White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 04:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm usually an advocate of huge upside (I loved the Courtney Hawkins pick), but as the Cardinals and Jays have shown with Wacha and Stroman, going for quick impact can be a very good thing as well. That said, I'd take Rodon in a second if he's around at 3.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 PM
WSI High Priest

If we take Nola at 3, we are going to be a laughing stock and it would be further proof we have no real interest in being anything more than a bottom 5 farm team. Terrible reach there.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 PM
WSI Personality

Rodon please
Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Tragg:

I've been told on more than one occasion by sources that JR "inserts" himself into the draft process going so far supposedly as to "recommend" who the top pick / picks should be.

If that's true it does put the scouting director in a difficult position...would you go against your boss?

Lip
Difficult position, yes, but I would still make the recommendation I thought was right to the GM. It all depends on who has made the call on guys like Broadway and McCullough versus Sale and Beckham. Perhaps Jerry has made some good recommendations, but he probably needs to leave the deals to the experts.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I'm usually an advocate of huge upside (I loved the Courtney Hawkins pick), but as the Cardinals and Jays have shown with Wacha and Stroman, going for quick impact can be a very good thing as well. That said, I'd take Rodon in a second if he's around at 3.
Wacha was picked 19 and strohmam 22...you don't go quick impact high floor at 3. Asked a friend who writes about prospects and the draft for a living and he said picking Nola would be a disaster for the Sox. Projects him as a future number 3 and you don't hope to get a number 3 sp with the 3rd pick in the draft
Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Wacha was picked 19 and strohmam 22...you don't go quick impact high floor at 3. Asked a friend who writes about prospects and the draft for a living and he said picking Nola would be a disaster for the Sox. Projects him as a future number 3 and you don't hope to get a number 3 sp with the 3rd pick in the draft
Considering the best SP ever drafted 3rd overall is Bobby Witt (the Bobby Witt), I'm not sure getting a #3 MLB SP would qualify as a "disaster."

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Considering the best SP ever drafted 3rd overall is Bobby Witt (the Bobby Witt), I'm not sure getting a #3 MLB SP would qualify as a "disaster."
Maybe it's because there have never been 3 arms of this quality in the draft before? Or maybe previous drafts have had so many great bats, that a pitcher wasn't taken #3... it would be ridiculous to not select one of the big 3 because the best #3 pitcher is Bobby Witt...

If the Sox pass on Aiken, Kolek or Rodon, I'd be very disappointed!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I think its all about projection and upside. Baseball drafts tend to be a crapshoot, but prospects hold more value in baseball than any other sport. Basically the disaster is, you don't want to pass on a guy who is going to be a consensus top 20 prospects for a guy who is going to be a consensus top 70 prospect, even if he has a better chance of working out, at pick 3. At pick 7-10-13, yes, but in a draft when their are 3 A+ arms, and 1 A bat, you don't want to draft a B+ arm with a C+ floor.

Yes, its possible Nola becomes a 3 and Kolek never pans out, but at pick 3, give me the guy who has the potential to be an ace.

I get what you are saying, the end result really is not a disaster, but the value to the farm and the team is. Nola is interesting because he starts at pick 5 and floors around pick 11, but he should not go top 4.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM
WSI Guru

Contacted someone this afternoon who has followed / covered the draft for many years. I asked them what they were hearing as of Tuesday with the Sox. Here is the reply, take it for what it's worth:

"As for the draft, I think they would be delighted with Rodon because he's more fast track than Aiken or Kolek. But they could do worse than those three. Big drop off between those three and the rest of the college pitchers, led by Nola."

Lip

Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Considering the Sox haven't picked this high since 1981, they need to shoot for the moon. It needs to be one of the obvious 3 best players.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Considering the Sox haven't picked this high since 1981, they need to shoot for the moon. It needs to be one of the obvious 3 best players.
It's actually the Sox highest pick since 1977 when they made Harold Baines the #1 overall draft pick. In 1981, the Sox picked 9th and went with Daryl Boston:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/dr...ype=year_round

Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
It's actually the Sox highest pick since 1977 when they made Harold Baines the #1 overall draft pick. In 1981, the Sox picked 9th and went with Daryl Boston:
Great pick! He made the coaching staff, after all.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Ah yeah, my bad. They picked 3rd in the secondary draft that year.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Agreed. It just isn't the place to go safe. In fact, the only safe play I would even really consider being ok with, and its not even safe, its just CHEAP, is taking Hoffman after his Tommy John as an easy sign and using the money to draft over slot later, but even that is shakey, really really shakey, at pick 3.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Agreed. It just isn't the place to go safe. In fact, the only safe play I would even really consider being ok with, and its not even safe, its just CHEAP, is taking Hoffman after his Tommy John as an easy sign and using the money to draft over slot later, but even that is shakey, really really shakey, at pick 3.
This "the Sox are cheap in the draft" meme is old news now, since the new CBA they have spent every cent of bonus money allotted to them both in the amateur draft and international free agent market. It's just an easy excuse to be lazy about why the team may scout players differently than what they want.