wailing Wall, cry out to the Lord from out of the depths, or use the purplest of purple prose to existentially angst over the team's and fans' place in the cosmos and the Deeper Meaning of It All. No, when the Sox swoon they yawn while Paul Sullivan counts the empty seats and demands to know why more fans aren't coming out to witness the carnage. Mind you, I write this with the full knowledge that it is only June and the Sox may yet pull a rabbit (or a left-handed bat) out of a hat. The season is not over, although their chances right now of going on another run seem pretty bleak.
Here now are a few Sox Swoons from the far and near past:

The peak: June 6 31-17, 1 game behind the Yankees
The swoon: Sox swept in a series in New York (NY is down 11-6 in 9th inning of game two, rallied to tie, won in extras)
The rest of the way: 39-66 to finish 70-83, 5th place 39 1/2 games back

The peak July 31 51-37, 3 games behind the Tigers
The swoon: Sox go 2-14-1 over their next 17 games to commence the collapse.
The rest of the way: 23-41 to finish 74-78, 5th place 19 1/2 games behind Detroit

The peak May 31 27-15 3 games in front of the Twins
The swoon: Sox go 5-12 over next 17. This team did have an excuse, as a strong lineup was blown apart by injuries. The worst happened when Dick Allen was lost for the season on June 28. However the team was 37-32 at the time (10-17 since their peak) and already in a tailspin.
The rest of the way: 50-70 to finish 77-85, 5th place, 17 games behind Oakland

The peak: August 11 65-45 1 game behind the Twins
The swoon: The wheels fall completely off as team goes 2-15 in its next 17
The rest of the way: 22-30 to finish 87-75, 8 games behind the Twins
Who can forget this season? Wilson Alvarez fires no-hitter in his second major league start. The next night, Sox lose in dramatic fashion on a game-winning home run by Leo Gomez to commence the collapse

The peak: May 25 28-21 1 game ahead of Minnesota
The swoon: Sox reel off a seven game losing streak to drop to .500
The rest of the way: 53-60 to finish a hum drum 81-81, 13 1/2 games behind those damned Twinks

The peak: July 24 52-42 1/2 ahead of the Twins
The swoon: 9-21 record over their next 30 games
The rest of the way: 31-37 to settle into another ho hum record, 83-79 13 1/2 games behind you-know-who

These are just a few examples, there are more. So what is the point of my writing this? I don't know. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for little old me. *Moan* *Groan* Why, God, why? Out of the depths I cry unto You, O Lord. Hear my prayer. It takes the greatest fortitude to be a fan when this team teasingly builds you up, then cruelly dashes your hopes by dive bombing with all the speed and fervor of a kamikaze pilot zeroing in on a battleship for Emperor and country. What is our place in the Universe? What is the Meaning of It All? Does life as a Sox fan truly have any meaning? Or is it all a giant practical joke perpetrated by God or whatever force is out there guiding all that happens in the Great Unknown? Or is it all just random chaos? Oh, woe is me.

Last edited by TommyJohn; 06-10-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

The 2004 swoon was at least explainable with the 5th starter issue and the 3/4 bats in the line-up (Frank and Maggs) both suffering season ending injuries. No team would recover from losing its 2 best bats for the season.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

You know, Dr. Emmett L. Brown once said: "Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one."

2016 still has an unwritten future. I hope this season evades your list.
I loved the game. I'd have played for free and worked for food. It was the game, the parks, the smells, the sounds. Have you ever held a bat or a baseball to your face? The varnish, the leather. And it was the crowd, the excitement of them rising as one when the ball was hit deep. It makes me tingle all over like a kid on his way to his first double-header, just to talk about it. - Shoeless Joe Jackson
Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Joe View Post
You know, Dr. Emmett L. Brown once said: "Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one."

2016 still has an unwritten future. I hope this season evades your list.
I like your attitude. I hope the same, that they pull out of this and right the ship.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Don't forget 2012. They went from 3 games up with only 15 games to go to 3 games out to finish the season. The only team in the last 6 years that wasn't "unwatchable" for the fans and they totally choked at the end.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 PM
WSI Guru

The 73 Sox had a real excuse. They used the DL 38 times that season. And with Stu Holcomb ordering Roland Hemond to release any player that didn't take his salary offer they had ZERO depth to replace the guys who were hurt.

Hemond and Tanner went to owner John Allyn and said 'it's him or us' and Allyn went to Boston and relieved Holcomb...but it was to little to late.

The Sox released Johnstone, Speizio, Reichardt and Andrews.

The final straw for Hemond was when Holcomb ordered him to waive 21 game winner Stan Bahnsen. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 06-09-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

2006 comes to mind. Started 56-29, then promptly lost 12 of 15 en route to one of the most disappointing 90-win seasons in recent memory.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Nice archeological work there Professor. Nothing like looking over the old bones for hatchet and arrowhead marks for the causes of demise of the species. As I alluded to in another post most of those you noted had to do with the Philadelphia A's or those hapless Washinton Nationals/Senators retreads.... I'll give them a pass on Murderers Row, nobody was gonna catch them...

BK59
Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Nice archeological work there Professor. Nothing like looking over the old bones for hatchet and arrowhead marks for the causes of demise of the species. As I alluded to in another post most of those you noted had to do with the Philadelphia A's or those hapless Washinton Nationals/Senators retreads.... I'll give them a pass on Murderers Row, nobody was gonna catch them...

BK59

True about the 1927 Yankees. Reverse the Sox's record that year after their 31-17 start to 66-39 and it comes to 97-56, which would still leave them 13 games behind the Yankees.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yep, with that 295 ft porch in RF even my beer league softball team wasn't gonna catch them. Babe and the boys had 75 sure things penciled in at the house that he built.

BK59
Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
For those who also post on WSI's Facebook page, I posted this yesterday. It is a brief, by no means comprehensive history of past Sox teams that have built up a good record (as well as the faith and hope of the fans) only to collapse and go into a freefall that dashed all hopes of the team winning anything that year. This doesn't include "near miss" years like 1955, 1964, 1967, etc. These are years that the team did what I just wrote-build up a good head of steam, crash and burn. This is slightly altered from my Facebook post:

Swooning Sox

Anybody familiar with White Sox history knows that this isn't the first season that the team has piled up a bunch of wins, whether through smoke and mirrors or the pieces the team does have clicking all at once, only to catch nosedive fever and collapse into a quivering mass of mediocre, .500 or lower contender fodder. It has happened many a time throughout the team's history. Most don't know of Sox swoons because they never caused the literary lights of Chicago's media to moan, groan, visit the Wailing Wall, cry out to the Lord from out of the depths, or use the purplest of purple prose to existentially angst over the team's and fans' place in the cosmos and the Deeper Meaning of It All. No, when the Sox swoon they yawn while Paul Sullivan counts the empty seats and demands to know why more fans aren't coming out to witness the carnage. Mind you, I write this with the full knowledge that it is only June and the Sox may yet pull a rabbit (or a left-handed bat) out of a hat. The season is not over, although their chances right now of going on another run seem pretty bleak.
Here now are a few Sox Swoons from the far and near past:

The peak: June 6 31-17, 1 game behind the Yankees
The swoon: Sox swept in a series in New York (NY is down 11-6 in 9th inning of game two, rallied to tie, won in extras)
The rest of the way: 39-66 to finish 70-83, 5th place 39 1/2 games back

The peak July 31 51-37, 3 games behind the Tigers
The swoon: Sox go 2-14-1 over their next 17 games to commence the collapse.
The rest of the way: 23-41 to finish 74-78, 5th place 19 1/2 games behind Detroit

The peak May 31 27-15 3 games in front of the Twins
The swoon: Sox go 5-12 over next 17. This team did have an excuse, as a strong lineup was blown apart by injuries. The worst happened when Dick Allen was lost for the season on June 28. However the team was 37-32 at the time (10-17 since their peak) and already in a tailspin.
The rest of the way: 50-70 to finish 77-85, 5th place, 17 games behind Oakland

The peak: August 11 65-45 1 game behind the Twins
The swoon: The wheels fall completely off as team goes 2-15 in its next 17
The rest of the way: 22-30 to finish 87-75, 8 games behind the Twins
Who can forget this season? Wilson Alvarez fires no-hitter in his second major league start. The next night, Sox lose in dramatic fashion on a game-winning home run by Leo Gomez to commence the collapse

The peak: May 25 28-21 1 game ahead of Minnesota
The swoon: Sox reel off a seven game losing streak to drop to .500
The rest of the way: 53-60 to finish a hum drum 81-81, 13 1/2 games behind those damned Twinks

The peak: July 24 52-42 1/2 ahead of the Twins
The swoon: 9-21 record over their next 30 games
The rest of the way: 31-37 to settle into another ho hum record, 83-79 13 1/2 games behind you-know-who

These are just a few examples, there are more. So what is the point of my writing this? I don't know. I guess I'm just feeling sorry for little old me. *Moan* *Groan* Why, God, why? Out of the depths I cry unto You, O Lord. Hear my prayer. It takes the greatest fortitude to be a fan when this team teasingly builds you up, then cruelly dashes your hopes by dive bombing with all the speed and fervor of a kamikaze pilot zeroing in on a battleship for Emperor and country. What is our place in the Universe? What is the Meaning of It All? Does life as a Sox fan truly have any meaning? Or is it all a giant practical joke perpetrated by God or whatever force is out there guiding all that happens in the Great Unknown? Or is it all just random chaos? Oh, woe is me.

Very well done, I appreciate your effort.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

As long as Ventura is with the Sox, they won't make the playoffs and they will continue to have good players struggle. I've been watching the Sox regularly since 1981 and I can say without a doubt that Ventura is the problem and he needs to go. He was bad his first year and nothing has changed.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Banned

The 1927 Yankees were the GOAT. No Sox team of any year (or any other ballclub for that matter) would have beaten them. I can't call that a swoon.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:12 PM
WSI Regular

Great history lesson from Tommy John. I would add 1977, although ultimately the Sox were beaten out by a more talented team from Kansas City. But oh the thrills they gave us Sox fans during that magical summer.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 PM
WSI Guru

Originally written in 2003. It's along the lines of what TJ wrote but factors in "expectations."

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/r...gory=2&id=2192

Lip