White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default 2014 Draft Article

Looks like the scouting department has been placing emphasis on the premium arms for the first pick. Doesn't necessarily mean they're going to go that direction, but there are some really special talents this year.

White Sox taking time to prepare for Draft
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 149
Default

Heading into this season I was very much wanting them to draft a bat (Alex Jackson or best college bat available), but now seeing this offense clicking and seeing the lack of pitching depth I'm more open to an arm. But, it would have to be one of the top three college pitchers. They could potentially be in the rotation next June helping out pretty quickly. I am still very weary of the risks though of taking a pitcher in the first round due to the injury risk.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Heading into this season I was very much wanting them to draft a bat (Alex Jackson or best college bat available), but now seeing this offense clicking and seeing the lack of pitching depth I'm more open to an arm. But, it would have to be one of the top three college pitchers. They could potentially be in the rotation next June helping out pretty quickly. I am still very weary of the risks though of taking a pitcher in the first round due to the injury risk.
At #3, I just think they just take the best player available. High school pitchers make me extremely nervous, but I guess picking this high in the draft doesn't occur too often for this organization, so why not take a chance?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,753
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Did you see the article about how Carlos Rodon is being overworked?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...rodon-decision

Kind of scary that he's being pushed so hard since NC State because isn't playing to expectations.

If the Astros get gunshy, that could really shake up the draft.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Did you see the article about how Carlos Rodon is being overworked?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...rodon-decision

Kind of scary that he's being pushed so hard since NC State because isn't playing to expectations.

If the Astros get gunshy, that could really shake up the draft.
Just as scary is the fact that he has pitched at a 50-55 rated fastball all year. Not what you'd expect from an overall #1. It would certainly be enough to make me leery, if I were a GM.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Heading into this season I was very much wanting them to draft a bat (Alex Jackson or best college bat available), but now seeing this offense clicking and seeing the lack of pitching depth I'm more open to an arm. But, it would have to be one of the top three college pitchers. They could potentially be in the rotation next June helping out pretty quickly. I am still very weary of the risks though of taking a pitcher in the first round due to the injury risk.
When you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current MLB needs. You just take BPA and figure it out later.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
when you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current mlb needs. You just take bpa and figure it out later.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
When you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current MLB needs. You just take BPA and figure it out later.
Well with our current rebuilding/retooling plan of getting major league ready players grabbing one of the 3 college pitchers fits that plan. Also taking either of them at the #3 slot wouldn't be a reach. I think you take the player you think has the best chance of making it to the show and fulfilling the expectations of a #3 pick. The baseball draft is a crapshoot almost, but by taking a college player, it takes some of the risk away because you have a better idea of who that player is.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Well with our current rebuilding/retooling plan of getting major league ready players grabbing one of the 3 college pitchers fits that plan. Also taking either of them at the #3 slot wouldn't be a reach. I think you take the player you think has the best chance of making it to the show and fulfilling the expectations of a #3 pick. The baseball draft is a crapshoot almost, but by taking a college player, it takes some of the risk away because you have a better idea of who that player is.
Kind of, but leaning to much on this approach gives you Aaron Poreda, Kyle Mccullough and Lance Broadway
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Kind of, but leaning to much on this approach gives you Aaron Poreda, Kyle Mccullough and Lance Broadway
Well it's kind of different, those were picks made in the back end of the first round. Those were pitchers that were not expected to be "A" level prospects right away. This year's top college pitchers all have a chance to be the #1 overall pick depending on how they finish out the season.

And as a side note, I am worried about Rondon and that an injury might be imminent for him.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Well it's kind of different, those were picks made in the back end of the first round. Those were pitchers that were not expected to be "A" level prospects right away. This year's top college pitchers all have a chance to be the #1 overall pick depending on how they finish out the season.

And as a side note, I am worried about Rondon and that an injury might be imminent for him.
That is very true about the placement of those picks. A guy we're picking at #3 will be much higher in quality than those other 3 forgettable ones.

I do not buy into the Rondon is headed for trouble stuff. You have to take into account who is writing those articles. It is true that he's been throwing a ton of pitches (typically 110-115) in most of his starts. But I really doubt that he's going to break down as soon as he gets into a professional pitching program. Even skinny little Mike Sirotka who was abused even worse at VTech lasted a couple of years before succumbing to injury.

If the other teams want to pass on him, I will say thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
That is very true about the placement of those picks. A guy we're picking at #3 will be much higher in quality than those other 3 forgettable ones.

I do not buy into the Rondon is headed for trouble stuff. You have to take into account who is writing those articles. It is true that he's been throwing a ton of pitches (typically 110-115) in most of his starts. But I really doubt that he's going to break down as soon as he gets into a professional pitching program. Even skinny little Mike Sirotka who was abused even worse at VTech lasted a couple of years before succumbing to injury.

If the other teams want to pass on him, I will say thanks.
Same, The idea on Rondon and Sale... is well... beautiful
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeshot17 View Post
same, the idea on rondon and sale... Is well... Beautiful
+1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.