White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I wonder if this is a generational thing. I was born in 1986 and have loved the 83 unis from the moment I first saw them. Most people I know my age also think those are among the best uniforms the Sox have ever worn.

On the contrary, I think the red pinstripe unis are inexplicable. Why would the WHITE Sox wear those jerseys when there is another different team called the RED Sox? Never made sense to me.
I was born in 1986 as well and I completely agree with this post.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Doesn't this go against the whole excuse Brooks Boyer gave a couple of years ago with removing the diamond sock patch and keeping the branding of the team consistent?
I had actually thought about this exact same thing. Doesn't make sense.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
Screw it, let's just pull every uniform scheme the Sox have had over the past 113 years and put them in regular rotation. Imagine all the extra merchandise sales! And nobody's going to stop going to games because of it, so what's the downside?

I'm being facetious, but only partly. Seriously, if we're going to do away with consistent branding a little, then **** it, let's go full bore.
I must warn you, some Sox staff does read this board. Don't give them any ideas, they are dumb enough to run with it.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox should just do what this minor league team is doing. I'd be down.

http://nesn.com/2014/03/fresno-grizz...-season-photo/

Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 AM
WSI Regular

I loved the '83 uniforms when they came out, but then I was into the "Astro" look and was thinking anything would be better than the pajama uniforms. Then is then and now is now, though. For some reason too, the throwbacks just don't look as good as the originals. Maybe its the bagginess, the belt loops, or the shoetop length pants. This version just don't seem to wear as well. Thinking back to the pajama style uniform, what about a version of those but with tucked in buttoned shirts, belts, and no collars? How do you think that would look?

SFF
Old 03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringfldFan View Post
Thinking back to the pajama style uniform, what about a version of those but with tucked in buttoned shirts, belts, and no collars? How do you think that would look?SFF
Like this?

Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Spring training thread - 2 pages
Alternate uniform thread - 7 pages

Good job, fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Spring training thread - 2 pages
Alternate uniform thread - 7 pages

Good job, fellas.
Just following Don Cooper's lead.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM
WSI Regular

Is it the style that is appealing or is it the color scheme? For me its the color scheme. Id actually like to see the current style minus pinstripes with the 83 color scheme and piping. And have the current unis be the sunday alternate .
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 AM
WSI High Priest

'83 uniform is cool but I'd like to see more of the 1990 uniform. I think it's the most underrated. It's also totally overlooked on the Sox' own uniform history web page

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
Is it the style that is appealing or is it the color scheme? For me its the color scheme. Id actually like to see the current style minus pinstripes with the 83 color scheme and piping. And have the current unis be the sunday alternate .
This is probably one of the best ideas I've read in a long time. Some nice "home whites" used only for Sundays that keep the current, Old English logo, but add the navy/red 83' color scheme. All white uniforms with the navy/red piping on the pants and jerseys plus navy caps with red bills would look great IMO. This would offer the SOX marketing the alternative color option they want to drive merchandise sales while not replicating the actual design of the 83 uniforms which IMO look horrible dated based on today's uniform styles. What worked in 1983 does not work today with belt loops, baggy long pants and not stirrups.

Hello Brooks...
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
This is probably one of the best ideas I've read in a long time. Some nice "home whites" used only for Sundays that keep the current, Old English logo, but add the navy/red 83' color scheme. All white uniforms with the navy/red piping on the pants and jerseys plus navy caps with red bills would look great IMO. This would offer the SOX marketing the alternative color option they want to drive merchandise sales while not replicating the actual design of the 83 uniforms which IMO look horrible dated based on today's uniform styles. What worked in 1983 does not work today with belt loops, baggy long pants and not stirrups.

Hello Brooks...
I have to assume the 83 throwback stuff is much more about selling the alternate logos than it is about the alternate color - the reason I think this is because they sell stuff in a bunch of different colors (even colors that the team would never actually wear) ANYWAY (just check out shop.mlb.com)

On a semi-related note, they still list the standard 1983 cap as a "authentic on-field" cap. Might just be old stock from last year, or maybe they'll use both that AND the "new" batterman cap?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
I have to assume the 83 throwback stuff is much more about selling the alternate logos than it is about the alternate color - the reason I think this is because they sell stuff in a bunch of different colors (even colors that the team would never actually wear) ANYWAY (just check out shop.mlb.com)

On a semi-related note, they still list the standard 1983 cap as a "authentic on-field" cap. Might just be old stock from last year, or maybe they'll use both that AND the "new" batterman cap?
I think the main difference is that the "fashion" caps and other merchandise available in other colors can't be marketed as on-field uniforms. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I just think the SOX brass have a strong sentimental attachment to the 83' unis as they represent the first real branding mark they made on the team after taking ownership. I just wonder whether the batterman logo and the block SOX script are actually this popular, or whether it's just a case of the SOX marketing department telling us that they are popular.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
WSI Regular

[QUOTE=Red Barchetta;3113354]I think the main difference is that the "fashion" caps and other merchandise available in other colors can't be marketed as on-field uniforms. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I just think the SOX brass have a strong sentimental attachment to the 83' unis as they represent the first real branding mark they made on the team after taking ownership. I just wonder whether the batterman logo and the block SOX script are actually this popular, or whether it's just a case of the SOX marketing department telling us that they are popular.[/QUOTE

I xont think theyd go through all of this if they werent making money offf of it. That is always first in business.