White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Perfect Opening Day- great game, new guys were very impressive- park looked beautiful- Bossard is a genius, liked the new "Home of the Chicago White Sox" look behind home plate (including the retired numbers)-

All of the new beer, cocktail (Xfinity Zone) and food options are great - very nice improvements- I think this franchise is back on track across the board- from the players on the field to the overall experience attending a game- very impressive start to 2014-congratulations to both Rick Hahn and Brooks Boyer- well done-
I think the numbers behind home plate should settle any debate on whether or not Konerko's number will be retired. Where did you find the new beer? I found anti-hero, but the midwest beer stand didn't carry two-hearted.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
I love winning. It's so much better than losing.
How about it?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
WSI Regular

Here's a surprising stat I heard- Sox have won 12 of last 13 home openers...I remember when the ballpark opened they started out terrible..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
I think the numbers behind home plate should settle any debate on whether or not Konerko's number will be retired.
Noticed that right away - nice big gap where 14 would go.

Eaton looked fast as hell up the line watching from the third base.

Not sure why Alexei tried for two on his hit but ultimately didn't hurt us. Really surprised any balls got out yesterday with the way the wind was blowing in at times.

Some food comments:

Bacon on a stick - pretty decent. A lot of bacon for $5 considering corn is 4.50.

Chicken and waffle sandwich - huge and kind of messy, but pretty tasty.

No pierogies available yet at the stands listing them for sale.

They had one person working about 5 sections up in club level. People were getting a little restless.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Random thoughts from a happy Sox fan:

1.Sale was tough. Only Suzuki could really hurt him with that two out base hit. Thought he would not come out for the 8th, and of course he promptly gives up a hit..that ultimately scored off of Bellesari(who I was not impressed with...hope he works out, but not liking what I saw).

Robin should have pulled Chris after 7 innings but I think he wanted to give Chris the standing ovation after being pulled....not good to be that emotional as manager.

2. Defense was good, on a very windy day, where you almost expect some misplayed balls....or balls getting lost in flying hot dog wrappers

3. The newcomers were impressive offensively. Eaton looks like Pods of 2005 at the plate. Great.
Abreu hit a pitch off the outside corner like a rocket to right, and then an inside fastball down the line in left...plate coverage? oh yea.

4. Robin put up the L/R/L/R lineup and it worked. Lefties crushed their starter.
5. DeAza and Gilaspie are two guys that got dogged in the offseason,but they looked good yesterday....I like both guys.

6. Tank seemed glum not starting....maybe it will motivate him.

7. Flowers did a good job behind the plate and hit one rope.

8. Simien had first game jitters at the plate. Bad sac bunt effort/pop up, and another bad at bat later but he should settle down hopefully. Good in the field.

9. Alexei is buried at 9th, and he is one of our better hitters. I suspect we see him move up soon.

10. Avasail Garcia got a hit, and looks marvelous.

Go Sox, keep winning.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Random thoughts from a happy Sox fan:

2. Defense was good, on a very windy day, where you almost expect some misplayed balls....or balls getting lost in flying hot dog wrappers
Well at least the Twins misplayed something - that was a gift sac fly Dunn got - should have been a pop out. Once again he can't execute with RISP and less than 2 outs.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Well at least the Twins misplayed something - that was a gift sac fly Dunn got - should have been a pop out. Once again he can't execute with RISP and less than 2 outs.
I'm really hoping Konerko or someone else will be the go-to pinch hitter in these situations as the season progresses. I literally have ZERO confidence in Dunn to succeed in those situations. The fact that he even made contact was surprising in its own right.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
WSI Regular

More random observations at Opening Day:

1. The Sale K-Zone section (154) was terrific. There were 3 shirt sizes to choose from, Adult XL, Adult M, and Youth XL. My boys had a lot of fun waving the K card, too. The staff even canvassed the section periodically to make sure everyone had a shirt and card. Outstanding.

2. Many people were late arriving. Entering the park is now more like an airport terminal. Cars parking in Lot D were under scanned by personnel, presumably for explosives. This did not happen to me for Lot F. Plan to arrive early if you think the game will be well-attended.

3. For those of you who live west or southwest, Pershing Ave. is under construction between Ashland and Racine. Traffic down to one lane in each direction and very slow going.

4. The drinking fountains were not functioning in the general left-field corner area - section 145 through the bleachers. Two were covered in plastic sheeting.

5. One beer man carries Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. He said he was excited to have it this year, but got a late start in selling it during the game because of some confusion in the stockroom.

6. The food lines were not overly long that I saw, but the Midwest Brews in 155 had a very long one. I think people are voting with their taste buds and the stations with high quality beer need more staffing.

7. Overall, the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Made it through another winter and just so happy that baseball is back .. what an enjoyable game to watch, more please .. all i ask is that they play hard and play solid defense..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac38 View Post
I'm really hoping Konerko or someone else will be the go-to pinch hitter in these situations as the season progresses. I literally have ZERO confidence in Dunn to succeed in those situations. The fact that he even made contact was surprising in its own right.
Dunn is what he is -- he is a three true outcome guy and is not great in RBI situations. He is not going to be anything different.

Dunn may end up batting lower in the order and that's OK. And he is only here for 2014 at most. If he has a decent first half, the Sox may deal him in June or July.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehosepub View Post
Here's a surprising stat I heard- Sox have won 12 of last 13 home openers...I remember when the ballpark opened they started out terrible..
Who could forget that 2007 debacle vs. Cleveland. Contreras lasted 1 inning, giving up 7 runs in the process http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00704020.shtml

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
More random observations at Opening Day:

1. The Sale K-Zone section (154) was terrific. There were 3 shirt sizes to choose from, Adult XL, Adult M, and Youth XL. My boys had a lot of fun waving the K card, too. The staff even canvassed the section periodically to make sure everyone had a shirt and card. Outstanding.

2. Many people were late arriving. Entering the park is now more like an airport terminal. Cars parking in Lot D were under scanned by personnel, presumably for explosives. This did not happen to me for Lot F. Plan to arrive early if you think the game will be well-attended.

3. For those of you who live west or southwest, Pershing Ave. is under construction between Ashland and Racine. Traffic down to one lane in each direction and very slow going.

4. The drinking fountains were not functioning in the general left-field corner area - section 145 through the bleachers. Two were covered in plastic sheeting.

5. One beer man carries Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. He said he was excited to have it this year, but got a late start in selling it during the game because of some confusion in the stockroom.

6. The food lines were not overly long that I saw, but the Midwest Brews in 155 had a very long one. I think people are voting with their taste buds and the stations with high quality beer need more staffing.

7. Overall, the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful.
My observations ballpark related.

- I remembered that entry last year was a nightmare, so we packed up the tailgate a little early and were in line at Gate 5 by 2:25. I was in my seat by the Twins intro, so no complaints. Other folks I was with got to the gates at 2:50 and didn't get in until the third inning.

- The young woman at the bottom of the escalators at Gate 5 was all smiles and genuinely seemed excited to greet people.

Chi sox bar seems a little more laid back than Bicardi. Hope The whole louder than loud DJ Shtick is gone, too.

- Beer from the vendors is now $8 for Miller Lite. I hope somebody is doing the math on whether the price increase is worth the loss in sales. Summer Shandy is a nice option in the stands.

- Complaints about long lines at the concession stands remind me of the old Yogi Berra quote, "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

- My brother was over the moon about about Beggars Pizza. He forgave not getting a catcher in exchange for this off season pick up.

- Opening Montage: OK, the first intro was terrific, and I'm hoping it just wasn't for Opening Day, but that was followed up by that thing from last year with the muddy soundtrack. Oh and not including the hot dog lady, Ho Pun, in the memorial montage is nearly unforgivable.

That behind the plate paint job does look nice. Not as bright as the pictures Sunday were showing.

- Bravo for tweaking the out of town scoreboard. I can actually see the scores! Much nicer.

- I forgot what a full house does for the atmosphere of that place. One of the better crowds I've been with.

- Give credit where credit is due. Parking lot security in Lot A was great. For the first time in years, we weren't given the bum's rush out of the place after the game. It was nearly a full hour before the golf cart guys asked us, politely, to start packing up.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
I think the numbers behind home plate should settle any debate on whether or not Konerko's number will be retired. .
To me, it looked like there is enough room for two numbers to go into that space -- #14 for Paulie and I'm predicting #13 for Ozzie (never discount JR's loyalty).
Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
Who could forget that 2007 debacle vs. Cleveland. Contreras lasted 1 inning, giving up 7 runs in the process http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00704020.shtml
I remember that one. Jose Contreras was served with divorce papers the morning of the game. He looked glazed over from first pitch.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I remember that one. Jose Contreras was served with divorce papers the morning of the game. He looked glazed over from first pitch.
I knew his marriage had fallen apart, but I never knew that. What a see you next Tuesday.