White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 05:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default 2014 Draft Article

Looks like the scouting department has been placing emphasis on the premium arms for the first pick. Doesn't necessarily mean they're going to go that direction, but there are some really special talents this year.

White Sox taking time to prepare for Draft

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM
WSI Regular

Heading into this season I was very much wanting them to draft a bat (Alex Jackson or best college bat available), but now seeing this offense clicking and seeing the lack of pitching depth I'm more open to an arm. But, it would have to be one of the top three college pitchers. They could potentially be in the rotation next June helping out pretty quickly. I am still very weary of the risks though of taking a pitcher in the first round due to the injury risk.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Heading into this season I was very much wanting them to draft a bat (Alex Jackson or best college bat available), but now seeing this offense clicking and seeing the lack of pitching depth I'm more open to an arm. But, it would have to be one of the top three college pitchers. They could potentially be in the rotation next June helping out pretty quickly. I am still very weary of the risks though of taking a pitcher in the first round due to the injury risk.
At #3, I just think they just take the best player available. High school pitchers make me extremely nervous, but I guess picking this high in the draft doesn't occur too often for this organization, so why not take a chance?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Did you see the article about how Carlos Rodon is being overworked?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...rodon-decision

Kind of scary that he's being pushed so hard since NC State because isn't playing to expectations.

If the Astros get gunshy, that could really shake up the draft.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Did you see the article about how Carlos Rodon is being overworked?

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...rodon-decision

Kind of scary that he's being pushed so hard since NC State because isn't playing to expectations.

If the Astros get gunshy, that could really shake up the draft.
Just as scary is the fact that he has pitched at a 50-55 rated fastball all year. Not what you'd expect from an overall #1. It would certainly be enough to make me leery, if I were a GM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
When you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current MLB needs. You just take BPA and figure it out later.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
when you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current mlb needs. You just take bpa and figure it out later.
+1
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
When you're drafting #3 overall you don't shoehorn your pick to fit current MLB needs. You just take BPA and figure it out later.
Well with our current rebuilding/retooling plan of getting major league ready players grabbing one of the 3 college pitchers fits that plan. Also taking either of them at the #3 slot wouldn't be a reach. I think you take the player you think has the best chance of making it to the show and fulfilling the expectations of a #3 pick. The baseball draft is a crapshoot almost, but by taking a college player, it takes some of the risk away because you have a better idea of who that player is.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well with our current rebuilding/retooling plan of getting major league ready players grabbing one of the 3 college pitchers fits that plan. Also taking either of them at the #3 slot wouldn't be a reach. I think you take the player you think has the best chance of making it to the show and fulfilling the expectations of a #3 pick. The baseball draft is a crapshoot almost, but by taking a college player, it takes some of the risk away because you have a better idea of who that player is.
Kind of, but leaning to much on this approach gives you Aaron Poreda, Kyle Mccullough and Lance Broadway
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Kind of, but leaning to much on this approach gives you Aaron Poreda, Kyle Mccullough and Lance Broadway
Well it's kind of different, those were picks made in the back end of the first round. Those were pitchers that were not expected to be "A" level prospects right away. This year's top college pitchers all have a chance to be the #1 overall pick depending on how they finish out the season.

And as a side note, I am worried about Rondon and that an injury might be imminent for him.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Well it's kind of different, those were picks made in the back end of the first round. Those were pitchers that were not expected to be "A" level prospects right away. This year's top college pitchers all have a chance to be the #1 overall pick depending on how they finish out the season.

And as a side note, I am worried about Rondon and that an injury might be imminent for him.
That is very true about the placement of those picks. A guy we're picking at #3 will be much higher in quality than those other 3 forgettable ones.

I do not buy into the Rondon is headed for trouble stuff. You have to take into account who is writing those articles. It is true that he's been throwing a ton of pitches (typically 110-115) in most of his starts. But I really doubt that he's going to break down as soon as he gets into a professional pitching program. Even skinny little Mike Sirotka who was abused even worse at VTech lasted a couple of years before succumbing to injury.

If the other teams want to pass on him, I will say thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
That is very true about the placement of those picks. A guy we're picking at #3 will be much higher in quality than those other 3 forgettable ones.

I do not buy into the Rondon is headed for trouble stuff. You have to take into account who is writing those articles. It is true that he's been throwing a ton of pitches (typically 110-115) in most of his starts. But I really doubt that he's going to break down as soon as he gets into a professional pitching program. Even skinny little Mike Sirotka who was abused even worse at VTech lasted a couple of years before succumbing to injury.

If the other teams want to pass on him, I will say thanks.
Same, The idea on Rondon and Sale... is well... beautiful
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeshot17 View Post
same, the idea on rondon and sale... Is well... Beautiful
+1