White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2004, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Andy Gonzalez was promoted to Birmingham

The title of the thread says it all.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
The title of the thread says it all.
Happy for him. Good kid, and I hope he keeps working at the plate. He makes a lot of contact and walks a great deal, so I'm hoping his average keeps coming around.

May be a lot of movement over the next 24-48 hours.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
May be a lot of movement over the next 24-48 hours.
Do you know something and Can't say or do you know nothing and can only say this?
Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 PM
WSI Regular

Does that mean Nanita is moving to fill his hole at W-S.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekijawa
Do you know something and Can't say or do you know nothing and can only say this?
If I knew something, I'd say it, LOL! Seriously, though. This time of year is when a lot of movement is made. People are shuffled around, promoted, traded, filling injury slots. Gonzalez moving up opens a hole for someone at ever level from W-S down, essentially. This time of year is also when players making progress at rookie ball are promoted.

Pure speculation, but there is a nice handful of players in Kanny and W-S that are ready to move up. I hope Rogo (though he's earned a promotion) and a few others are still in W-S so I can talk to them when I'm there.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:34 PM
WSI Personality

He'll probably go back down to Winston Salem in a few weeks. Reyes was placed on the disabled list for the Barons and they needed a starting shortstop.

One thing I want to say about Gonzo is he's really starting to show signs of once again becoming the shortstop of the future. Everytime I've seen him play he makes a web gem. He's got great range and a strong arm, although he's still prone to errors, but with time, those will go away.

I love the fact that he really has a good eye and his swing has come a long way from what I saw of him last year.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
One thing I want to say about Gonzo is he's really starting to show signs of once again becoming the shortstop of the future. Everytime I've seen him play he makes a web gem. He's got great range and a strong arm, although he's still prone to errors, but with time, those will go away.
This raises an interesting point. Gonzo hasn't playerd much SS lately, because Lopez is the primary SS at W-S. IIRC, Lopez was at 2B with Gonzo at SS in Kanny last season. Has the organization decided that Lopez is a better SS than Gonzo at this point?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
This raises an interesting point. Gonzo hasn't playerd much SS lately, because Lopez is the primary SS at W-S. IIRC, Lopez was at 2B with Gonzo at SS in Kanny last season. Has the organization decided that Lopez is a better SS than Gonzo at this point?
I don't think so. Once Fields was signed, Lopez moved back to 2nd with Andy playing short. All I can say is the two have tremendous chemistry and their were some amazing plays. They will be fun to watch if they both can make it up. Both have the tools to do it, just needs to be seen whether they can hit enough.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:55 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisoxfn
He'll probably go back down to Winston Salem in a few weeks. Reyes was placed on the disabled list for the Barons and they needed a starting shortstop.

I love the fact that he really has a good eye and his swing has come a long way from what I saw of him last year.
I think maturity is the biggest reason for his improvement this year. If he performs well, I could see him staying at Birmingham. Reyes could get released if Andy forces the issue with his play. So far he has looked somewhat overmatched at the plate. It's only two nights, so no reason to judge in haste, but I haven't seen a lot of good swings out of him yet.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:09 PM
WSI Regular

How come Mighty Casey Rogowski is still in A-ball?

-Basten from WSI, Net
Old 07-17-2004, 11:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Happy for him. Good kid, and I hope he keeps working at the plate. He makes a lot of contact and walks a great deal, so I'm hoping his average keeps coming around.
You're right Randar. I'd never noticed it before but he walks at an impressive clip. With his defense if he can keep that plate discipline up and hit for decent average he's a solid prospect.

.252/.316/.343 for Seattle in 2005

23 for 58 with 4 2Bs, 7 BBs, and 3 SBs for Seattle in 2004

.305/.366/.455 with 13 SB in 15 Attempts at AAA Tacoma in 2004