White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM
ChicagoG19 ChicagoG19 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Armour Square
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I wonder if this is a generational thing. I was born in 1986 and have loved the 83 unis from the moment I first saw them. Most people I know my age also think those are among the best uniforms the Sox have ever worn.

On the contrary, I think the red pinstripe unis are inexplicable. Why would the WHITE Sox wear those jerseys when there is another different team called the RED Sox? Never made sense to me.
I was born in 1986 as well and I completely agree with this post.
__________________
2014 Sox Attendance Record - 2 - 5.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM
FoulTerritory FoulTerritory is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Doesn't this go against the whole excuse Brooks Boyer gave a couple of years ago with removing the diamond sock patch and keeping the branding of the team consistent?
I had actually thought about this exact same thing. Doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 12,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Screw it, let's just pull every uniform scheme the Sox have had over the past 113 years and put them in regular rotation. Imagine all the extra merchandise sales! And nobody's going to stop going to games because of it, so what's the downside?

I'm being facetious, but only partly. Seriously, if we're going to do away with consistent branding a little, then **** it, let's go full bore.
I must warn you, some Sox staff does read this board. Don't give them any ideas, they are dumb enough to run with it.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
beasly213 beasly213 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orland Park
Posts: 4,228
Default

The Sox should just do what this minor league team is doing. I'd be down.


http://nesn.com/2014/03/fresno-grizz...-season-photo/

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
SpringfldFan SpringfldFan is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 318
Default

I loved the '83 uniforms when they came out, but then I was into the "Astro" look and was thinking anything would be better than the pajama uniforms. Then is then and now is now, though. For some reason too, the throwbacks just don't look as good as the originals. Maybe its the bagginess, the belt loops, or the shoetop length pants. This version just don't seem to wear as well. Thinking back to the pajama style uniform, what about a version of those but with tucked in buttoned shirts, belts, and no collars? How do you think that would look?

SFF
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfldFan View Post
Thinking back to the pajama style uniform, what about a version of those but with tucked in buttoned shirts, belts, and no collars? How do you think that would look?SFF
Like this?

Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,233
Default

Spring training thread - 2 pages
Alternate uniform thread - 7 pages

Good job, fellas.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Spring training thread - 2 pages
Alternate uniform thread - 7 pages

Good job, fellas.
Just following Don Cooper's lead.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Default

Is it the style that is appealing or is it the color scheme? For me its the color scheme. Id actually like to see the current style minus pinstripes with the 83 color scheme and piping. And have the current unis be the sunday alternate .
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 AM
MUsoxfan MUsoxfan is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Romeoville, IL
Posts: 9,961
Default

'83 uniform is cool but I'd like to see more of the 1990 uniform. I think it's the most underrated. It's also totally overlooked on the Sox' own uniform history web page
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
Is it the style that is appealing or is it the color scheme? For me its the color scheme. Id actually like to see the current style minus pinstripes with the 83 color scheme and piping. And have the current unis be the sunday alternate .
This is probably one of the best ideas I've read in a long time. Some nice "home whites" used only for Sundays that keep the current, Old English logo, but add the navy/red 83' color scheme. All white uniforms with the navy/red piping on the pants and jerseys plus navy caps with red bills would look great IMO. This would offer the SOX marketing the alternative color option they want to drive merchandise sales while not replicating the actual design of the 83 uniforms which IMO look horrible dated based on today's uniform styles. What worked in 1983 does not work today with belt loops, baggy long pants and not stirrups.

Hello Brooks...
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
anewman35 anewman35 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 2,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
This is probably one of the best ideas I've read in a long time. Some nice "home whites" used only for Sundays that keep the current, Old English logo, but add the navy/red 83' color scheme. All white uniforms with the navy/red piping on the pants and jerseys plus navy caps with red bills would look great IMO. This would offer the SOX marketing the alternative color option they want to drive merchandise sales while not replicating the actual design of the 83 uniforms which IMO look horrible dated based on today's uniform styles. What worked in 1983 does not work today with belt loops, baggy long pants and not stirrups.

Hello Brooks...
I have to assume the 83 throwback stuff is much more about selling the alternate logos than it is about the alternate color - the reason I think this is because they sell stuff in a bunch of different colors (even colors that the team would never actually wear) ANYWAY (just check out shop.mlb.com)

On a semi-related note, they still list the standard 1983 cap as a "authentic on-field" cap. Might just be old stock from last year, or maybe they'll use both that AND the "new" batterman cap?
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Red Barchetta Red Barchetta is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I have to assume the 83 throwback stuff is much more about selling the alternate logos than it is about the alternate color - the reason I think this is because they sell stuff in a bunch of different colors (even colors that the team would never actually wear) ANYWAY (just check out shop.mlb.com)

On a semi-related note, they still list the standard 1983 cap as a "authentic on-field" cap. Might just be old stock from last year, or maybe they'll use both that AND the "new" batterman cap?
I think the main difference is that the "fashion" caps and other merchandise available in other colors can't be marketed as on-field uniforms. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I just think the SOX brass have a strong sentimental attachment to the 83' unis as they represent the first real branding mark they made on the team after taking ownership. I just wonder whether the batterman logo and the block SOX script are actually this popular, or whether it's just a case of the SOX marketing department telling us that they are popular.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 52
Default

[QUOTE=Red Barchetta;3113354]I think the main difference is that the "fashion" caps and other merchandise available in other colors can't be marketed as on-field uniforms. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I just think the SOX brass have a strong sentimental attachment to the 83' unis as they represent the first real branding mark they made on the team after taking ownership. I just wonder whether the batterman logo and the block SOX script are actually this popular, or whether it's just a case of the SOX marketing department telling us that they are popular.[/QUOTE

I xont think theyd go through all of this if they werent making money offf of it. That is always first in business.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.