White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year. Then they'll decide on what to do with Viciedo - keep or part ways. We should have enough guys in the system here to at least have a back-up OF even if we need to get a 3rd starter.

I have no problem with a Conor/Matt competition at 3B for next year. You could also throw Beckham/Semien/Garcia in there depending on what's available. I don't think they'd switch Gordon from 2B but you never know.
Eaton/Garcia are likely locking down the OF. I believe the Sox need to go to free agency for a 3rd OFer and DH. There's quite a few options.

The Sox do have Micah Johnson who did very well in AA and has just a handful of games with Charlotte. Moving him to the OF for a reason.

Last edited by balke; 06-11-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
A quote taken from a response that 3B is locked down by Connor Gillaspie (who has 0 homeruns this year and is hitting about .100 points better than his career average) and Davidson who is struggling to hit the ball in the minors.

The Sox have Danks, Sale, Quintana, and just drafted Rodon (All LHP). They have Dunn, Abreu, and Konerko, and a lot of utility players.

I see the Rangers with a serious problem at DH/1B and no dominant LHP in the lineup. Trades often involve more than one player. It'd be nice if the Sox could figure something out while Dunn is hitting homeruns. My upgrade preference is 3B which is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

As stated before though, the Rangers aren't really contending so it is moot.
You're not suggesting a trade of PK or Abreu as a first base/DH option, are you? Thus, you are likely thinking Dunn or Viciedo?

With how Danks is throwing lately, he may be a trade option. I could see him liking pitching for Texas. The better he throws, the more attractive a trade option he becomes. Out of Sale, Quintana, and Danks, I think he'd be the one up for trade. Although if we got the right offer for Quintana, I'm sure he'd be dealt. I don't think any team would give us what we'd ask for Sale or Abreu.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM
WSI Prelate

I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year. Unless the Sox can find a LH hitting outfielder or another 1B/DH type to complement Abreu, they won't have any LH power in the lineup. He's reasonably effective if he only faces RHP.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year. Unless the Sox can find a LH hitting outfielder or another 1B/DH type to complement Abreu, they won't have any LH power in the lineup. He's reasonably effective if he only faces RHP.
I wouldn't mind Victor Martinez for DH next year

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Besides Eaton and Garcia being out there next year, I have a feeling Jordan Danks will get a look at the OF next year.
The guy is a marginal 25th man on a ML roster. If he is getting a look, this team is in huge trouble.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM
WSI Guru

Danks just moved into 2nd place, all-time, for games played on the Charlotte Knights.

First place, you ask?

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I wonder if it wouldn't be the worst move to re-sign Dunn for next year.
You cannot forgive (or forget) Adam Dunn for his 2011 and 2013 performances under any circumstances. The dude stole money from the organization. Nice guy, glad he's seeing the ball better this year, but don't let "door hit behind" on the way out...
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Better move would be for him to get hot for a month and move him in July.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. He's well-liked in the clubhouse and his options for 2015 have to be very limited. Unless a team like Seattle wants to throw around more wheel barrows full of cash, where is Dunn going to play? A Abreu/Dunn combo at 1B and DH isn't so bad.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon44 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. He's well-liked in the clubhouse and his options for 2015 have to be very limited. Unless a team like Seattle wants to throw around more wheel barrows full of cash, where is Dunn going to play? A Abreu/Dunn combo at 1B and DH isn't so bad.
Dunn is not the future. You've got Viciedo(?)/Davidson/Abreu/Garcia to rotate thru the DH slot. There is no way Dunn is going to be brought back, whether he's liked in the clubhouse or not.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I said it in another thread, and got torn apart, but I have a feeling that the Sox re-sign Dunn.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't think the Sox have much of a choice. Dunn didn't really want to be here in the first place, and certainly doesn't seem like he's been happy in his time here.

He's already got life plans to make money outside of baseball. I doubt he comes back to Chicago even if the money is right.

Nelson Cruz is a free agent next offseason. Morales, Hanley, VMart, Butler, Melky Cabrera. The Sox can do a variety of things to replace him. There should be plenty of money on the books.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:24 AM
WSI Regular

I would much rather spend money on either Victor Martinez or Nick Markakis (he has a club option next year for like 19 mil, probably won't be picked up for that much).

As far as getting a righty, the Sox have the money to go get James Shields this offseason, but my gut tells me they will go pull off a deal for starter at some point in the next 12 months.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 AM

If they go for a starting pitcher, I hope it would be a righty.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Dunn is not the future. You've got Viciedo(?)/Davidson/Abreu/Garcia to rotate thru the DH slot. There is no way Dunn is going to be brought back, whether he's liked in the clubhouse or not.
I agree that it's better to have a surplus of position players who hit well, and use the DH slot to keep them in the lineup but also keep them fresh. I would rather find a LH hitting OF with some power, but if no such player is available, Dunn wouldn't be the worst backup plan.

Incidentally, besides Harold Baines and Robin Ventura, what other even decent LH hitters have the Sox drafted and developed the last 40 years?