White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 11:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
I think it is going to be Aaron Nola from LSU, slightly below slot, and the Sox will use the cash to get multiple high upside high school arms later in the draft.
Can yall explain this slot stuff? If NOLA's drafted #3, why shouldn't he get #3 money?
I understand it when players want more than their slot...unless they are college seniors they can return to school, so they have some leverage...but if you reach for a player, why shouldn't you have to pay him his slot value?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Can yall explain this slot stuff? If NOLA's drafted #3, why shouldn't he get #3 money?
I understand it when players want more than their slot...unless they are college seniors they can return to school, so they have some leverage...but if you reach for a player, why shouldn't you have to pay him his slot value?
Because he could have been drafted lower, thus his slot value would be much lower. This has a much bigger impact at the top of the draft where the difference between drafting first and fifth is $4M+

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...top-10-rounds/

And I know teams and draftees shouldn't talk before the draft, but they do and often these deals are made: If you sign at this, I'll pick you 3rd.

This all stems from the Astros picking Carlos Correa first and signing him well below slot, then using the savings to sign two players (McCullers and Ruiz) picked in later rounds well over slot - that probably would have gone back to school if there was a offer at or below slot.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

I sat right behind home plate for one of Nola's starts at Alex Box a couple months ago. He could have been having an off night on a very cool evening, but he had #3 starter written all over him, in my humble opinion. Pretty much sat at 91 and didn't look all that special to me. FWIW.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
This "the Sox are cheap in the draft" meme is old news now, since the new CBA they have spent every cent of bonus money allotted to them both in the amateur draft and international free agent market. It's just an easy excuse to be lazy about why the team may scout players differently than what they want.
Thats true, but has ZERO to do with what I said. If you don't follow prospects/college baseball, which is fine, you probably have no idea what I said. Jeff Hoffman, entering the year, was challenging Rodon to be the top overall pick. Explosive fastball, deep breaking ball, good change up, dominating at the college level. Then he tore his UCL and just had Tommy John. Its tough for him, because of the timing. If he does not sign this year, he likely will not come back with enough time to really reestablish himself before the draft next year.

If you believe the school of thought that says Tommy John is pretty common, and he could be back in 15 months just as good, then you might roll the dice, take him at 3, offer him half the slot, which is still better than he will do next year, and then use the left over money to sign above slot in round 2 and 3 etc. It has nothing to do with being cheap, again, read what I wrote. It has everything to do with being SMART, and using the money wisely.

You don't take Nola at 3 because his projections are not great, and you don't draft less than great at pick 3. But Hoffman is a different story, because he is a major gamble, but he projects as a 1, and if he comes back healthy, he could still be a 1.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Thats true, but has ZERO to do with what I said. If you don't follow prospects/college baseball, which is fine, you probably have no idea what I said. Jeff Hoffman, entering the year, was challenging Rodon to be the top overall pick. Explosive fastball, deep breaking ball, good change up, dominating at the college level. Then he tore his UCL and just had Tommy John. Its tough for him, because of the timing. If he does not sign this year, he likely will not come back with enough time to really reestablish himself before the draft next year.

If you believe the school of thought that says Tommy John is pretty common, and he could be back in 15 months just as good, then you might roll the dice, take him at 3, offer him half the slot, which is still better than he will do next year, and then use the left over money to sign above slot in round 2 and 3 etc. It has nothing to do with being cheap, again, read what I wrote. It has everything to do with being SMART, and using the money wisely.

You don't take Nola at 3 because his projections are not great, and you don't draft less than great at pick 3. But Hoffman is a different story, because he is a major gamble, but he projects as a 1, and if he comes back healthy, he could still be a 1.

I don't follow prospects closely and this is why I'm asking this. Is Alex Jackson off the Sox radar or is he really a reach at #3?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
I don't follow prospects closely and this is why I'm asking this. Is Alex Jackson off the Sox radar or is he really a reach at #3?
He's not a reach at 3 as far as I am concerned. You'll see him in this range in several mocks. However, I doubt he is a target for the Sox.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Sorry, its cool if not, I just took exception to hammering the Sox for being cheap comment directed at me, which is not what I was doing.

Jackson is the best hitter in the draft by almost all opinions. The thing is, he likely is not going to stick at Catcher. He might, its not a lock, but most scouts project he ends up in the corner OF, and the decreases his value some.

Jackson would not be a BAD pick, or a reach at 3. There are 3 A+ Pitching prospects right now, and 1 A hitter, Jackson is the hitter.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Keith Law says that Kolek going to the Sox at 3 is a lock. I wonder if they'd pass on Aiken or Rodon for Kolek if it came down to it. I still think I'd prefer Rodon of the three. His path the big leagues could fit right in with our next window of contention, although coming away with any one of the three is a win.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Because he could have been drafted lower, thus his slot value would be much lower. This has a much bigger impact at the top of the draft where the difference between drafting first and fifth is $4M+

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...top-10-rounds/

And I know teams and draftees shouldn't talk before the draft, but they do and often these deals are made: If you sign at this, I'll pick you 3rd.

This all stems from the Astros picking Carlos Correa first and signing him well below slot, then using the savings to sign two players (McCullers and Ruiz) picked in later rounds well over slot - that probably would have gone back to school if there was a offer at or below slot.
But anybody "could have been drafted lower". So are the salaries set by the pre-draft rankings, and if you draft someone who's ranked below your slot, you sign him for less? Or if someone drops and you draft him, you have to pay the money as if he were drafted where he projected?
That's what it seems to me, but it doesn't make much sense. It seems to me that where you are drafted is what you are.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
But anybody "could have been drafted lower". So are the salaries set by the pre-draft rankings, and if you draft someone who's ranked below your slot, you sign him for less? Or if someone drops and you draft him, you have to pay the money as if he were drafted where he projected?
That's what it seems to me, but it doesn't make much sense. It seems to me that where you are drafted is what you are.
Its true, your thought, in theory. But guys get a good feel for where they are going.

So lets Say you have pitcher A rated as a 65/80 on the 20-80 scale. You Have Pitcher B Rated as a 60/80, and the general consensus on player B is that most teams feel he is a 55/80.

Player A is going to cost you the full slot of pick 5. Player B, if you don't take him at pick 5, knows he won't get picked until Pick 9 or 10 based on talks with other teams. So He might look at it and say, at pick 10 I get 1.25 mil, at pick 5 I slot at 3 mil, but if I agree to sign for 2 mil, I get 750k more, and the team gets 1 mil extra to spend in round 2.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post

Player A is going to cost you the full slot of pick 5. Player B, if you don't take him at pick 5, knows he won't get picked until Pick 9 or 10 based on talks with other teams. So He might look at it and say, at pick 10 I get 1.25 mil, at pick 5 I slot at 3 mil, but if I agree to sign for 2 mil, I get 750k more, and the team gets 1 mil extra to spend in round 2.
Okay - makes sense. Can they talk this out with teams before-hand, or is that tampering?
Old 05-30-2014, 05:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Okay - makes sense. Can they talk this out with teams before-hand, or is that tampering?
I don't really know how much contact they are supposed to have, but it does happen.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:27 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox could take four pitchers in their first five draft picks in this week's @MLB draft. http://bit.ly/TaYKuS

“We’re very excited about the potential of this draft and a large part of it is the player we’ll wind up getting at No. 3, but it’s beyond that,” general manager Rick Hahn said. “(The bonus pool is) the largest commitment we’ve made in franchise history and we’re excited not just about what we’re going to get in the first round, but at the top of each of the rounds throughout the three days.”
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM
WSI High Priest

If Scott Ruffcorn is available... I say we grab him!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Alright - time for everybody to give their final guesses as to the top 3.

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Rodon
Chicago - Kolek