White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

The problem that everyone hates is that is Flowers. The pitching staff has always said they like throwing to him, and he has a really solid Catcher ERA over his career. He doesn't throw as well as we hoped, but Josh is nothing at all behind the plate, below average major league defender.

I would not be shocked if we opened up with Nieto and Flowers and Phegley is back to AAA and never comes back.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I would not be shocked if we opened up with Nieto and Flowers and Phegley is back to AAA and never comes back.
That is what I expect to happen, as well.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Nieto would be lost if he doesnt make big league club, Phegley has an option, this is the way it will play out.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
He can hit 220 as long as he plays plus D for all I care. I just want whoever our best defender is starting behind the dish at this point, because I expect little to nothing offensively from all of the candidates.
I agree.
The price on catchers who can hit and defend is so high, it's not wise to use a ton of resources to get one at this point.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Nieto would be lost if he doesnt make big league club, Phegley has an option, this is the way it will play out.
Nieto was also playing in A ball last year in his 5th professional season. I would think he'd have to be an extreme long shot at best.

Last edited by TheVulture; 02-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
He can hit 220 as long as he plays plus D for all I care. I just want whoever our best defender is starting behind the dish at this point, because I expect little to nothing offensively from all of the candidates.
Yeah, but who can hit .220 and play plus D? That would be a major step up for any of the candidates. So far we have seen .195 and poor defense.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Nieto was also playing in A ball last year in his 5th professional season. I would think he'd have to be an extreme long shot at best.
Yeah, but as a Rule V draftee, the Sox have to keep him on the Major League roster or lose the fee they paid for him. Not sure why the Sox would have taken him if they had no intention of at least giving him a chance.

Also, if Nieto does make the roster, he would be the 2nd guy in the last 3 years to make the Show with the Sox after never appearing above A ball in his first 5 pro seasons...

Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

For a guy like Nieto- you can nurse him along as a back up- very selective match ups, etc.- I assume if you get through the first year (Rule V)- then you can do what you need to after that.

As far as Flowers goes- the passed balls and dropping throws on plays at the plate was what surprised me the most in his dissappointing 2013- if he COULD play solid defense- then I'd take a .220 batting average with the homers that will come along with it- but of all the areas of the White Sox where I have "spring training optimism"- catching is not one of them.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-16-2014, 03:10 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
For a guy like Nieto- you can nurse him along as a back up- very selective match ups, etc.- I assume if you get through the first year (Rule V)- then you can do what you need to after that.
Yes, he just has to stay on the MLB roster for this season
Old 02-16-2014, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but as a Rule V draftee, the Sox have to keep him on the Major League roster or lose the fee they paid for him. Not sure why the Sox would have taken him if they had no intention of at least giving him a chance.
So they'd lose 25 grand...that's like buying a scratch off ticket to a MLB team.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
So they'd lose 25 grand...that's like buying a scratch off ticket to a MLB team.
But then why even do it? The Sox have shown that they're willing to eat the cash if after a while the guy proves he's a bust, but I just can't figure out why they'd waste the time and money if they're not even going to try. Come on man, he's arguably the 25th man on the 5th worst team in baseball, he's this isn't Game 7 of the World Series.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
But then why even do it? The Sox have shown that they're willing to eat the cash if after a while the guy proves he's a bust, but I just can't figure out why they'd waste the time and money if they're not even going to try. Come on man, he's arguably the 25th man on the 5th worst team in baseball, he's this isn't Game 7 of the World Series.
Depth move, provide a little competition and motivation to the catchers who have actually made it past A ball all the way to the majors. That's why I called it a long shot, not a no shot. No way he's the 25th man at this point.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Depth move, provide a little competition and motivation to the catchers who have actually made it past A ball all the way to the majors. That's why I called it a long shot, not a no shot. No way he's the 25th man at this point.
If they like what they see in spring training, they can work out a trade with the Nats, and send Nieto to the minors. I am hoping what we saw with flowers, especialy behind the plate, had something to do with his shoulder injury.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Now all we need is spring-like weather.
I spent the weekend in Phoenix, and it was in the 80s under bright sunshine. By Chicago standards, that's summer weather.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I spent the weekend in Phoenix, and it was in the 80s under bright sunshine. By Chicago standards, that's summer weather.
It would be bitching weather. Bitching that it's too hot.