White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
WSI Prelate

What's the latest on Valido and Sweeney?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
What's the latest on Valido and Sweeney?
Valido struggled with the bat at Kanny but should be fine in the long run. Currently, he's at .248 AVE / .304 OBP / .332 SLG with 21 SB, 23 BB, 43 SO, and 15 errors.

Sweeney struggled early after being assigned to W-S out of spring training. That's a high level for a fellow who is just one year removed from HS. He's done better lately and is now at .266 / .321 / .364 with 22 BB and 48 SO for the season.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Reed dominated in half a season as did Brian Anderson.
However, please note that neither of these players played in W-S in their first year (short season) of pro ball. After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury and Reed played the entire season in Kannapolis.

Fields is ahead of the game...
Old 07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
However, please note that neither of these players played in W-S in their first year (short season) of pro ball. After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury and Reed played the entire season in Kannapolis.

Fields is ahead of the game...
Actually, Anderson, Sweeney and Nanita all played last year in Great Falls of the Pioneer League, which is a more advanced league than the Appy League.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
After being drafted Anderson played 13 games in Bristol and then sat out the rest of the season with an injury
Ah crap, my bad. I meant Great Falls.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 PM
WSI Regular

I was under the impression that Bristol was tougher than Great Falls, that's why Gio Gonzalez went their instead of Great Falls. Am i wrong.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
WSI Personality

Bristol is typically for the high schoolers, while Great Falls gets the more advanced players. This year everything is a bit different because the draft was later then ever.

They ended up pushing the rules back for Rookie League and older players are allowed to play. Thats why their are more minor league vets down in rookie then ever before.

Gio is being eased in slowly. He'll go to Great Falls soon and then Kanny by the end of the year.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:35 PM
WSI Regular

Default Ltp

I know his average is terrible and he's had a few SO's and NO extra-base hits. But it seems like he's having good at-bats and not just swinging and missing anymore. It appears as if he might be able to contribute this seasone. any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
Bristol is typically for the high schoolers, while Great Falls gets the more advanced players. This year everything is a bit different because the draft was later then ever.

They ended up pushing the rules back for Rookie League and older players are allowed to play. Thats why their are more minor league vets down in rookie then ever before.

Gio is being eased in slowly. He'll go to Great Falls soon and then Kanny by the end of the year.
Bristol was the Sox Advanced Rookie team until last year when they left Arizona and signed an agreement with Great Falls. The Sox then chose Great Falls to be their higher level rookie team and sent the young guys to Bristol. That change is just two seasons old. I situations like the Sox with two rookie teams outside of Florida and Arizona, the team basically chooses which team to treat as the advanced level. There isn't that much difference in the Appy and Pioneer Leagues themselves.

I believe if Gio is ready to move, he will go straight to Kanny. That is not set in stone, but has been discussed. The Sox know he is too good for the level he is at now, but after missing some time in HS, and with his slight frame, the Sox are taking it slow with him. I would be surprised to see him go to Great Falls.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:33 PM
WSI Personality

He has a great arm no doubt, but a high school pitcher with as devestating a breaking pitch as Gonzalez is a pretty huge risk. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes to 21 without an injury to his arm.

With the money they spent on Lumsden, Gonzalez, Whisler, Lucy, and Liotta, they could have had Ferris, Sazuki, and Syzmanski in addition to Fields. That would have been a terrific draft.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
He has a great arm no doubt, but a high school pitcher with as devestating a breaking pitch as Gonzalez is a pretty huge risk. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if he makes to 21 without an injury to his arm.

With the money they spent on Lumsden, Gonzalez, Whisler, Lucy, and Liotta, they could have had Ferris, Sazuki, and Syzmanski in addition to Fields. That would have been a terrific draft.
"you're a moron" doesn't begin to describe things.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:33 AM
WSI Regular

Not a great night for the minor league system. Munoz got roughed up again yesterday. After a hot start, Anderson's average dipped below 300 tonight. Josh "Golden Sombraro" Fields SO 4 times. Gio Gonzalez got roughed up in the first tonight (Although he came back and threw 4 shutout innings and his era is still in the mid-2's). Nanita had a good night, and Sweeney continues to swing a hot back (above 270, pretty impressive for a guy his age if you ask me). Also, i think some people were a bit critical of Wes Whisler. He's gotten his average to about 230 while dropping his era into the 3's. Not bad for a guy pulling double duty AND going directly to A ball.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
"you're a moron" doesn't begin to describe things.
Wes Whisler has Prior-like mechanics. It doesn't actually mean anything though.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealz
Wes Whisler has Prior-like mechanics. It doesn't actually mean anything though.
Let me know next tiime you see some of these guys play.

what's you problem? Have you ever seen any of these guys play, or do you just prefer to bitch up a storm? Describing his mechanics as prior-like only gives the reader a visualization of his pitchinng mechanics. His leg driive, physical size, arm angle and release are all VERY similar toto Mark Prior. That means just that, nothing more.

The Mental Midget Police need to write this tool a ticket.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Let me know next tiime you see some of these guys play.

what's you problem? Have you ever seen any of these guys play, or do you just prefer to bitch up a storm? Describing his mechanics as prior-like only gives the reader a visualization of his pitchinng mechanics. His leg driive, physical size, arm angle and release are all VERY similar toto Mark Prior. That means just that, nothing more.

The Mental Midget Police need to write this tool a ticket.

You don't take constructive criticism well.

Because you saw these guys play means nothing. What if you're as bad a talent evaluator as Shaffer?