White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Moses_Scurry Moses_Scurry is offline
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Alright - time for everybody to give their final guesses as to the top 3.

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Rodon
Chicago - Kolek
Hou: Aiken
Mia: Jackson
Sox: Kolek
cubs: Rodon
__________________
What is Mind? -- Doesn't Matter!
What is Matter? -- Never Mind!
-Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM
hawkjt hawkjt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 7,264
Default

Theo is on record as saying that taking pitchers in the top ten has not been smart historically, so Cubs may steer clear of pitchers.

I think the Sox have little choice...they need pitching and this draft has a lot of it.

Position player spots have been beefed up with Hahn's trades since last July...Sox are reasonably young at all positions in the majors right now.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Alright - time for everybody to give their final guesses as to the top 3.

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Rodon
Chicago - Kolek
I think you nailed it, I 100% agree with you, but I will throw out an interesting scenerio:

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Alex Jackson
Chicago(A) - 2nd happiest team in draft to get Rodon
Chicago (N) - Happiest team in draft to get Kolek
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think you nailed it, I 100% agree with you, but I will throw out an interesting scenerio:

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Alex Jackson
Chicago(A) - 2nd happiest team in draft to get Rodon
Chicago (N) - Happiest team in draft to get Kolek
I think that is definitely the alternate scenario. Miami seems to be the biggest wild card - Rodon or Jackson.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-04-2014, 04:38 PM
JohnTucker0814 JohnTucker0814 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I think that is definitely the alternate scenario. Miami seems to be the biggest wild card - Rodon or Jackson.
I'd really hate for the Cubs to get one of the big 3!!!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-04-2014, 05:01 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I think you nailed it, I 100% agree with you, but I will throw out an interesting scenerio:

Houston - Aiken
Miami - Alex Jackson
Chicago(A) - 2nd happiest team in draft to get Rodon
Chicago (N) - Happiest team in draft to get Kolek
I would love for this to happen. For me it's

Aiken/Rodon

Kolek
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,691
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gonna be interesting to see who the Astros take and try their bonus strategy on - though Jeff Luhnow said yesterday that was a one-time thing, likely since the agents are onto that.

Gordon really wouldn't surprise me, though Aiken is probably the conventional pick. Nolan Ryan went to check out Kolek for the Astros, so that's a dark horse pick.

IMO, Jackson and Rodon are out for them because of Boras, unless they think one of those players is worth close to the full #1 slot value. IMO, neither is.

I'm going with (for now):
1. Hou - Aiken
2. Mia - Rodon
3. Sox - Jackson (and he stays at catcher)
4. Cubs - Kolek (HS pitcher with power curveball = danger. Kerry Wood all over again? LOL)

Last edited by russ99; 06-05-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Gonna be interesting to see who the Astros take and try their bonus strategy on - though Jeff Luhnow said yesterday that was a one-time thing, likely since the agents are onto that.

Gordon really wouldn't surprise me, though Aiken is probably the conventional pick. Nolan Ryan went to check out Kolek for the Astros, so that's a dark horse pick.

IMO, Jackson and Rodon are out for them because of Boras, unless they think one of those players is worth close to the full #1 slot value. IMO, neither is.

I'm going with (for now):
1. Hou - Aiken
2. Mia - Rodon
3. Sox - Jackson (and he stays at catcher)
4. Cubs - Kolek (HS pitcher with power curveball = danger. Kerry Wood all over again? LOL)
Hahn said the agent won't make a difference in who they draft.

All indications are its Kolek if Rodon and Aiken go 1-2, and the Sox prefer Kolek to Aiken actually (although I don't know how much I buy the latter).
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,691
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Hahn said the agent won't make a difference in who they draft.

All indications are its Kolek if Rodon and Aiken go 1-2, and the Sox prefer Kolek to Aiken actually (although I don't know how much I buy the latter).
I know, that's why Jackson is on the table for us, and why the Astros are steering clear since Boras is quoted that Rodon and Jackson won't take discounts.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
I know, that's why Jackson is on the table for us, and why the Astros are steering clear since Boras is quoted that Rodon and Jackson won't take discounts.
Are you posting from the Astros perspective, if so sorry, think I was misreading
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,691
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Are you posting from the Astros perspective, if so sorry, think I was misreading
Both, since the Sox pick hinges primarily on what they do and there's been zero leaks about them.

For instance - what happens if they pull another Correa and pick Gordon?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Both, since the Sox pick hinges primarily on what they do and there's been zero leaks about them.

For instance - what happens if they pull another Correa and pick Gordon?
The interesting scenerio for the Sox is Rodon vs. Kolek. It is a dream situation. I don't see it happening, but Aiken is going 1 or 2. I suppose something strange could happen, Gordon 1, Jackson 2, but just don't see it.

I love this weekend. I have been a draft nerd since high school when a guy in my school got picked by the sox on day 1. He never worked out, but prep baseball/college baseball into the draft, love it.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,922
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Law's final mock draft has us picking NOLA.
He says if Rodon falls he's not sure how we'll swing NOLA or Rodon

anyway, he thinks we're looking for ML ready.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Law's final mock draft has us picking NOLA.
He says if Rodon falls he's not sure how we'll swing NOLA or Rodon

anyway, he thinks we're looking for ML ready.
If Rodon falls to 3 and we end up with Nola, my head might explode. I think Rodon is a perfect fit for where the team should be in 2-3 years.
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
Risk Risk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 1,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
If Rodon falls to 3 and we end up with Nola, my head might explode. I think Rodon is a perfect fit for where the team should be in 2-3 years.
I feel the same way. Take the best available player at #3. I haven't seen anyone here argue that Nola is a better player than Rodon, only that he could get to the bigs faster (which I think is always a dubious reason to take a guy when there are better players still available).

Risk
__________________
I had no intention of quitting anymore than pulling my eyelids off-Dave Mustaine, 2001

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.