White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2004, 11:06 PM
WSI Regular

Default AA Prospects

It was great to see Kris Honel pitch yesterday in Birmingham(so be it only an inning). He walked one batter and faced the minimum of 3 batters in the 8th inning. A good first step...but he has a long way to go. I've seen Mike Morse mentioned on here a few times....a 6-4 shortstop who has really come on offensively and plays good defense. I don't think I've ever seen a power shortstop prospect in all my years of following the Sox. Even though he probably will not play shortstop long term it is amazing this guy has not been on the radar screen for prospects. I've also seen Michael Spidale's name on here....this guy is a gamer and most importantly grew up a Sox fan....so he know's and echoes our passion for the Sox. Jeff Bajenaru (closer) is solid and hopefully will get a looksie down the road. Ruddy Yan is a slap-hitter and is considered the fastest guy in the organization. His average has dipped so the jury is out on his offense.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie Comiskey
It was great to see Kris Honel pitch yesterday in Birmingham(so be it only an inning). He walked one batter and faced the minimum of 3 batters in the 8th inning. A good first step...but he has a long way to go. I've seen Mike Morse mentioned on here a few times....a 6-4 shortstop who has really come on offensively and plays good defense. I don't think I've ever seen a power shortstop prospect in all my years of following the Sox. Even though he probably will not play shortstop long term it is amazing this guy has not been on the radar screen for prospects. I've also seen Michael Spidale's name on here....this guy is a gamer and most importantly grew up a Sox fan....so he know's and echoes our passion for the Sox. Jeff Bajenaru (closer) is solid and hopefully will get a looksie down the road. Ruddy Yan is a slap-hitter and is considered the fastest guy in the organization. His average has dipped so the jury is out on his offense.
All these guys are suspect prospects for variious reasons. Baj probably has the best pro potential, despite his age, he'd lost a year or more to elbow surgery. Morse has never hit until now, so he will have to keep it up long-term, and he has Jeff Kent-type range, so he is more of a corner IF'er but may be able to play some 2b, but not ideal by any means.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

And when they're eventually called up, if KW doesn't trade them all away for a few 3 month rentals that JR has no intention of resigning, they'll be emasculated for all of White Sox Nation to see.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKilla
And when they're eventually called up, if KW doesn't trade them all away for a few 3 month rentals that JR has no intention of resigning, they'll be emasculated for all of White Sox Nation to see.
Yeah, because outside of Kip Wells, there are SO many prospects that we miss that he's dealt.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Yeah, because outside of Kip Wells, there are SO many prospects that we miss that he's dealt.
And that little factoid you spew as sarcasm should really bug the hell out of you.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Am I the only one who doesnt miss Kip Wells? Just thought I'd ask
Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearso66
Dealing Kip, or anyone for that matter, doesn't bother me.

It's who KW got for him. Ritchie wasn't worth Wells, Lowe, OR Fogg..... let alone all 3 of them.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

It's who KW got for him. Ritchie wasn't worth Wells, Lowe, OR Fogg..... let alone all 3 of them.
I'd have to say it was a risk, and definitally a bad trade, but you can't seriously say that at the time you wouldnt have given up Lowe or Fogg for him. I would have given up both. Yes all 3 was bad, and that was known at the time. But only hindsight gives you the view that you wouldn't have traded any one of those guys for him.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Old 06-22-2004, 06:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Getting back to Morse, he and two other Barons were suspended for 15 days by Birmington

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1782075
Old 06-22-2004, 09:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearso66
At least Wells has a much lower ERA then 11.97. As bad a year as he is having now, I'm betting the sox would have a few more wins right now if Wells was in the 5th starter role. A few more wins means the difference between being in first place by a game or 2 or being 2 games out of third.

Bob
Old 06-22-2004, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
And that little factoid you spew as sarcasm should really bug the hell out of you.
Huh? He's dealt the right ones, meaning the ones that haven't turned into anything. He didn't deal Crede.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41
At least Wells has a much lower ERA then 11.97. As bad a year as he is having now, I'm betting the sox would have a few more wins right now if Wells was in the 5th starter role. A few more wins means the difference between being in first place by a game or 2 or being 2 games out of third.

Bob
Before Billy Koch, there was Kip Wells. El Crappo don el Pantalones! (I have no idea if my Spanish is grammatically correct, most likely not). Pittsburg is perfect for Kip. No pressure. Here, he'd have made Danny Wright look like an All-Star.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Wow, Fogg and Lowe have been so terrific, the Sox should never have taken a chance on dealing them in a risky move...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosox41

Bob
There was no way of telling that our 5th starter would have that bad of an ERA. And it's really inflated by Munoz on Saturday. Kip was a headcase, and couldnt pitch with any pressure. Who knows, if he's on this team, maybe he does have an ERA above 12. Especially with the run support the 5th starter has been getting