White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 06:26 PM
WSI Prelate

A very nice way to start the season. It's nice to win with Sale giving up three runs, a long way from what I expect will be his best this year. It was nice to see he had some margin for error.

Good days at the plate for De Aza, of course, and Abreu, but also Eaton and Gillaspie. Gillaspie's double really was the turning point I the game, setting up the ultimate game-winning RBI from Abreu and manufactured sacrifice fly, sort of the antithesis of the sacrifice fly Dunn lost last year because of bad baserunning (if you're looking for turnarounds).

Eaton looked like he did a couple of years ago in the PCL. Watching Abreu, though, I was most impressed with the way the ball jumped off his bat on pitches both off the plate in and off the plate. I was impressed with his contact. Recent Cubans coming up to the Chicago for April baseball haven't made so much contact.

Overall, I was impressed with the contact made by most of the team, keeping strikeouts to a minimum. Maybe Nolasco didn't settle in to his first Twins start until the third inning, but the Sox seemed to be making better contact than they did against even lesser pitchers last season. Dunn popping out instead of striking out turned out to be pivotal in the game.

It was also nice to see Daryl Boston didn't get rid of his winter beard, even if he did trim it.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice win for the Sox, all the way around.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I can't get behind those...

That said, go Sox!

Did they announce Lindstrom as the closer or did he just happen to pick this one up?

Gillaspie third, eh? Well, he has always had a sweet swing I guess we'll see if it translates to success.
Robin said before the game he's the closer for now. Webb to do long relief.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6531620.story
Old 03-31-2014, 06:35 PM
WSI Guru

My favorite thing to do on the L ride home is total up the scorecard. This one took about five minutes. Thank you Chris Sale!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.8 KB, 53 views)

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 PM
WSI Personality

No way either Dunn or Konerko starts over Abreu unless it's to spell him. That man is a baseball player. Glad to see good things from all the young guys.

#teamshield
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Best Sox game I've been to in 18 months. Abreu looked every bit as good as I hoped he would. Loved Eaton's approach at the plate. Sale is still Sale, so that's good.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Just finished my DVR recording 10 minutes ago post work. Some observations.

This year will be far more exciting than the previous few, because the Sox are finally trying something new. I don't know where this team will go, but I am okay with the idea and perfectly happy watching it grow.

Adam Eaton looks the part of a lead off hitter. He fought through pitches well, and runs exceptionally well too.

I liked Semien- I thought he made solid contact, and had the bat taken out of his hands once.

Abreu is the key for this club. We could be a .500 club if he performs to expectations. All pundits, Stoney, and Hawk seem to think he will be the real deal, and from what he showed today, it may be the case that he is. You can tell he has some serious power, but he showed something far more important to me- his ability to make contact on any type of pitch. He pushed the ball opposite field, hit a pitch low and inside twice, and generally made solid contact.

Besides that, great job all around, barring the one guy I have disliked for years now (don't need to mention his name, you know who I am talking about).

Liked the stuff out of Belisario's arm- he had some serious movement.

1-0 is not a bad start. Baseball is unlike every sport in the fact that every year is fresh hope for every team in the bigs until the middle of April. I'm not predicting anything for this team, but hey, one can dream.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

The second game always looks better when you're 1-0. Way to go Sox, and keep it going.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:50 PM
WSI Personality

Great game to be at, team looks a lot better this year than last year, and it looks like everyone is having more fun! I was 2 seats away from where the first De Aza bomb was hit!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Great day to be at the ballpark. The weather cooperated and I liked that I didn't need to wear my jacket for most of a March 31 game.

Sale did his usual thing, De Aza was fantastic and I got what I expected from Eaton and Abreu, the two newbies I'm most excited about.

Just to elaborate on Dunn's unorthodox sac fly, I thought the ball was heading in the other direction, but then saw Floriman make a nice running catch in foul territory. What followed was maybe the best play I've seen from any White Sox player in some time: Gillaspie tagging up and hustling to beat the throw and score a critical run. If we can get this smart decision-making from everyone, 2014 is going to be a much better season. I already thought it would be, but to see how they'll do it is just as thrilling.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Nice win. Sox own opening day.
Strange lineup - I figured De Aza would hit 2nd or 3rd, and Alexie 6 and just switch when Viciedo plays.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 PM
WSI Personality

No errors!!

Very pleased to see that.

Think Jose will be hitting 3rd in no time as he appears to be our best hitter by quite a bit. (not just counting today but spring as well.)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
WSI Personality

The last few year, I recall MLB had the recap/highlight videos up shortly after the games. I can't seem to find one for this game (it ended as I drove home). Am I missing something?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM
WSI Guru

The best thing about this Sox performance: No errors. Defense is my biggest concern coming into the year. The Sox beat themselves so many times last year and looked sloppy at times in spring training as well. Not today. Nice, crisp victory.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Would love to see Sale continually actually get some run support this year and win the Cy Young. This is a good start.