White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Very, very, very, very unlikely.
I don't know, I think I have to agree with sun. At this rate Buehrle should be putting up negative ERAs by 2016. I made this chart to illustrate:
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM
sunofgold sunofgold is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 969
Default 400 wins

I also heard through "my sources" that buehrle is working on a knuckleball. Then he can pitch at an older age than Moyer. That will get him 400 wins at least. You cannot deny a 400 game winner a pass to HOF!

Honestly if you are a pitcher you are better off being a control pitcher than a power pitcher (in most cases). You will have a longer career. Ks are sexy but an out is an out.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
I also heard through "my sources" that buehrle is working on a knuckleball. Then he can pitch at an older age than Moyer. That will get him 400 wins at least. You cannot deny a 400 game winner a pass to HOF!

Honestly if you are a pitcher you are better off being a control pitcher than a power pitcher (in most cases). You will have a longer career. Ks are sexy but an out is an out.
Sexy, but fascist. Ground balls are more democratic, after all.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 AM
gobears1987 gobears1987 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: From the Mideast to the Midwest
Posts: 12,756
Default

The single most amazing thing about Buehrle is with all of those 200 IP seasons, he has not spent so much as a day on the DL as far as I can recall.

Is there any pitcher in the last 20 years who pitched at least a dozen full seasons as a starter who can say that?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 784
Default

You would think that Buehrle would not get into the Hall of Fame. Then again, if 2 mopes like Walter O'Malley and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo got voted into the Hall, anything is possible. These voters who vote for the Hall of Fame have a tendency to rewrite history so we'll just have to wait and see if Buerhle gets in.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

I'm actually pretty excited about his start tonight. I hope he does well, but part of me really feels he's gonna get hit hard. He's gotta be due for a bad game especially with the way Pedroia and Ortiz hit him.. The one thing about Buehrle is he can have a bad game or two and it doesn't seem to affect him. I'm predicting 6 innings with 4 strikeouts and 4 earned runs....I'm hoping for at least a quality start though. His current season war is 1.6, hoping he adds at least 0.3 tonight.

Last edited by chicagowhitesox1; 04-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:05 AM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
The single most amazing thing about Buehrle is with all of those 200 IP seasons, he has not spent so much as a day on the DL as far as I can recall.

Is there any pitcher in the last 20 years who pitched at least a dozen full seasons as a starter who can say that?
I don't think theres been a more durable pitcher even in the last 30-35 years. Maybe Roy Halladay or Jack Morris but I would still give the nod to Buehrle for durability over them.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 AM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 896
Default

No way does Roy Halladay get the nod over Buehrle in a durability contest.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I don't think theres been a more durable pitcher even in the last 30-35 years. Maybe Roy Halladay or Jack Morris but I would still give the nod to Buehrle for durability over them.
Nolan Ryan says "hi."
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Nolan Ryan says "hi."
Nolan Ryan is not a good example to use, I'm not saying he used roids but if there was a way to find out the truth, I would bet everything I own, that he did use. Plus in the past 35 years, Ryan was injured in 1982, 1983, and 1986 along with 1992 and 1993. Mark Buehrle says Bye.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
jdm2662 jdm2662 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lombard, IL
Posts: 7,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Nolan Ryan is not a good example to use, I'm not saying he used roids but if there was a way to find out the truth, I would bet everything I own, that he did use. Plus in the past 35 years, Ryan was injured in 1982, 1983, and 1986 along with 1992 and 1993. Mark Buehrle says Bye.
In 1992 and 1993 he was 45 and 46.
__________________
4-time WSI NFL Pick 'em vs Spread Champion
2009 2010 2011 2013
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,198
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Nolan Ryan is not a good example to use, I'm not saying he used roids but if there was a way to find out the truth, I would bet everything I own, that he did use. Plus in the past 35 years, Ryan was injured in 1982, 1983, and 1986 along with 1992 and 1993. Mark Buehrle says Bye.
He still pitched 200 innings in 1990 at the age of 43.

That's pretty durable.

I get that we like Mark Buehrle because he was on the Sox, but come on now folks, let's not be ridiculous.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
He still pitched 200 innings in 1990 at the age of 43.

That's pretty durable.

I get that we like Mark Buehrle because he was on the Sox, but come on now folks, let's not be ridiculous.
Roger Clemens pitched 200 innings at age 42.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Nolan Ryan is not a good example to use, I'm not saying he used roids but if there was a way to find out the truth, I would bet everything I own, that he did use. Plus in the past 35 years, Ryan was injured in 1982, 1983, and 1986 along with 1992 and 1993. Mark Buehrle says Bye.
Actually, I think you just said that you do think Nolan Ryan used PED's. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there's as much evidence connecting Ryan to steroids as there is connecting Buehrle to steroids -- NONE.

I love Buehrle, but c'mon.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Actually, I think you just said that you do think Nolan Ryan used PED's. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there's as much evidence connecting Ryan to steroids as there is connecting Buehrle to steroids -- NONE.

I love Buehrle, but c'mon.
Well I admit, I have no proof about Ryan but I still think during Ryans 1978-1993 years, Buehrle was more durable than him. Overall career Ryan does beat him out.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.