White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Yep. Lemon44 pointed out that even had Hank not hit a single dinger he would have still accumulated over 3k hits. Is there anybody outside of the newly eligible Biggio or suspected roider Palmeiro who reached that milestone that isn't in?
Pete Rose

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Pete Rose
How could I have forgotten about Pete? The poor guy will probably always be on the outside looking in because he just couldn't resist the action.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:24 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
How could I have forgotten about Pete? The poor guy will probably always be on the outside looking in because he just couldn't resist the action.
Yeah, gambling is the cardinal sin of organized sports. Sad that a player of his stature is so easily forgotten now, he's been banned for what? Close to 30 years at least.

Fun fact, his son is the manager of the Sox's A-ball team in Kannapolis.

But to answer your question, the only members of the 3,000 hit club not in the HOF are Rose, Biggio, and Palmiero (and Jeter, of course). After that the highest hit totals of HOF-eligible players not enshrined in Cooperstown are Barry Bonds (#33 overall, 2935 H), Harold Baines (#43, 2866 H), and Vada Pinson (#52, 2757 H). A-Rod, Vizquel, Ivan Rodriguez, Griffey, and Johnny Damon are all in there, too, but none of them are yet eligible for the HOF.

The lowest hit total of any position player in the HOF is, I believe, Phil Rizzuto with 1,588 hits in his career. There are a few others with fewer, like Al Lopez, but they are technically inducted as managers, even though they played in the MLB, as well.

Last edited by doublem23; 04-12-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, gambling is the cardinal sin of organized sports. Sad that a player of his stature is so easily forgotten now, he's been banned for what? Close to 30 years at least.

Fun fact, his son is the manager of the Sox's A-ball team in Kannapolis.

But to answer your question, the only members of the 3,000 hit club not in the HOF are Rose, Biggio, and Palmiero (and Jeter, of course). After that the highest hit totals of HOF-eligible players not enshrined in Cooperstown are Barry Bonds (#33 overall, 2935 H), Harold Baines (#43, 2866 H), and Vada Pinson (#52, 2757 H). A-Rod, Vizquel, Ivan Rodriguez, Griffey, and Johnny Damon are all in there, too, but none of them are yet eligible for the HOF.

The lowest hit total of any position player in the HOF is, I believe, Phil Rizzuto with 1,588 hits in his career. There are a few others with fewer, like Al Lopez, but they are technically inducted as managers, even though they played in the MLB, as well.
Thanks for the info my man. There's no doubt it would have taken me a much longer time to do that research than it took you. I'm going to have to look up Phil Rizzuto now and see what the deal was with him; its always seemed to me that even all-glove-no-bat guys usually need more hits than 1500-something to get into the hall;especially non-catchers with no power. Maybe that's just my perception..
Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
His player comparisons are ridiculous, and his similar batters by age really indicate what a fantastic player Miguel Cabrera is.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Kind of late to point this out, but it is an interesting fact that I couldn't help but notice.

Hank Aaron, who is 80 years old, was present for the celebration of the 40th anniversary of breaking Babe Ruth's record. On the night Aaron broke Ruth's record, Babe Ruth had been dead for decades. Had he lived to see Aaron break his record, he would have been 79 years old.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Just heard on the news that Aaron hit his first homer 60 years ago today.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
So, both players happen to have the exact same numbers for all three of these stats as of their 31st birthday? I find that a bit incredible.

To match Aaron's HR mark, it isn't enough to keep pace with how he was at 31. One thing Aaron did that few hitters are able to do is keep up the prolific numbers through almost age 40. Aaron had 47 HRs at age 37 and 40 HR at age 39. Griffey Jr was washed up and playing for the White Sox at that age - which I would guess is more the norm for a baseball player.