White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who should the Sox take with their first pick in the '14 Draft?
Brady Aiken, LHP, San Diego Cathedral Catholic HS 5 7.94%
Carlos Rodon, LHP, NC State 33 52.38%
Tyler Kolek, RHP, Shepherd (Texas) HS 18 28.57%
Alex Jackson, C-OF, San Diego Rancho Bernardo HS 0 0%
Aaron Nola, RHP, LSU 4 6.35%
Casey Gillaspie, 1B, Wichita State (teal implied) 0 0%
Someone else 2 3.17%
The Churro guy 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
WSI Regular

Eck....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_draft_picks
Old 06-05-2014, 03:49 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
I seem to remember Nancy playing the Hudson 3-2700 theme when Steve Bueschele came to bat for the Rangers.

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W
August 30 (2) L
September 14 L
September 27 W

Next Game: ??
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFanCPA View Post
What really leaves a bad taste in my mouth in the 1997 draft--5 1st rounders, all hot garbage.

Risk

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Old 06-05-2014, 06:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Is anyone else's "live" feed of the draft on mlb.com running an hour behind?

Edit: nm...apparently the draft "started" at 5EST, but the first pick is not until 6EST. Annoying.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 PM
WSI Regular

Rodon was my least fav of the top 3.

His stuff seems flat, and his 91-92 mph fastball doesn't scream 'power arm' like I hear many calling him. Obviously as he gets older and stronger that could change, but everyone's also saying how 'very very' close he is to getting a call up. That slider doesn't seem too 'awesome' to me. Plus his violent head jerk scares me. He reminds me of Clayton Richard.

Would have preferred Kolek out of the Bunch, and wouldn't have hated Aiken.

Just curious, who do you think will have the best career out of the 3 and why?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
His stuff seems flat, and his 91-92 mph fastball doesn't scream 'power arm' like I hear many calling him. Obviously as he gets older and stronger that could change, but everyone's also saying how 'very very' close he is to getting a call up. That slider doesn't seem too 'awesome' to me. Plus his violent head jerk scares me. He reminds me of Clayton Richard.
Rodon does not pitch at 91-92, his slider is wicked. Comparing Carlos Rodon to Clayton Richard is borderline insane.

Where did you come up with this ridiculousness?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 AM
WSI Regular

You're right.

He's a lock to be a number 1 ace of our staff for many years to come. Because...you know for sure and provided a lot of great analysis of your own, and didn't just agree with everyone else. Top draft picks have never failed to deliver, and nothing but bright skies ahead.

I appreciate your insight.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You're right.

He's a lock to be a number 1 ace of our staff for many years to come. Because...you know for sure and provided a lot of great analysis of your own, and didn't just agree with everyone else. Top draft picks have never failed to deliver, and nothing but bright skies ahead.

Put the straw man aside. Richard is a pretty ****ty comparison. Richard had a fastball that topped out at 90-91 with hardly average offspeed. Rodon sits at 91-92 on a bad day, and will probably be more consistently in the 93-95 range, with an absolutely devastating slider that's generally considered to be the best single pitch in the draft. Richard averaged less than a strikeout per inning in the Big 10. Rodon averaged more than 11 per 9 in the ACC.

I think the future is very bright for Rodon. What's your reasoning for thinking otherwise?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

His stuff seems flat, and his 91-92 mph fastball
That's his slider at 91, not his fastball.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You're right.

Or you could not go straight to hyperbole and look at the player in earnest. Rodon is as close, high upside and sure as anyone we could have possibly picked. There's no sure things, not even close, but he has the goods.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

I hope coop works with him right away. After watching the video of his pitches on the trib site, my untrained eye spotted him tipping pitches by his wrist in the windup. He seems strong and I always love a power lefty, but that hitch needs works. I like the slider movement to rights for sure. I'm hoping whatever scout said "sale" was scouting this lefty too.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Would have preferred Kolek out of the Bunch, and wouldn't have hated Aiken.

Just curious, who do you think will have the best career out of the 3 and why?
His stuff and mechanics scare me a lot less that how NC State tried to burn his arm out this year in a vain attempt to make the College World Series.

I think he's the surest bet out of the three, with the lowest potential ceiling, although that still a top 2 starter, and if Coop does his magic we could have a heck of a starting lefty tandem of Sale and Rodon.

Aiken could be the best if the Astros are patient with him, Kolek looks like an injury risk with that kind of power curve at that arm angle as a high schooler.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk View Post
What really leaves a bad taste in my mouth in the 1997 draft--5 1st rounders, all hot garbage.

Risk
Jim Parque was decent for us in 2000 (13-6 with a 4.28 ERA) but his essentially career-ending injury to his shoulder stopped that.

So far it looks like we got a guy who could be throwing out of the pen this year and (for as much money as he'll get) ready to start next year. With our next pick, we get a HS kid who has a lot of talent and could develop in the next few years.

Hopefully in the next couple of picks today we look at a catcher.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You're right.

He's a lock to be a number 1 ace of our staff for many years to come. Because...you know for sure and provided a lot of great analysis of your own, and didn't just agree with everyone else.
I encourage you to look at these things called "scouting reports", perhaps then you won't make such foolish statements....
Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Rodon does not pitch at 91-92, his slider is wicked. Comparing Carlos Rodon to Clayton Richard is borderline insane.

Where did you come up with this ridiculousness?
What in the world?

The guy who literally scouts project to have an above all-star level fastball sits 91-92, and the guy with a hall of came potential slider is Clayton Richard?

The best draft pick since Chris Sale, and one of the best value's in White Sox history is being compared to Clayton Richard?