White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
They do when they have a .372 OBP and a 132 wRC+.
As a White Sox fan- I truly hope you're right- he's also hitting .225 w/RISP- so I don't really see anything meaningul coming in return for a few month's of his services.

He's been on the market as a salary dump now for a few years with no takers- most of his improvement this year is due to reduced exposure to LHPs (with a slight uptick in results vs. RHPs)
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
As a White Sox fan- I truly hope you're right- he's also hitting .225 w/RISP- so I don't really see anything meaningul coming in return for a few month's of his services.
The Sox turned Jake Peavy into a really solid MLB-ready prospect and three low-level guys worth looking at despite the fact that Peavy was owed more money over more years and, though I know he didn't have the same performance baggage as Adam, represented a real significant injury risk and was having a down year in 2013 when he was dealt. Don't want to delve too deep into how to judge pitchers vs. hitters, but for simplicty's sake, Dunn's 2014 OPS+ (his measure of offensive production against the league average) is 133, whereas Peavy's ERA+ with the Sox in 2013 was 99.

Bottom line is if someone out there wants/needs a LH bat, there are going to be few available as attractive as Dunn.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox turned Jake Peavy into a really solid MLB-ready prospect and three low-level guys worth looking at despite the fact that Peavy was owed more money over more years and, though I know he didn't have the same performance baggage as Adam, represented a real significant injury risk and was having a down year in 2013 when he was dealt. Don't want to delve too deep into how to judge pitchers vs. hitters, but for simplicty's sake, Dunn's 2014 OPS+ (his measure of offensive production against the league average) is 133, whereas Peavy's ERA+ with the Sox in 2013 was 99.

Bottom line is if someone out there wants/needs a LH bat, there are going to be few available as attractive as Dunn.
You don't want to wish an injury on anyone, so I'll just hope a team has a use for a power LH bat with a higher propensity to walk or HR, albeit a very high K rate.

I think to your point TB that the Sox may have been unwilling to eat enough of this year's deal to trade him or wanted too much in prospects as an offset to eat salary. At some point we have to seek out the best decision to make on a trade or keeping him. If things are close with Det though, I expect him to stay for a while.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
But even that is false.

Are we getting an A+, top 100 prospect for Dunn, probably not. Are we getting some B specs, I am sure.
Trading partners for Dunn wouldn't be looking at statistical arguments. They would be looking at what they can expect from him in the role they would expect for the remainder of the season. He is particularly vulnerable against late left-handed relief.

A team could pick up Dunn because there is a chance that he could help them. He isn't someone who demands a prospect that a team values.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Trading partners for Dunn wouldn't be looking at statistical arguments. They would be looking at what they can expect from him in the role they would expect for the remainder of the season. He is particularly vulnerable against late left-handed relief.

A team could pick up Dunn because there is a chance that he could help them. He isn't someone who demands a prospect that a team values.
I think just in this particular case, a team that has no options at 1B or DH is at a disadvantage in negotiations. The Sox have a DH with Power that can play 1B and are at an advantage.

Right now it is kinda moot though. Sox are in a better position to win than the Rangers. They won't be selling just yet.

If they do, I would like to see RHP or 3B addressed. I believe the Sox can solve OF issues in free agency and possibly with internal prospects.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I think just in this particular case, a team that has no options at 1B or DH is at a disadvantage in negotiations. The Sox have a DH with Power that can play 1B and are at an advantage.

Right now it is kinda moot though. Sox are in a better position to win than the Rangers. They won't be selling just yet.

If they do, I would like to see RHP or 3B addressed. I believe the Sox can solve OF issues in free agency and possibly with internal prospects.
I would be very surprised to see the White Sox "address" third base. I don't believe the White Sox believe they have a problem at third base, for the present or near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any team wanting what Dunn has to offer for the remainder of this season so badly that they would give up much for him. I certainly don't see any sort of a bidding war for his services.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I would be very surprised to see the White Sox "address" third base. I don't believe the White Sox believe they have a problem at third base, for the present or near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any team wanting what Dunn has to offer for the remainder of this season so badly that they would give up much for him. I certainly don't see any sort of a bidding war for his services.
1 Homerun from 3B is a little weak. I like Davidson's potential, but I don't think it's a lock he's going to be the 3Bman of the future.

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake. Could possibly find a future DH going that route.

If Connor plans on hitting .350 this year... then I guess I'll eat crow.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post

They aren't going to prioritize a 3rd baseman- they have Gillaspie and Davidson pegged for 3rd.

There are no (near term) internal prospects for OFs- the next real prospect is Hawkins at High-A.

I'm pretty sure Dunn has been on the market for at least a year- the reason he's still on the Sox is that no one wants him- but he's prob off the market for a few weeks while they assess if they are really in the hunt for 2014.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Yep- no way a 20 HR 3rd base prospect is getting moved for a few months of Dunn's services-
Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yep- no way a 20 HR 3rd base prospect is getting moved for a few months of Dunn's services-
Seriously, thank you. The lack of reality in this thread is somewhat disturbing for this site.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Seriously, thank you. The lack of reality in this thread is somewhat disturbing for this site.
Yeah, I don't know where you guys are getting that from this thread, I don't see anyone suggesting the Sox are going to get some kind of bluechip caliber player for Dunn.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, I don't know where you guys are getting that from this thread, I don't see anyone suggesting the Sox are going to get some kind of bluechip caliber player for Dunn.
From a post in this thread-

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake
Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:

Even if he is, I'd definitely listen for a 3Bman who has 20+ HR potential at least for competition's sake
Oh **** you're right, OK, I skipped over that, all right, that is a crazy trade proposal but overall I'd say this thread is pretty grounded in regards to what the Sox can realistically fetch for Dunn.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They aren't going to prioritize a 3rd baseman- they have Gillaspie and Davidson pegged for 3rd.

There are no (near term) internal prospects for OFs- the next real prospect is Hawkins at High-A.

I'm pretty sure Dunn has been on the market for at least a year- the reason he's still on the Sox is that no one wants him- but he's prob off the market for a few weeks while they assess if they are really in the hunt for 2014.
Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year. Then they'll decide on what to do with Viciedo - keep or part ways. We should have enough guys in the system here to at least have a back-up OF even if we need to get a 3rd starter.

I have no problem with a Conor/Matt competition at 3B for next year. You could also throw Beckham/Semien/Garcia in there depending on what's available. I don't think they'd switch Gordon from 2B but you never know.

Last edited by soxfanreggie; 06-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

A quote taken from a response that 3B is locked down by Connor Gillaspie (who has 0 homeruns this year and is hitting about .100 points better than his career average) and Davidson who is struggling to hit the ball in the minors.

The Sox have Danks, Sale, Quintana, and just drafted Rodon (All LHP). They have Dunn, Abreu, and Konerko, and a lot of utility players.

I see the Rangers with a serious problem at DH/1B and no dominant LHP in the lineup. Trades often involve more than one player. It'd be nice if the Sox could figure something out while Dunn is hitting homeruns. My upgrade preference is 3B which is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

As stated before though, the Rangers aren't really contending so it is moot.