White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Boras pushing for collusion

Interesting:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...on-of-the-cba/

So when nobody wants to pay Morales and Drew even close to the obscene amounts they want it's OK, but if someone talks about it, it's collusion.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Interesting:

So when nobody wants to pay Morales and Drew even close to the obscene amounts they want it's OK, but if someone talks about it, it's collusion.
He's saying he has a problem with the 'anonymous' club officials from clubs around the league who made very specific and public comments about these players' value. And you know what? He's right to have a problem with it.

It'd be like any person looking for a job in any field. Say you think you're worth $75,000, but people who you don't know from places you have no interest in going make comments publicly about your value being around $40,000-$50,000 per year and those comments are available for anyone to see. Wouldn't you be furious too? Regardless of how much you end up getting and where your value settles, I have to imagine you'd be furious - I know I would.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
-

Um, yes, that's precisely what the word collusion means.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
He's saying he has a problem with the 'anonymous' club officials from clubs around the league who made very specific and public comments about these players' value. And you know what? He's right to have a problem with it.

It'd be like any person looking for a job in any field. Say you think you're worth $75,000, but people who you don't know from places you have no interest in going make comments publicly about your value being around $40,000-$50,000 per year and those comments are available for anyone to see. Wouldn't you be furious too? Regardless of how much you end up getting and where your value settles, I have to imagine you'd be furious - I know I would.
Sure, none of us would like it, but the reality is that these players both got multiple offers, but it was below what either they think they're worth or Boras' inflated idea of what they're worth. And they're not playing after the season starts because of it.

I don't see how this is any different that any other year when the price of free agents go down after jobs get scarce in late January/early February.

IMO, had these players had representation with a more realistic view of the marketplace, they'd be playing right now, not insisting they're still worth over $14M, which was the qualifying offers they both refused.

Not saying it's right that anonymous sources were baited by ESPN to lower their value further and to make a controversy out of this, but this sure looks to me like the marketplace determining their value instead of collusion.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Interesting:

Without seeing the CBA and its definition of collusion, those of us on the outside don't know if it is or isn't. Borass is not claiming illegal collusion barred by the law, he is claiming collusion as defined by the CBA.

Collusion barred by law involves private communications among competitors to fix prices or other values thereby depriving the recipient(s) of the goods or services of a fair chance at negotiating a price or value. This is a simplified explanation of a complex concept.

All hail The Rick
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Time after time Boras refuses to look at his clients objectively hoping some dumb owner or GM signs one of his overpriced clients to a massive deal (See Prince Fielder's current deal) and most of the time he gets more for his clients. But the fact is Stephen Drew is an average to below average shortstop. It also didn't help that in the playoffs last year he hit a whopping .111

Boras is trying to get the best deal for Drew but the numbers are not there and blaming collusion is Boras' way of letting his client know that it isn't his fault that the season has started and Drew isn't on a team.

Last edited by Irishsox1; 04-16-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

I understand what Boras is saying regrading the anonymous front office sources speaking to the media. If it's part of the CBA then the sources should know better.

However, Boras alleging that the comments hurt his clients value, and implying that's the reason they've yet to be signed is ridiculous. The article came out last week; his clients have been on the market for over 5 months. I guess it's easier to point fingers than to accept the fact that you didn't do your job as an agent.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
I understand what Boras is saying regrading the anonymous front office sources speaking to the media. If it's part of the CBA then the sources should know better.

However, Boras alleging that the comments hurt his clients value, and implying that's the reason they've yet to be signed is ridiculous. The article came out last week; his clients have been on the market for over 5 months. I guess it's easier to point fingers than to accept the fact that you didn't do your job as an agent.
Right, agreed. Those comments did not hurt his clients value; their value was/is already lower than he/they think it is.

Then again, all it takes is one team to overreact to an injury or a suspension by taking out the checkbook and paying these guys. Whatever their value might be to 29 other clubs (and anonymous sources), all it takes is that one team to get 'jumpy' and end up paying them what they're looking for.

The problem with these comments being out there, is that their value to a few of those 29 other teams is now very public, and the team that gets 'jumpy' certainly now has a baseline of where they can start negotiations (and Boras can't dictate as much in negotiations; not that he would've been able to anyway). Fact of the matter is, if he would've done his job and gotten these guys respectable offers 4 months ago, then he wouldn't have had to worry about his lack of negotiating power in late April.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM
WSI Guru

I was also thinking they weren't signed because it would cost teams a draft pick. When is the deadline for that, May 1 or something?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM
WSI High Priest

He might have a point or not. Let's not forget Boras has a history of whinning like a spoiled child when he doesn't get his way. Teams don't think these respective players are worth what he wants. Oh well. Cry me a river.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
He might have a point or not. Let's not forget Boras has a history of whinning like a spoiled child when he doesn't get his way. Teams don't think these respective players are worth what he wants. Oh well. Cry me a river.
Yup, that's the key word here and you beat me to it. Whiny bitch is whiny.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 PM
WSI High Priest

I am never sad when this happens to Boras clients. If they want to hope for an injury to make them more attractive, they can do that. However, losing a year of playing has to be tough to swallow, especially if the qualifying offers they turned down.